PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie question re cornering

cyclerambler
08-09-2021, 10:27 PM
I have read numerous posts that get close to my question but not exactly...I took a can-am class in Nashville about a month back and learned on Rykers...fun/light. So earlier today I test drove a 2014 with my wife on the back and it was all good but was really surprised at the amount of sway experienced at turns...reminds me of trying to corner with my dad's old buick...heavy and lumbering. I realize its not a track vehicle but do they really dip so noticeably? It seems like rider leaning into the turn isnt so much to help with the lateral forces but to help offset the sway dip...to keep the cycle more flat in stance. Is this correct? I havent tried an earlier model with the twin...would that be any different?

Thanks
Tom

JohnRuckus
08-10-2021, 12:02 AM
Sorry, I don't think I've experienced what you're describing. I have a '20 RT. That could be part of it, or maybe it is the way you're cornering with a passenger. You may want to compare without the wife on the back and see if you experience the same. Plus, being that you test rode a '14, there may be some mechanical wear and tear that needs to be addressed.
I'm sure others will be able to give more feedback.
What model was the '14?

Mikey
08-10-2021, 06:10 AM
I have read numerous posts that get close to my question but not exactly...I took a can-am class in Nashville about a month back and learned on Rykers...fun/light. So earlier today I test drove a 2014 with my wife on the back and it was all good but was really surprised at the amount of sway experienced at turns...reminds me of trying to corner with my dad's old buick...heavy and lumbering. I realize its not a track vehicle but do they really dip so noticeably? It seems like rider leaning into the turn isnt so much to help with the lateral forces but to help offset the sway dip...to keep the cycle more flat in stance. Is this correct? I havent tried an earlier model with the twin...would that be any different?

Thanks
Tom

Are you on a Ryker? Any way, even if your not, if you just jump on a bike with out setting it up for the load you are going to feel things like you have! You take a bike out of the box on a factory set up, that bike is set at the factory for a set weight, now you load it a little heavier, and it will dip in the corners and handle a little different!!! That's where the adjustable shocks, heavier sway bar, car tires all come into play, you just have to find out how far down that rabbit hole you have to go!! If you are just trying out bikes and you like that style it probably can be set up to be more comfortable for your type of riding with a little tweaking!! Good luck!!

cyclerambler
08-10-2021, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the comments...couple responses...
The cycle we tested was an RT Limited with 20ish kmi (beautiful unit in great condition).
In thinking back to yesterday I think my expectation was out of place in that I may have
expected more of a go-cart/Ryker experience where taking corners was more of an effort of staying
on (countering the raw lateral force) rather than trying to keep it from rolling over. It sounds like
if I want the comfy ride my wife would look forward too with armrests and drink holders I aught not
to expect a Formula type driving experience! Thanks also for suggested areas to look/improve upon.
Appreciated.

Mikey
08-10-2021, 07:39 AM
You are right about the RT is not the crouch rocket Ryker!!! The rt, your sitting up on and not into like a F3 or Ryker! Then if you look at the newer ones the body style is changing some and your sitting down lower and more into them, with the bells and whistles your looking for but come with a bigger price tag!!! But right now there is a bunch of guy's selling there bikes for what ever reason and have them for a pretty good price! Good luck with your hunt!!

Lcfour
08-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Now I've never ridden a Spyder but from the get go I've felt they need to be ridden like a snowmobile. I did have a Moto Ski back in the 80's, you have to really hang off on the inside of turns to prevent rolling over. I imagine it's the same idea on a Spyder except the computer helps stop the rolling. I'm not ready to buy till next year so been holding off on test rides.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-10-2021, 09:50 AM
Now I've never ridden a Spyder but from the get go I've felt they need to be ridden like a snowmobile. I did have a Moto Ski back in the 80's, you have to really hang off on the inside of turns to prevent rolling over. I imagine it's the same idea on a Spyder except the computer helps stop the rolling. I'm not ready to buy till next year so been holding off on test rides.

I don't hang anything off / over EVER, my RT turns great .... if you've NEVER ridden a Spyder, I'm surprised that you are giving advice about riding them ..... PS :welcome: ..... jmho .... Mike :thumbup:

old Timer
08-10-2021, 11:19 AM
First, was the previous owner heavy or light, did He, or She ride 2 up? Where were the shocks set. What condition were the shocks in? My gut feeling is that a Bajaron Sway Bar set up would make a BIG improvement coupled with either a properly front shock set up or even a much better after market set. Most likely this would give you a ride closer to what you are looking for.

Lcfour
08-10-2021, 12:16 PM
I'm not giving advice just my thoughts on the Spyder/ snowmobile relationship. Gee whiz.

Mikey
08-10-2021, 12:34 PM
I'm not giving advice just my thoughts on the Spyder/ snowmobile relationship. Gee whiz.

I ride both, sleds and Spyders and can't really say I would put them together other than they both have a seat on the top!!!!:gaah:

Mazo EMS2
08-10-2021, 07:49 PM
The rolling you feel is pretty common on stock spyders. Many people, especially those who ride two up, add the Baja Ron swaybar to help counter that feeling. I did it and got great results, and I added a set of spring stiffeners up front. As mentioned, it can become a deep rabbit hole as to what you wanna throw at it. The best advice is just practice. It does help if your passenger leans into the corners a bit too. If you use your outer foot/leg to help you hold YOUR balance on the bike, it will help you feel more secure and take away some of that rolling over feeling. The Spyder is not going to go into corners flat just because of the weight and momentum, but you shouldn't feel like it's going to just flop over.

cyclerambler
08-10-2021, 08:59 PM
The rolling you feel is pretty common on stock spyders. Many people, especially those who ride two up, add the Baja Ron swaybar to help counter that feeling. I did it and got great results, and I added a set of spring stiffeners up front. As mentioned, it can become a deep rabbit hole as to what you wanna throw at it. The best advice is just practice. It does help if your passenger leans into the corners a bit too. If you use your outer foot/leg to help you hold YOUR balance on the bike, it will help you feel more secure and take away some of that rolling over feeling. The Spyder is not going to go into corners flat just because of the weight and momentum, but you shouldn't feel like it's going to just flop over.

Ok...that's great info from all that chimed in...greatly appreciated. Its confidence inspiring knowing
its not greatly out of the ordinary.

The chap I'm buying from said he had an aftermarket swaybar installed. I need to give the suspension a good going
over (along with everything else)...at least to better understand whats there and where to go from there.
Regarding spring stiffeners...are those something that one adds to existing springs or new springs altogether?
My dad added big rubber spacers to his buicks springs to help...not sure it did much though.

The chap only rides single and is about my size...so with me and my wife it was seeing more load
than usual. He was meticulous in having all maintenance done on time or early and just put new tires on...
I'm reading where tires may help...oh well on that one.

Looking forward to getting into it...should be fun...especially with all those who have gone
before and shared experiences.

Thanks again

Mikey
08-11-2021, 06:26 AM
You have a good ride there, all you got to do is get some seat time in, and get use to it!!! Have fun,, enjoy!!:2thumbs:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-11-2021, 08:47 AM
BajaRon has adjustable spring adjusters that add more preload to the springs. I have them on my 2014 RT. They help.

Mazo EMS2
08-12-2021, 07:33 PM
Regarding spring stiffeners...are those something that one adds to existing springs or new springs altogether?
My dad added big rubber spacers to his buicks springs to help...not sure it did much though.

Same concept, except the stiffeners are made of steel, with contours in them to grasp the coils of the spring. All ya do is twist them in with a wrench.....20 second task. I think they make a difference.