PDA

View Full Version : Where did the weight come from?

JimAtLaw
09-18-2009, 01:35 PM
It's obvious to me that some of the changes to the RT (adding bags, widening the track, etc.) would add some weight, but 200 lbs is a LOT of weight to add and it's not obvious to me where some of this extra pork lies.

Ideas folks?

docdoru
09-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Right here:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00567-1.jpg

Dudley
09-18-2009, 02:04 PM
It's obvious to me that some of the changes to the RT (adding bags, widening the track, etc.) would add some weight, but 200 lbs is a LOT of weight to add and it's not obvious to me where some of this extra pork lies.

Ideas folks?

I would guess that the fairing/windshield set up is close to 75 pounds and the extra plastic, though it seems to be light when you handle just one piece at a time, when combined is surprisingly heavy. Then when you add any metal needed to mount all the new plastics, etc., and you easily have 200 pounds. My thoughts.

NancysToy
09-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I tend to agree with Dudley. Looks can be deceiving. Figure the bags for 40-50 pounds, topcase another 30 or better, fairing and windshield motor at least 25-30, and several pounds for the larger bodywork in general. Add another ten or more for the big seat, then lengthen the frame and widen the track, which adds metal. This doesn't count the passenger footboards, extra electronics, or extra trim. I think they did well to keep it this much under control. JMHO

JimAtLaw
09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Hmmmm. Interesting. I guess I'm just thinking that my old '87 Honda CRX was only 1950 lbs by comparison - if you add two 200 lb passengers, sans luggage, you're at travel weight of nearly 1400 lbs, so the comments about HP, etc. make some sense here. If you're used to motorcycle type acceleration, 100 hp pushing 1400 lbs is not going to feel quick to you. (Of course, I know it's not a motorcycle, but we all know that this is the standard of comparison people are going to use, lacking doors and a roof.)

NancysToy
09-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I can understand concerns about the weight and horsepower, and I must admit that I had them at first, too. Then I thought more about it. My wife's HHR has a puny four-banger in it, and certainly won't go stoplight to stoplight like a Vette, but it gets down the highway just as well as my V-8 powered pickup. Same principle applies here. If we want crotch rocket acceleration, we should buy Busas or CBR 600s. This machine is meant to be a full touring motorcycle. It is not supposed to behave like a sport bike, or even a sport touring bike. Add the fact that displacement bloat and excess horsepower sell bikes, but are seldom actually used, and I think the RT has what it needs to move 1500 pounds down the road. Maybe not quite as smartly as our 1200-1300 pound GS/RS machines, loaded and two-up, but respectably nevertheless. Only riding one will tell us for sure......and for that most of us have to wait a while.

Magic Man
09-18-2009, 05:19 PM
I can understand concerns about the weight and horsepower, and I must admit that I had them at first, too. Then I thought more about it. My wife's HHR has a puny four-banger in it, and certainly won't go stoplight to stoplight like a Vette, but it gets down the highway just as well as my V-8 powered pickup. Same principle applies here. If we want crotch rocket acceleration, we should buy Busas or CBR 600s. This machine is meant to be a full touring motorcycle. It is not supposed to behave like a sport bike, or even a sport touring bike. Add the fact that displacement bloat and excess horsepower sell bikes, but are seldom actually used, and I think the RT has what it needs to move 1500 pounds down the road. Maybe not quite as smartly as our 1200-1300 pound GS/RS machines, loaded and two-up, but respectably nevertheless. Only riding one will tell us for sure......and for that most of us have to wait a while.

Right Scotty.

Patti's 1000cc 3 Cylinder Smart car weighs 1800 lbs. and is only rated at 70 hp, yet it does the top goverend speed of 90 no problem with me and Patti in it all day long.

With Patti and my lard butt in it :shocked: it has to be close to 2 times what the RT's weight would be with us on it with 30 less HP.

I think the added plastic, frame work and other touring items really add up fast on the old scale for sure.

MM

mjw930
09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Hmmmm. Interesting. I guess I'm just thinking that my old '87 Honda CRX was only 1950 lbs by comparison - if you add two 200 lb passengers, sans luggage, you're at travel weight of nearly 1400 lbs, so the comments about HP, etc. make some sense here. If you're used to motorcycle type acceleration, 100 hp pushing 1400 lbs is not going to feel quick to you. (Of course, I know it's not a motorcycle, but we all know that this is the standard of comparison people are going to use, lacking doors and a roof.)

I guess that would depend on what type of motorcycle you're talking about. An 800 lb Harley Ultra Classic has a 65HP motor in it and the majority of them sold do not get modified significantly. The power curve of the RT is very close to the BMW RT, coincidence, I think not ;)

People get too hung up on peak power numbers. This is a V-Twin, cammed for the meat of it's torque to be in the area you ride in 90% of the time. I think it will perfectly fine for most of the people who buy one and I think it's performance will be very much like a BMW R1200RT which is considered to be the worlds most popular touring bike. (Wingers like to think they have that title but outside the US nobody even knows what a Goldwing is..... and I own one ;) )

NancysToy
09-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I guess that would depend on what type of motorcycle you're talking about. An 800 lb Harley Ultra Classic has a 65HP motor in it and the majority of them sold do not get modified significantly. The power curve of the RT is very close to the BMW RT, coincidence, I think not ;)

People get too hung up on peak power numbers. This is a V-Twin, cammed for the meat of it's torque to be in the area you ride in 90% of the time. I think it will perfectly fine for most of the people who buy one and I think it's performance will be very much like a BMW R1200RT which is considered to be the worlds most popular touring bike. (Wingers like to think they have that title but outside the US nobody even knows what a Goldwing is..... and I own one ;) )
I love my BMW R1100RT, but it is a sport-tourer, not a full dress touring bike like the GW, BMW K1200LT, or Electra-Glide. That makes it somewhat lighter and peppier, but not as comfortable or luxurious. I think the RS with the touring package is a better comparison to the BMW RT. Sits about the same, too, a bit crouched and head forward.

Lamonster
09-19-2009, 06:28 AM
http://www.rotax.com/en/Engine/2004/Motorcycle/Engine.Models.htm

docdoru
09-19-2009, 07:09 AM
http://www.rotax.com/en/Engine/2004/Motorcycle/Engine.Models.htm

:2thumbs: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/1125.jpg?t=1253362154:2thumbs:

BLACK WIDOW
09-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Right Scotty.

Patti's 1000cc 3 Cylinder Smart car weighs 1800 lbs. and is only rated at 70 hp, yet it does the top goverend speed of 90 no problem with me and Patti in it all day long.

With Patti and my lard butt in it :shocked: it has to be close to 2 times what the RT's weight would be with us on it with 30 less HP.

I think the added plastic, frame work and other touring items really add up fast on the old scale for sure.

MM
Do you mean that it takes it all day to reach 90?:joke:

Michael:doorag:

chris56
09-19-2009, 11:08 AM
:2thumbs: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/1125.jpg?t=1253362154:2thumbs:
does anyone know the weight of thios engine ??

mjw930
09-19-2009, 07:50 PM

I think that's the Buell motor or maybe a version they can sell under the Rotax branding. With different cams and cam timing it would be PERFECT in the RT but it's a 72 degree V so an extensive frame redesign would probably be in order.

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 01:48 PM
The 200 lbs. added is an interesting study. I'm not sure that you can't find the weight if you take a close look at the RT. It's got a lot of stuff on it that the current model does not.

The more interesting question is the weight spec. I found for a Cobra Goldwing Trike kit which gives a total weight just 90 lbs. more than the 2 wheeled amount.

Can you really trike a Goldwing and add just 90 lbs? Now that's hard to beleive.