PDA

View Full Version : check engine-shot coil and ECM

obiwanbill
09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I was riding along, with only 4500 miles on the odometer...and it started flashing check engine. Book sez to stop, pull out key and try again..no help. Took to dealer...computer said coil was shot. Had to wait 4 working days for BMP to send the part in {How come Honda can do it in 2 days for Honda parts?}. They got the part late Wednesday and other bikes ahead of me to be fixed, so they didn't start til Friday AM. New coil in, now it's a shot ECM Engine Control Module. Only one they had at dealer was for a 2009 SE5 and I have a 2008 SE5. 2 Day express will get the part next Tuesday and they will fix on Wednesday.

For a bike that cost this much, can't BMP get it's warranty parts section in gear? This is dumb. If course I got the call at 535pm that the ECM was shot...I tried calling BMP to yell about the above, but they closed at 530pm.

2 great weekends for riding shot grrrrr

Smylinacha
09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
They really need to have a warehouse filled with parts in the United States w/ Priority Overnight shipping.

spyryder
09-18-2009, 09:37 PM
I was riding along, with only 4500 miles on the odometer...and it started flashing check engine. Book sez to stop, pull out key and try again..no help. Took to dealer...computer said coil was shot. Had to wait 4 working days for BMP to send the part in {How come Honda can do it in 2 days for Honda parts?}. They got the part late Wednesday and other bikes ahead of me to be fixed, so they didn't start til Friday AM. New coil in, now it's a shot ECM Engine Control Module. Only one they had at dealer was for a 2009 SE5 and I have a 2008 SE5. 2 Day express will get the part next Tuesday and they will fix on Wednesday.

For a bike that cost this much, can't BMP get it's warranty parts section in gear? This is dumb. If course I got the call at 535pm that the ECM was shot...I tried calling BMP to yell about the above, but they closed at 530pm.

2 great weekends for riding shot grrrrr

Hmmmm....I had a similar problem about a month ago. Started it up and I had a dead cylinder and engine light flashing and check engine scrolling across the display. I checked the codes and it said #1 coil problem. I took it to the dealer and when they checked it they said bad ecm, not the coil. Sounds like your dealer misdiagnosed it to begin with.:(
They ordered a new ecm.....it took 3 days to come in. All's well now.

bjt
09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
They really need to have a warehouse filled with parts in the United States w/ Priority Overnight shipping.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

It's frustrating to have to wait a week or more for all parts.

WackyDan
09-19-2009, 11:15 PM
All it would take is for them to solicit one large dealer to buffer stock some parts on BRP's dime, and pay that dealer a per ship fee to other dealers. At least that would be a great temporary fix.

obiwanbill
09-27-2009, 02:52 PM
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

It's frustrating to have to wait a week or more for all parts.

:agree: ups got there late of course and not fixed until Thursday. Must have been shot from start as with new coil and ECM, the bike is running more quietly and smoother. Overnight shipping at BMP's dime should be the norm when it's under warranty

obiwanbill
10-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Have had the bike back 6 days and some other item is broke. Won't start...has plenty of gas, kill switch is on, turn key, mash Mode button on dash....the needles flip, heard a click (starter solenoid?) but doesn't turn over. Nothing on screen like check tranny or check engine

Checked all the fuses in trunk and under seat.

Mechanic at shop over phone said the M(ode) button on dash tends to wear out from use and I should use the left handle grip Mode button to start her. That didn't work either.

this is a pain...in the shop for the brakes are squealing (newer pad material fixed it) in the shop for steering recall, In the shop for ground wire for coil recall. In the shop for crapped out coil and Engine control module...now I'm going to have to take it in again and likely wait for parts for weeks.

Thinking about getting out the lemon colored paint...Harleys don't have this much hassle:2thumbs: