PDA

View Full Version : 1330cc Another cat delete question

bsavulis
08-28-2021, 05:30 PM
I am considering doing the cat delete, to mitigate under bike heat, however I am very concerned about changing sound level. I DO NOT want my exhaust one bit louder than it currently is stock. 2014 RTL. Does anyone sell a cat delete pipe that will accomplish this.

RayBJ
08-28-2021, 06:22 PM
If you remove the cat your exhaust will be louder. The cat delete pipe has removable baffles/plugs that will affect the sound level. All pieces in will give you the lowest noise level.

But again, it will be louder than with the cat!

Jetfixer
08-28-2021, 06:29 PM
To call it a "cat delete" is a misnomer. Per the manufacturer, it is a "pre-muffler" that you would be removing. Yes, it will be louder.

Peter Aawen
08-28-2021, 07:35 PM
Talk to RLS Exhausts (one of our Forum Sponsors) here on the Forum or via the website: https://www.rlsexhaust.com/ - there are even u-tube vids available so you can compare sounds! (Martin the Vlogger did some too!) RLS does a cat delete that includes a baffled 'pre-muffler' that won't do much to change the overall volume of exhaust noise if you keep the OE muffler, but it will deepen the note a little & add a bit of rumble, so your Spyder engine won't sound quite so much like an over-revving run-away sewing machine! :rolleyes: Most who go that way love the 'still fairly quiet but much nicer sound'!. :ohyea: And the ceramic coating option will help significantly reduce the heat radiated from underneath your Spyder too!! :lecturef_smilie:

Be aware that the website may show 'Out of Stock' or 'Sold Out', but that's just cos he's selling them as fast as he's making them, so he's working off an Order List! Which means you need to either call or send an email to get on his list so that he can make one for you - not usually a massive delay tho, and very few regret it! Helps the Forum in the long run too! :yes:

PMK
08-28-2021, 07:50 PM
The premuffler utilizes screens to superheat and serve to reduce emissions. Those screens also are a great noise reduction device.
When I did the swap on ours, the main reason was getting rid of the heat. Removal was very effective at that.

Unfortunately, the sound level did increase. Not obnoxious for us, but did increase. I installed a very early Lamonster bypass pipe, prior to the idea of installing a baffle. To this day, no baffle has been installed.

RICZ
08-28-2021, 08:31 PM
I installed the RLS Exhaust delete with the resonator and kept the stock muffler. The resulting sound is smoother and throatier WITH VERY LITTLE INCREASE IN VOLUME. It a nice sound that I listen to all day....and have.

2dogs
08-29-2021, 12:26 AM
Lamonster style cat delete with a screen baffle and very little difference in sound. A lot less heat though.

Piratezz
08-29-2021, 05:11 AM
I am going this route myself, Now on the bike an acropovic, with a custom welded open pipe, with a baffle, it's just too loud, I drive alot in Germany, and get pulled over quite often. Just wonder if I should use the resonator, or not.
But time will tell...
So going stock muffler, with RLS cat delete, with or without resonator, just hope that the ecu isn't getting upset, from more backpressure

2dogs
08-29-2021, 12:35 PM
I am going this route myself, Now on the bike an acropovic, with a custom welded open pipe, with a baffle, it's just too loud, I drive alot in Germany, and get pulled over quite often. Just wonder if I should use the resonator, or not.
But time will tell...
So going stock muffler, with RLS cat delete, with or without resonator, just hope that the ecu isn't getting upset, from more backpressure

Nope, you'll be fine. Your ECU will adjust for whatever changes you make on the downstream side. If you want to make doubly sure, just let your spyder idle a while before you take your first ride after you've installed your modification.

woods
08-29-2021, 05:11 PM
I installed the RLS Exhaust delete with the resonator and kept the stock muffler. The resulting sound is smoother and throatier WITH VERY LITTLE INCREASE IN VOLUME. It a nice sound that I listen to all day....and have.

Totally agree! Had the RLS on my 18 and moved it to the 20. The only time I can sense any extra volume is at low speeds going thru towns and it isn't much.

Wheelman
08-29-2021, 06:12 PM
I have a 2018 F3T. Installed the Lamonster cat-delete with the supplied baffle and kept the stock muffler. Very pleasant tone, just barely louder than stock. Just make sure you let the bike idle for 10 to 15min so the ECU can learn what's going on with the exhaust. I have put over 1000mi since the install and no problems.