PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fault Go Away

FlyBoss
08-25-2021, 08:04 PM
021 Spyder RTL 3000 miles. Did the maintenance myself. Turns out there is an issue with the large O ring on the oil filter unit (some manufacturer packages have the wrong ring in packages labelled correctly, and I got one of those). Resulted in an oil leak out the top of the oil filter unit. Lots of cleaning and diagnosing and new parts to get it identified and resolved. Long story short, something resulted in the exclamation point appearing (all the time) on the display and a periodic flashing of "Transmission Fault" that comes and goes (with NO fault codes). Was concerned that somewhere in this process the engine might have resulted in too much oil (a lot had leaked out but I couldn't get an accurate reading on how much was there). I even checked BOTH air boxes to ensure they were indeed clean and dry (which they were).

Had to do some serious cleaning of the engine and sensors connected to bottom and top of clutch case. More than once as I kept doing road tests with the "Transmission Fault" but NO evidence at all of any problem.

This evolved to "VSS Fault" with the codes C006C, C0040. Others have reported these codes and I have gone over as many of the possible solutions as I can. I checked the brake pedal, wiring, switch; I removed the key; I disconnected the battery and the result was that the codes and the VSS Fault went away and has not returned. I will treat it as a one time event for now.

However, the original "Transmission Fault" remains. Oil level is as should be, no apparent leaks, engine runs perfect, all systems seem as they should be, but I can't find any reason for the "Transmission Fault" (without fault codes) or what my next step would be short of going to a dealer for a possible reset of the fault message. Any ideas as to why I can eliminate from this equation before having to do this?

PMK
08-26-2021, 03:23 AM
Friends 2021 did similar. Connected my BUDS setup trying to clear the issue. Was not able to clear it. His ultimately required reflashing the Spyder software.

FlyBoss
08-26-2021, 01:30 PM
I need to find someone in Virginia (near Richmond) who can try doing the same thing. After that, I'll be at the mercy of the dealer for who knows how long and how many replacements of other parts. Rode today and everything is perfect except for the orange message that pops up randomly.

PMK
08-26-2021, 02:14 PM
I need to find someone in Virginia (near Richmond) who can try doing the same thing. After that, I'll be at the mercy of the dealer for who knows how long and how many replacements of other parts. Rode today and everything is perfect except for the orange message that pops up randomly.

Just take it to the dealer and be done with it under warranty.