PDA

View Full Version : Eco mode doesn't seem to be working

gkamer
08-27-2021, 01:40 PM
I'm one of those people who believes if your vehicle has a feature it should work, even if you never use it. Well today I thought I'd see what's up with ECO mode on my 2018 Spyder RT-Limited. According to what I've read, you're supposed to press the mode button for a sec or so and ECO should appear on your gauge cluster. That's not happening. Is there some other secret squirrel thing I should be doing besides? :banghead:

Woodaddict
08-27-2021, 01:47 PM
the press time is more than a second.......your '18 might be different than my '15RTL. but i see an "ECO" symbol on the screen

gkamer
08-27-2021, 02:22 PM
the press time is more than a second.......your '18 might be different than my '15RTL. but i see an "ECO" symbol on the screen

Yea, I got it working now. Not sure why I didn't see that little Eco thingy before, but it's showing up now. Thanks

pidjones
08-27-2021, 02:48 PM
I just have to tap it briefly on my 2021 RTL. Besides the upshift arrow (very hard to see in bright mode), it does soften the throttle response which I immediately noticed when I accidently tapped it OFF today.

gkamer
08-27-2021, 03:09 PM
I just have to tap it briefly on my 2021 RTL. Besides the upshift arrow (very hard to see in bright mode), it does soften the throttle response which I immediately noticed when I accidently tapped it OFF today.

I noticed the same thing while playing around with it.

Nuttymopar
08-27-2021, 03:38 PM
ECO mode might also help with wife's first few rides. Makes the throttle easier and she may enjoy the ease of taking off and such. Just a thought. She'll love it. Once you get those arm rests installed, then comes the drink holder to make her feel right at home.

JayBros
08-27-2021, 04:28 PM
Greg, here's what ECO mode does to the acceleration curve of the 1330 ACE engine.

Peteoz
08-27-2021, 04:43 PM
Greg, here's what ECO mode does to the acceleration curve of the 1330 ACE engine.

Wow…..very interesting Jaybros……thanks :thumbup:

Pete

RazzleH
08-28-2021, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the graph JayBros. Best explanation yet of ECO mode to cross my reading.

troop
08-28-2021, 08:40 AM
In reality, it should be considered rain mode.

JayBros
08-28-2021, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't consider it rain mode because it does nothing more than affect the acceleration curve; it does nothing else involving the VSS. An idiot in ECO mode can still travel too fast for conditions and hydroplane or lose traction elsewhere on the road.

troop
08-28-2021, 10:07 AM
The fact that it automatically softens acceleration curves can be of benefit on wet roads..

JayBros
08-28-2021, 11:45 AM
The fact that it automatically softens acceleration curves can be of benefit on wet roads..

I would agree with you in the case of an ECU re-flash wherein, I don't know maybe the ECO mode is overridden, because of the more rapid throttle response, but in the brain and right hand of an experienced rider, particularly one who has come from many years of two wheel riding, there is no better faculty than years of experience. Now, also from your perspective, when leaving a stoplight or intersection on which there are wide swaths of road paint that can be slicker than deer guts on a door knob, yes, again ECO mode might help, but I'd still vote in favor of the experienced brain and right hand. In rain one needs to remember only two words, Slow Down.

vito1943
08-28-2021, 01:36 PM
I came to the Spyder from 35 years of 2 wheeling, the latest being a 2016 Goldwing that I rode for 5 years. I use the Eco mode all the time. I am not disappointed with the acceleration of the 2021 RT in Eco mode, and appreciate the "shift up" indicator (which I sometimes ignore). I have to press the Eco button to start the Spyder, so I never bother with turning it off after the engine is running.

gkamer
08-30-2021, 06:57 PM

Interesting. I think I'm gonna play around with that setting.

JRat
10-23-2021, 10:55 AM
My 21 is in ECO mode, How do you turn it off? I read at the start up screen press and hold mode button for 2 seconds to switch it. I've tried that even held it up to 30 seconds. I've tried it at different screens, in neutral or in 1st, running or off It just seems to stay in ECO. I haven't tried the quick tap like was recommended in a previous post, I'll try that when I leave work tonight.

Lew L
10-23-2021, 11:56 AM

The chart shows 100% throttle opening at full throttle turn. I was my understanding that the :spyder2: ( RT ) doee NOT open all the way unless the ECU has been re-flashed?????

Lew L

K80Shooter
10-23-2021, 04:07 PM
My 21 is in ECO mode, How do you turn it off? I read at the start up screen press and hold mode button for 2 seconds to switch it. I've tried that even held it up to 30 seconds. I've tried it at different screens, in neutral or in 1st, running or off It just seems to stay in ECO. I haven't tried the quick tap like was recommended in a previous post, I'll try that when I leave work tonight.

After you have the spyder running just press the mode button. Do not hold it down.