PDA

View Full Version : GPS Recommentations

Texas Al
08-10-2021, 11:00 AM
Hi all. I am looking for an inexpressive GPS with a bright display to use around the local area. I have tried a couple but the display was not bright enough to see. Any recommendations?

Terrance
08-10-2021, 11:14 AM
I use a Zumo 396. Most of the time I am entirely OK with the brightness. I have it set to full brightness and always have it in night mode which I find works best for me. I would love to get some kind of shroud to shade it for when the sun comes over my shoulder and hits the screen but i haven't seen anything yet.

I have a Bluetooth headset to hear the instructions and warnings so honestly the need to read the screen is not a big priority. It is handy to see the name of the next cross street coming when I haven't entered a destination though.

JayBros
08-10-2021, 11:20 AM
Amongst others: https://www.glarestomper.com/.

More selections:
https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+gps+sun+shade&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS879US879&oq=Motorcycle+GPS+sun+shade&aqs=chrome.0.0i512.13573j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8http://

pidjones
08-10-2021, 12:56 PM
I havd a Garmin Zumo 396 and it is the worst GPS I've ever owned. Bright enough, but very hard to use.

EdMat
08-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Not the cheapest solution but the best that I have found is the Garmin Zumo XT. The display can't be beat in any light conditions. I really like throwing it in adventurous mode.

RayBJ
08-10-2021, 02:50 PM
Not a lot of waterproof GPS models available. Garmin Zumo XT is the current best. Tom Tom has one too but it's not very popular.
If you don't need a waterproof model, maybe a much cheaper Garmin Nuvi will work.
Have you tried using your smartphone mapping? Lots of GPS apps out in the wild.

I use a Zumo 595 and find the screen plenty bright - except in glaring sunlight. I use a shroud like JayBros listed for those times.

ButterSmooth
08-10-2021, 03:18 PM
For me, the poorest bang-for-the-buck would be my Zumo XT. They do have great support and they do fix stuff, but you do have to call them once and a while. And for my area the maps suck.

eschmid2
08-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Not the cheapest solution but the best that I have found is the Garmin Zumo XT. The display can't be beat in any light conditions. I really like throwing it in adventurous mode.

Another vote from me for the Zumo XT

Baron14y
08-10-2021, 04:34 PM
I have a Zumo590. I have had a sun shield on it. No help. No matter how I angled it, the screen washed out. Fortunately it is BT to my helmet and tells me where to turn, which, since I seldom go anywhere that I do not already know the directions, is redundant. But, it is waterproof and holds a lot of music.:yes:

rjinaz86323
08-10-2021, 04:37 PM
Zumo XT. Works great, lot of great features, and super bright

Mazo EMS2
08-10-2021, 04:37 PM
I really like my Garmin Nuvi 396. Simple, fair price, weather proof, hardwired docking with quick release, lots of great motorcycle features....

george123
08-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Another vote for the Zumo XT. Screen is bright enough to see easily even in bright sunlight.

Peteoz
08-10-2021, 04:53 PM
If your budget runs to it, it’s hard to beat the Zumo XT. All the reasons have been detailed above. I have never had a better GPS.

Pete

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-10-2021, 06:45 PM
I find my Samsung Tab A 8.0 tablet with the Sygic app works quite well for a GPS. The only time I have a hard time seeing the screen is when the sun is shining directly on it from behind me. I have an anti-glare screen protector on it that makes for a huge improvement for cutting down on light glare.

Canamandy
08-12-2021, 12:05 PM
I simply have an attachment for my Mobil phone on the handlebars. Then I use google maps. It shows up to date traffic queues second for second and automatically finds a new route if there has been an accident ahead. Shows where speed cameras are and can record your route so you can see it on a map after. Cant beat google maps.

aka1004
08-12-2021, 06:37 PM
your phone? i can't even remember when was last time i had a separate gps.
if its not water proof or resistant, there are waterproof case/mount and whole lotta choice of mount. i personally like mount from value accessory that replaces one of bolt for handlebar with longer bolt.
its all in one, really, music/gps. :)

SpyderGoldwingOwner
08-15-2021, 07:17 PM
the best GPS currently available is the Zumo XT