PDA

View Full Version : 62k miles.... now you see it and.... now you don't

nickcaro
09-17-2009, 08:08 PM
here is a photo of my latest mileage...
I'm so bummed, that I just took the pic on the iPhone instead of pulling out the real camera like I normally do...

http://nick-caro.com/Y/defeat.jpg

Roaddog2
09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
:2thumbs:

brutus450
09-17-2009, 08:20 PM
i dont get it ....its says 465 and your link is COWS. Which is a cool pic by the way:clap:

nickcaro
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
/ tear :(

o' boy, here comes a long post...

This past Sunday I was celebrating with the little lady on the back as we hit 62k miles, on the Spyder!

Every bike I have owned has received the same treatment. I just punish them with miles on some ugly roads in and out of the city. Some days are so hot that I pour water on myself while sitting in traffic. Some days are so cold, that it just makes peoples jaw drop when they see me on the parkway. My coldest day was in January 08' when for two days the temps were at minus 3 and 6 when I left to go to work. Even with Gerbings on my whole body and numerous other layers, the windchill at highway speeds for over an hour is just outrageous. those two days I had to pull over three times just to regain a little warmth. (this is all with the stock windshield) I even ran a 1k IronButt on 1/1/09 in temps that ranged 27 down to 5. To really spice things up I even rode a few days to work in the snow with great success.

The Spyder is what allowed me to continue commuting through those kinds of extremes. I just don't feel comfortable on two wheels when the temps drop below 20 degrees. I also don't like being on 2 wheels in full gear when it gets over 80 degrees and I'm in traffic. So the Spyder has brought me to a whole new dimension.

I have averaged 1k miles a week since pulling off the lot on 6/21/08. At my one year mark I had 50k miles and felt good about hitting 100k by the two year anniversary. There has also been a high level of excitement in not finding anyone that has more miles.

Monday night Doc posted his 50k miles. With only a 12k lead on him and seeing as he is down in FL and I'm CT. I started getting nervous that he was going to blow me out of the water by January.

But, that's all over now cause my miles are gone....
Tuesday morning as I toggled my display, I nearly puked when I saw that I only had 51 total miles. At some point Monday evening, my odometer reset itself. It just hit out of nowhere. All systems are running well, engine is doing great and no mods at all have been done for over 30k miles. All electronics are responding, no codes... just a destroyed dream. :(

I was in shock the whole day hoping that maybe after a few reboots, it would just return to normal... but it hasn't... and they are gone....

Smylinacha
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM

This past Sunday I was celebrating with the little lady on the back as we hit 62k miles, on the Spyder!

Every bike I have owned has received the same treatment. I just punish them with miles on some ugly roads in and out of the city. Some days are so hot that I pour water on myself while sitting in traffic. Some days are so cold, that it just makes peoples jaw drop when they see me on the parkway. My coldest day was in January 08' when for two days the temps were at minus 3 and 6 when I left to go to work. Even with Gerbings on my whole body and numerous other layers, the windchill at highway speeds for over an hour is just outrageous. those two days I had to pull over three times just to regain a little warmth. (this is all with the stock windshield) I even ran a 1k IronButt on 1/1/09 in temps that ranged 27 down to 5. To really spice things up I even rode a few days to work in the snow with great success.

The Spyder is what allowed me to continue commuting through those kinds of extremes. I just don't feel comfortable on two wheels when the temps drop below 20 degrees. I also don't like being on 2 wheels in full gear when it gets over 80 degrees and I'm in traffic. So the Spyder has brought me to a whole new dimension.

I have averaged 1k miles a week since pulling off the lot on 6/21/08. At my one year mark I had 50k miles and felt good about hitting 100k by the two year anniversary. There has also been a high level of excitement in not finding anyone that has more miles.

Monday night Doc posted his 50k miles. With only a 12k lead on him and seeing as he is down in FL and I'm CT. I started getting nervous that he was going to blow me out of the water by January.

Tuesday morning as I toggled my display, I nearly puked when I saw that I only had 51 total miles. At some point Monday evening, my odometer reset itself. It just hit out of nowhere. All systems are running well, engine is doing great and no mods at all have been done for over 30k miles. All electronics are responding, no codes... just a destroyed dream. :(

I was in shock the whole day hoping that maybe after a few reboots, it would just return to normal... but it hasn't... and they are gone....

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: Maybe they (BRP) didn't think the spyder computers would be able to compute so much mileage in less than 2 yrs so the puters hosed up on ya - now that would be a compliment huh?!:2thumbs:

docdoru
09-17-2009, 08:45 PM

:gaah:
Try to ask a BRP mechanic to connect the B.U.D.S. to your Spyder and look into history tab. Also, can be a display malfunction with missing digits :dontknow:.

nickcaro
09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
yeah, I forgot to mention that my total hours clock stopped working a long time ago, before I hit 50k.

This is the video that I shot Tuesday night and was sent in to service..

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

nickcaro
09-17-2009, 09:15 PM
i dont get it ....its says 465 and your link is COWS. Which is a cool pic by the way:clap:

yup... 465 is my total miles as of tonight.

The cows are just the most current image on the site. Click to the let side of the image or the "previous" link towards the top left.

ataDude
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, the good news is that your Spyder is worth more today than it was yesterday! :D

Hope you get it sorted out.

Some Guy
09-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Nick,
I'm sorry about your odometer problem! That said...could you stop by and do your "magic" on my car so I can sell it for way more than it's worth?! :roflblack:

Seriously...I'd be really :cus:-off if it had happened to me. I hope your dealer can help.

We all know you are the Spyder "mileage hero". :thumbup:

Kjen
09-17-2009, 10:44 PM
That's sick. We all know you've been riding it since the beginning; least we at home do cause we've read your post admiringly. That hurts. Couldn't it be plugged to a computer and you could get a reading? I'm simple with that type of stuff so pardon me, but I do remember a mechaninc hooking us up and telling us what our history of riding was. Still doesn't gain your readout back. What a bummer, my condolences. Great work anyway, you were/are an inspiration as to what our spyders can be but through.:clap::yes:

spyryder
09-18-2009, 12:01 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if it only goes up to 62,000 miles and goes back to zero because that equals 100,000 in kilometers.....yep, that's it....looking at Doc's odo, there's only room for 5 digits so it's gonna revert back to zero.:sour:

QuadManiac
09-18-2009, 12:22 AM
62,137 miles = 100,000 km - an interesting thought! Sounds like a typical software bug when changing from metric to english when the metric is the system used and the english is just converted from it - at 100,000 km they revert to 0 and don't keep a separate register for miles, they just do the km to miles conversion.

docdoru
09-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Nickcaro, you'r not the only one...http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/ :(

Latemarch
09-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Hey, congradulations on the new Spyder. Looks like you're almost ready for your 600mi service :roflblack::roflblack::shemademe_smilie:

Maybe BRP should jack up the cluster and roll a new Spyder under it to match the milage......hmmmm

Latemarch
09-18-2009, 06:18 AM
After thinking about this just a little longer and letting the first cup of coffee get into my system :coffee:

This is an incredible feat.....you zero'd the odometer.:clap:

One of our more inspired artist types should gin up a roll-over patch and BRP should have a special award. nojoke

Magic Man
09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
You did not say in your story, so how many actual miles does this engine have on it?

I know Doc has all 50K on the orginal motor that has not ever been opened up.

But, after the first bearing repair they did to your motor went bad the second time, and BRP then decided to totally replace your engine, what was the mileage when that was done? (I know this as fact because the bike world is really very small when you know the right people at dealerships and BRP)

Kind of important facts to leave out of a story like this don't you think? I think people here might have assumed all 62K has been on the orginal "unopened" power train.

I think it's wonderful you have ridden the wheels off this thing and put on 62K already, it's just too bad it's not been able to be done on the orginal motor.

I think if it weren't for the darn speedo reset you would have been the first person in the world to have 100K on your Spyder for sure. :clap: :thumbup:

MM

VIspyderman
09-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey Nick, don't feel bad. You can still hook up to BUDS and it should show the true milage. You're still the milage King!!! :clap:

spyryder
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
You did not say in your story, so how many actual miles does this engine have on it?

But, after the first bearing repair they did to your motor went bad the second time, and BRP then decided to totally replace your engine, what was the mileage when that was done? (I know this as fact because the bike world is really very small when you know the right people at dealerships and BRP)

Kind of important facts to leave out of a story like this don't you think? I think people here might have assumed all 62K has been on the orginal "unopened" power train.

I think it's wonderful you have ridden the wheels off this thing and put on 62K already, it's just too bad it's not been able to be done on the orginal motor.

I think if it weren't for the darn speedo reset you would have been the first person in the world to have 100K on your Spyder for sure. :clap: :thumbup:

MM
No talk of a new engine here::dontknow:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=116807&postcount=21

Questions
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM

MM

I dont get it...

His post wasnt about the reliability of the engine, its repairs, or breakdowns. Mearly talking about the overall miles and his experience. Your post seems a bit out of place... dont you think? Maybe its just me.

As long as your checking on everyones parts replacements with your vast array of industry contacts, can you please follow up on my wire harness and VCM replacement?

Thanks
JJ

Magic Man
09-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I dont get it...

Maybe its just me.

It is just you!~

Nick had a huge post not too long ago about how he had "such issues" with his tail lights burning out.

It caused him and me to "get into it" a bit then. So, yes I do have a bit of an axe to grind here, as "turn around is fair play," and now it's my time to be the "spoiler here."

Because I think it is very strange that a person who made such a big stink and put up a post about tail light bulbs burning out, has never said one word about his motor going south twice? The last time so bad that the entire motor had to be replaced. :dontknow:

To tell the truth. IMHO, I think this post was just to steal some of Docs thunder (because I know he too is a "call it like it is kind of guy" which has not always made him friends with BRP) as the first person I have heard of who has hit 50K on their Spyder and with the orginal engine still in it.

This is still America, and I am not going to be two faced like so many people are today, and be a false Mr "PC" here. I'm gonna call it like it is.

If you don't like that I asked a question about a "detail" that was of great importance to this topic, and for some strange reason had not been mentioned.... Too :cus: bad!

So, if you don't like, that I called him and BRP out on the carpet about such an important omission to this story.... Oh well, ask me if I care! :mad::mad::mad:

MM

Questions
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow dude... Get a grip. :shocked:

All I did was state the obvious... from somebody who doesn't read every single post from each person. How was I (or anyone else) who may not have followed your light bulb soap opera, on a COMPLETELY different thread, know that you had an "axe to grind".

As a vendor for products for my bike, and sponsor of this site, I might add that you certainly made a great impression on me in our first communications.

"too :cus: bad"?? What are you 4 years old?

For me... it give me a great satisfaction to simply support other companies who represent themselves with some sort of professionalism.

Keep up the good work!

JJ

nickcaro
09-18-2009, 06:59 PM
It is just you!~

..So, yes I do have a bit of an axe to grind here, as "turn around is fair play," and now it's my time to be the "spoiler here."

MM

:2thumbs: Congratulations, you did it. :chill:

and you know what. It's ok.

Like you said, this is America and you are free to be who you are.

mjw930
09-18-2009, 08:00 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if it only goes up to 62,000 miles and goes back to zero because that equals 100,000 in kilometers.....yep, that's it....looking at Doc's odo, there's only room for 5 digits so it's gonna revert back to zero.:sour:

62,137 miles = 100,000 km - an interesting thought! Sounds like a typical software bug when changing from metric to english when the metric is the system used and the english is just converted from it - at 100,000 km they revert to 0 and don't keep a separate register for miles, they just do the km to miles conversion.

Back to the point, these two hit the nail on the head. I had a similar problem with a 2004 Volvo and the trip odometers. They would get to 621 miles and reset to 0. A software patch fixed it.

Under US law the odometer must write to fixed non-volatile memory and I believe electronic odometers must keep the actual mileage in memory regardless what they display.

I think BRP needs to either correct this or go to a 7 digit display, especially considering the RT and how much many touring people ride.

Questions
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
That's a very interesting Bug Find and one that would have been difficult for the Factory to identify in testing. The comparison to miles vs. kilometers makes the most sense. I can only guess that the manufacturer of the electric odometer has some explaining to do.

It's kind of like Y2K when so many people thought all computers would crash due to the dates not being able to go from 1999 to 2000. Of course, Microsoft issued a patch before the Millenium and yes, life went on!

But yes, it's something that needs to be addressed an unscrupulous owner (not you) may learn about this and attempt to sell a high mileage Spyder by stating it was Only Driven By A Grandmother To Church On Sundays.

spyryder
09-18-2009, 09:59 PM
A friend of mine has an ST1300 Honda and it's the same thing with his. I think it went around two or three times already. He has over 300,000 actual kilometers on it so far with the same engine!

Longlegs
09-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow dude... Get a grip. :shocked:

All I did was state the obvious... from somebody who doesn't read every single post from each person. How was I (or anyone else) who may not have followed your light bulb soap opera, on a COMPLETELY different thread, know that you had an "axe to grind".

As a vendor for products for my bike, and sponsor of this site, I might add that you certainly made a great impression on me in our first communications.

"too :cus: bad"?? What are you 4 years old?

For me... it give me a great satisfaction to simply support other companies who represent themselves with some sort of professionalism.

Keep up the good work!

JJ

:agree: I guess I am on that list now too .

rleathen
09-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Magicman I too agree that this is a free world and we are all entitled to our own opinions and have the freedom to voice those opinions so I know you are the type of person who can respect that my opinion may be different then yours.

You stated "If you don't like that I asked a question about a "detail" that was of great importance to this topic, and for some strange reason had not been mentioned.... Too :cus: bad!" In my opinion the detail that you state was of great importance is only of great importance to you. No where did I ever read or infer that the posting was about the quality of the engine. I may be mistaken but I took Nick's post to be nothing more then the excitement of a personal achievment, much like the same excitement you exhibited introducing us to ESI. The fact that you openely state that you have an "axe to grind" does nothing but highlight the real reason why you made your post.

I have got to tell you that negative posts made with hidden agendas does nothing but degrade spyderlovers.com to the level of every other internet discussion forum. I stayed and continue to stay with spyderlovers.com because its members celebrate in each others accomplishments, pass on information and knowledge and our generally positive people. This is what makes and I truely hope continues to differentiate spyderlovers.com from every other spyder discussion forum.

Just my two cents and my personal opinion. Thanks for being open minded enough to read through it in its entirity. Lets all try and keep spyderlover.com the best, most friendly, most professional, most helpfull and most used spyder discussion forum on the internet which I believe it was originally meant to be !

Firefly
09-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Magicman I too agree that this is a free world and we are all entitled to our own opinions and have the freedom to voice those opinions so I know you are the type of person who can respect that my opinion may be different then yours.

You stated "If you don't like that I asked a question about a "detail" that was of great importance to this topic, and for some strange reason had not been mentioned.... Too :cus: bad!" In my opinion the detail that you state was of great importance is only of great importance to you. No where did I ever read or infer that the posting was about the quality of the engine. I may be mistaken but I took Nick's post to be nothing more then the excitement of a personal achievment, much like the same excitement you exhibited introducing us to ESI. The fact that you openely state that you have an "axe to grind" does nothing but highlight the real reason why you made your post.

I have got to tell you that negative posts made with hidden agendas does nothing but degrade spyderlovers.com to the level of every other internet discussion forum. I stayed and continue to stay with spyderlovers.com because its members celebrate in each others accomplishments, pass on information and knowledge and our generally positive people. This is what makes and I truely hope continues to differentiate spyderlovers.com from every other spyder discussion forum.

Just my two cents and my personal opinion. Thanks for being open minded enough to read through it in its entirity. Lets all try and keep spyderlover.com the best, most friendly, most professional, most helpfull and most used spyder discussion forum on the internet which I believe it was originally meant to be !

:agree:
Well said.

Firefly
09-18-2009, 11:52 PM
:2thumbs: Congratulations, you did it. :chill:

and you know what. It's ok.

Like you said, this is America and you are free to be who you are.

Thanks for taking the higher road Nick---- as long as you took it on a Spyder---:ohyea:.

You are the Mileage king-- no matter how many rebuilds or replacements you've had!

Keep on riding!:congrats: