PDA

View Full Version : What is this Commodity surcharge???

Slugger103
08-30-2021, 07:25 PM
While cruising through the Can Am website looking at the 2022 RT models, I noticed this little charmer:
Commodity surcharge starting at $400 will apply. What the heck is that??? Just another way to make more cash without raising the base price?

Peter Aawen
08-30-2021, 07:36 PM
See posts #15 & 16 here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?143545-Newbie-with-questions-on-ordering-a-2022-model&highlight=Commodity

Looks like just another way to increase the price you hafta pay..... :rolleyes:

Bfromla
08-30-2021, 08:55 PM
Varies from dealer to dealer too:popcorn: some polite enough to not have. :sour:Course can’t find out till at paperwork stage of buying :gaah:

RICZ
08-30-2021, 09:06 PM
Our lovely Oregon governor instituted, on her own, a "privilege tax" on anything she construes to be a luxury item - all vehicles included. The more populous your county, the higher the tax. How wonderful is that.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-31-2021, 12:06 AM
See post 29 in the thread Peter linked to above.

Pirate
08-31-2021, 12:43 AM
Since Spyders are in such high demand, they are instituting a surcharge for the privilege of purchasing one. Dealers in CA charge an ADM which can vary from 1000-3k. That is over and above MSRP plus the usual fees.

Ex-Rocket
08-31-2021, 09:09 AM
I've got a solution to those fees, move. There are plenty of good states to live in. Just my 2 cents.

2dogs
08-31-2021, 12:25 PM
Dam, I just thought that was just a Harley thing. Now I guess we arrived at being a prestigious group of owners???? Other than that they can stick it in their ear. Buying a low-mileage used spyder from a private seller is probably the better way to go anyway.

2dogs
08-31-2021, 12:31 PM
I've got a solution to those fees, move. There are plenty of good states to live in. Just my 2 cents.

That's going on a lot now, however, it has nothing to do with spyders. Demographics are changing rapidly because people are voting with their feet. Great changes are ahead.

Vincef329
09-01-2021, 07:50 AM
So a couple weeks ago I took the plunge and ordered a new F3S. The dealer explained commodity surcharge as additional profit padding due to possible difficulty and price variations acquiring some parts.

ARtraveler
09-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Commodity Surcharge????

Something I am NOT going to pay for. I left my pumpkin trailer at home.

2dogs
09-01-2021, 12:40 PM
Possibly we may have to buy two spyders. One to ride and the second just so you'll have extra parts. How would it feel to watch your spyder collecting dust because you couldn't obtain a certain part? Who knows, spyders could end up as hot commodities for black market pedalers.

canamjhb
09-01-2021, 02:13 PM
I sure don't want to cross the line and get political here. But I think you can see a direct correlation of Commodity Surcharging and the cost to fuel and maintain the dealers' yacht. ;) ..... Jim

Baron14y
09-01-2021, 03:16 PM
Years ago they used to call it ADP. Additional dealer profit.

trikermutha
09-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Fancy way of price gouging . Or are we all paying for the new wages /bonuses that are employees are getting these days.

bigbadbrucie
09-01-2021, 04:47 PM
The way I see it, the commodity charge is just another excuse to thumb your nose at those charging it. You go and purchase elsewhere. Remember, the deal is not binding UNTIL you hand over the money. REFUSE to sign the purchase agreement until after you’ve seen the final accounting total. just my 2 pennies worth!

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-01-2021, 07:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays into price negotiations. I see where a $24,000 side by side has a CS of $250 while a $24,000 Spyder has a CS of $400.

old Timer
09-02-2021, 07:13 AM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays into price negotiations. I see where a $24,000 side by side has a CS of $250 while a $24,000 Spyder has a CS of $400.

All of that is completely under the control of the buyer, not the seller.

AE2WM
05-08-2023, 07:00 PM
Back in 2021, a friend and I decided we'd buy two Spyder RTL trikes. We walked into the dealership and told the salesman we would either buy two or none, depending on price. We basically said that we didn't care how they apportioned the various line items in the bill of sale, but that we had a figure in mind for an out-the-door price. This included the price of the bike, any setup charges, any additional dealer markups, any documentation fees, the sales tax and the plates for the first year. (At the time, there wasn't a 'commodity charge.') We dicked around for an hour or so, and finally agreed on $31,500 each. When there were hints that the salesman might try to sneak in a few extra fees, we reminded him that we would walk out the door if he tried any BS. The trikes took a couple of weeks to retrieve from storage and set up. We picked them up without any hassle and rode off into the sunset.

We use a different dealer for maintenance and parts/supplies because he is 35 miles away instead of 105, but I was happy enough with the dealer from whom we bought the trikes. I would buy more accessories that are Can-Am branded if their prices weren't so ridiculously high. I can't believe I spent $500 on a seat back rest! It's finally getting to be nice riding weather up here in the PNW, so I'm looking forward to getting some road trips in.