PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal dash light hyperflashes, rear light doesn't work - 2015 RT-S - Any Ideas?

Scarlet
09-01-2021, 11:31 AM
I have a 2015 Spyder RT S. The right rear turn signal light has stopped working. I have done the following:

Installed a new bulb - problem not solved.
Installed the defective bulb on the left rear side and it worked; clearly the bulb is not the problem.
Switched the right rear cluster of lights to the left side of the bike and every light worked! Switched the left rear cluster of lights to the right side of the bike and the turn signal light did not work; clearly the light clusters and the wiring within them are not the problem.
Tried Lamonsters technique of holding down the hazard light button for 30 seconds then turning it off, etc did not solve the problem. It did however correct the hyper flash I was seeing on the front instrument cluster when I pressed the right turn signal switch.
Turning on the hazard lights results in 3 out of 4 flashing; the right rear one not working.
I have checked for voltage at both rear turn signal sockets and I get between 6 and 12 volts, as per spec.

I am now at wits end; does anyone have any bright ideas, pun intended? Your help is always appreciated.

Haze
09-01-2021, 10:20 PM
Have you checked that the right rear bulb socket (Brass part) has a good ground?

Bfromla
09-02-2021, 12:57 AM
have had a trailer hitch harness mess mine up. Just the Right Rear. Took a min to find but with rest of blinkers working that was only item mid stream. Some diode in harness not the module.

Scarlet
09-02-2021, 07:07 AM
Have you checked that the right rear bulb socket (Brass part) has a good ground?
Thank you for your input!

Ground appears good. Furthermore, the whole right rear light assembly (brake lights, turn signal light and reverse light) was plugged into the harness on the left side of the bike and every light worked. This suggests that there is no fault with any of the socket connections.

Scarlet
09-02-2021, 07:11 AM
Thank you for the input!

Where would I find this diode and what does it look like (I am better at understanding mechanical rather than electrical issues)?

Bfromla
09-02-2021, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the input!

Where would I find this diode and what does it look like (I am better at understanding mechanical rather than electrical issues)?

First off: Do you have a hitch & harness installed?:dontknow: sorry Have not found replacement diode As of yet, might be BRP special. However harness will be under seat & most rear panels. Varies per models

Scarlet
09-02-2021, 02:04 PM
First off: Do you have a hitch & harness installed?:dontknow: sorry Have not found replacement diode As of yet, might be BRP special. However harness will be under seat & most rear panels. Varies per models

I do not have a hitch and harness installed. Sounds like I will have to remove some additional body panels to access the wiring harness. Any thoughts as to whether it may be the turn signal switch in the handlebar cluster?

Bfromla
09-02-2021, 04:56 PM
If is only the rear blinker it is a connection in the middle somewhere No trailer harness should be easier to track.

IGETAROUND
09-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Thank you for your input!

Ground appears good. Furthermore, the whole right rear light assembly (brake lights, turn signal light and reverse light) was plugged into the harness on the left side of the bike and every light worked. This suggests that there is no fault with any of the socket connections.

This also suggest that the handle bar switch is functional. ( I am assuming that when you plugged the right side wiring harness that you switched the switch to the right) That will be the eextent of my contributions.

Al in Kazoo

Scarlet
04-01-2024, 04:02 PM
Right rear turn signal not working.
When pressing the right turn signal button, the dash turn signal lights hyper flash and the rear flasher does not come on. I managed to get rid of the hyper flash and when I turned on the ignition and pressed the right turn signal button everything worked fine… for 5 seconds. The right rear turn signal bulb started to dim and after 5 seconds or so, it was out, and the hyper flash issue resumed.
Any ideas what might be causing this?

Snoking1127
04-01-2024, 04:21 PM
Put a new bulb it!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-01-2024, 11:32 PM
Put a new bulb it!

:agree: I think that bulb has not quite failed yet but is going to soon .... The Hyper-flash on the dash is very similar to that of auto systems, in that they let you know the bulb is out .... Mike :thumbup:

Navydad
04-02-2024, 09:52 AM
Here's three votes for a new bulb.

Scarlet
04-02-2024, 11:55 AM
Put a new bulb it!

Putting in a new bulb was the very first thing I did - no change! I switched out the ‘supposed defective bulb’ for the left rear bulb and same issue on the right side. The ‘supposed defective bulb’ works fine on the left side rear of bike. This tells me that the bulb is not the problem. I even went as far as switching the two rear light clusters. The problem persists which tells me the light cluster is not the problem.
Could this be a wiring issue somewhere between the right rear light cluster and the turn signal light on the dash?

Quickdraw
04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
New LED bulb where it was a halogen or other type bulb before? Might be it needs a resistor.

Scarlet
04-03-2024, 06:37 AM
New LED bulb where it was a halogen or other type bulb before? Might be it needs a resistor.

Original bulb was OEM halogen type and new one is the same. All the lights on the bike are OEM. Someone suggested to me to check the wiring harness ground connections. Except for the negative terminal on the battery itself, does anyone know where there might be additional ground terminals on the frame or engine block? Perhaps one might be loose or corroded.

Mikey
04-03-2024, 06:41 AM
Put a meter on the bulb socket see if you have juice.