PDA

View Full Version : A few observations about my Spyder RT Ltd...

gkamer
08-26-2021, 11:38 PM
These are a few observations I've noticed about my Spyder RT Limited:

The horn and turn indicator on the Spyder are opposite of where they are on the Ryker. Having ridden the Ryker for a year, my muscle memory tells my thumb to drop all the way down to use my turn signal. So of course I end up honking my horn. I’ve gotten a few strange looks. Time will fix that problem.

I still occasionally have to remind myself to shift. Of course I didn’t have that issue on the Ryker. Simply twist and go. Just one more thing time will fix.

I took my first night ride tonight. Nothing big, maybe a little 10 mile jaunt some in town, some dark back roads and some interstate. I was pleased with the beam put out by the headlights. It seemed to be strong enough, even for these old eyes on both high beam and combined with the fog lights.

The dashboard was incredibly bright. I like that. I know I can adjust it, but I'm happy with it now.

I was a little taken aback by the fact none of the handle bar controls were illuminated. There was just a thin red line around the control housing. On the dark back roads and dark stretches of the interstate I kind of had to just feel around with my fingers until I could identify the headlight controls for example.

All in all I’m happy as a clam with my Spyder. This weekend I’m going to take my wife on her first orientation ride. She has never been on a motorcycle before, so I told her I would only hit the empty back roads and keep the speed down to about forty.

I warned her about buffeting, especially when being passed or riding behind a semi. I explained that though the buffeting might move her around a little, she is not going to fall off the bike. I have a pair of arm rests coming so that should help her feel a little safer.

Well that about wraps up this session of Spyder Life. Say safe!!

Bfromla
08-27-2021, 03:37 AM
Buffeting is one thing, the helmets bumping quite another:roflblack: hope all goes well for you both:ohyea::popcorn:

RapidSpyder
08-27-2021, 08:54 AM
Baha Ron’s sway bar really helps the steering from being buffetted when the semi’s go by.

JayBros
08-27-2021, 09:53 AM
Baha Ron’s sway bar really helps the steering from being buffeted when the semi’s go by.

Absolutely! Suggestion: tell your wife to relax her upper torso and that way she may be less upset by buffeting and the hand grips will hold her just fine. Caution her not to keep a death grip on them as it will just increase hand and forearm fatigue.

gkamer
08-27-2021, 10:32 AM
Absolutely! Suggestion: tell your wife to relax her upper torso and that way she may be less upset by buffeting and the hand grips will hold her just fine. Caution her not to keep a death grip on them as it will just increase hand and forearm fatigue.

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

gkamer
08-27-2021, 10:34 AM
Buffeting is one thing, the helmets bumping quite another:roflblack: hope all goes well for you both:ohyea::popcorn:

Hahaha, it should be interesting

ARtraveler
08-27-2021, 10:55 AM
These are a few observations I've noticed about my Spyder RT Limited:

The horn and turn indicator on the Spyder are opposite of where they are on the Ryker. Having ridden the Ryker for a year, my muscle memory tells my thumb to drop all the way down to use my turn signal. So of course I end up honking my horn. I’ve gotten a few strange looks. Time will fix that problem.

I still occasionally have to remind myself to shift. Of course I didn’t have that issue on the Ryker. Simply twist and go. Just one more thing time will fix.

I took my first night ride tonight. Nothing big, maybe a little 10 mile jaunt some in town, some dark back roads and some interstate. I was pleased with the beam put out by the headlights. It seemed to be strong enough, even for these old eyes on both high beam and combined with the fog lights.

The dashboard was incredibly bright. I like that. I know I can adjust it, but I'm happy with it now.

I was a little taken aback by the fact none of the handle bar controls were illuminated. There was just a thin red line around the control housing. On the dark back roads and dark stretches of the interstate I kind of had to just feel around with my fingers until I could identify the headlight controls for example.

All in all I’m happy as a clam with my Spyder. This weekend I’m going to take my wife on her first orientation ride. She has never been on a motorcycle before, so I told her I would only hit the empty back roads and keep the speed down to about forty.

I warned her about buffeting, especially when being passed or riding behind a semi. I explained that though the buffeting might move her around a little, she is not going to fall off the bike. I have a pair of arm rests coming so that should help her feel a little safer.

Well that about wraps up this session of Spyder Life. Say safe!!

RE: Wife's first ride. Be gentle, gentle, gentle. Take those first turns/curves under speed. Have her lean with you and learn to plant the outside foot on the footpeg. Gradually increase the turning speed as the ride progresses, until you get where you want to be. You will have a riding partner forever. Warning, warning, warning...be careful about letting her drive. She will want her own. Ask me how I know. :yes:

Rednaxs60
08-27-2021, 11:33 AM
Passenger arm rests, give additional feeling of security - cockpit style. First item I installed on my 2014 RT LE. Easy install.

gkamer
08-27-2021, 01:35 PM
Passenger arm rests, give additional feeling of security - cockpit style. First item I installed on my 2014 RT LE. Easy install.

I have a set on order. Should be here on the 30th.

canamjhb
08-27-2021, 02:46 PM
I agree with ARtraveler about being gentle. Let her know ahead of time the point of riding is not to show-off or try to scare her. It is to enjoy the ride. Have her let you know any time she is feeling uncomfortable and respect that. You have a lot of riding experience. She has none. Do everything you can to make her ride enjoyable for her. Good things will come your way when she is happy and having fun :) ..... Jim

gkamer
08-27-2021, 03:11 PM
I agree with ARtraveler about being gentle. Let her know ahead of time the point of riding is not to show-off or try to scare her. It is to enjoy the ride. Have her let you know any time she is feeling uncomfortable and respect that. You have a lot of riding experience. She has none. Do everything you can to make her ride enjoyable for her. Good things will come your way when she is happy and having fun :) ..... Jim

Happy wife, happy life, I get it.....:ohyea:

Wmoater
08-27-2021, 03:35 PM
Agree with arm rest! Also have her sit on the seat and adjust the foot pegs while she sits. If the pegs are right she will feel no cramping, butt won’t fall asleep and she can push down a bit instead of feeling the lean. Arm rests in my wife’s opinion are a must! Hard to tell from picture but that looks like 5’6” setting roughly. That’s about where my wife’s is. She’s medium built and normal legs not long or short.

Rednaxs60
08-27-2021, 10:19 PM
Another item that Sonya will not ride without is the SENA communicators. Have to be charged the night before. This gives her a better feeling when riding, she doesn't have to yell at me. I can communicate what I am doing, going through yellow lights, hard stopping, and such. The communicators allow for a conversation when riding, similar to a car, your wife will feel like she is part of the experience with you, not just a passenger.

Wmoater
08-28-2021, 06:36 AM
:agree: my wife is same way! Good point.

Bfromla
08-30-2021, 08:04 PM
Update report¿?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Steve W.
08-30-2021, 09:54 PM
Suggestion: tell your wife to relax her upper torso and that way she may be less upset by buffeting and the hand grips will hold her just fine.

Take those first turns/curves under speed. Have her lean with you and learn to plant the outside foot on the footpeg. Gradually increase the turning speed as the ride progresses, until you get where you want to be.
Although 'our' Spyder is actually HERS, we have ridden 2-up a few times. I have found that the passenger needs to be more active as a co-rider than simply a passenger. Certainly moreso than on a 2-wheeler.

Another item that Sonya will not ride without is the SENA communicators.
Communication is VITAL. However, it's not cheap. I have never looked into SENA, Cardo or any of the other wireless (Bluetooth) devices, but I have heard that you should be prepared for sticker shock. If your wife enjoys the ride, the sticker shock will be irrrelevant, it will simply turn into a worthwhile part of the cost of admission.

gkamer
08-31-2021, 11:57 AM
Update report¿?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Well her first ride went well. Sunday was a warm sunny almost windless day, a rarity around here. A little 25 mph ride around town to get her used to the open air experience. Took corners nice and slow, and she was fine. Next we moved out to one of the back roads. Fortunately living in such a rural area, on a Sunday, traffic was almost non existent. Kick it up to about 45 mph. Passed one or two cars, but no trucks, so she got to experience a little wind turbulence. Rode for about 10 miles and pulled into a service station.

I asked how she was doing, and got a big thumbs up response. I told her I was going to head back towards town and about five miles out jump on the interstate so she could get a feel for riding in fast moving traffic. She was alright with that plan.

The rapid acceleration to merge into traffic caused her a little concern but she more or less relaxed a little once we were in traffic. That big comfy backrest on the RT played a role in that. No worries about falling backwards off the bike.

Exited back into town and took another chefs tour around town before heading back to the barn. She was a tad unsteady when she first got off, but I assured her it was normal. She claimed it was because she had been squeezing the seat so hard and she had to keep reminding herself to relax. Today I’ll be installing arm rests purchased from a most generous community member here on Spyderlovers. What can I say…. Baby Steps.