PDA

View Full Version : Interesting video

MonPaul
08-08-2021, 12:47 PM
This popped up on youtube for recommended videos. Interesting, but I think his bike is too old to draw some of his conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqISa4o8yks&t=544s

ARtraveler
08-08-2021, 01:20 PM
For me, highly reminiscent of the early reviews that the 2008 Spyder got from the Cycle magazines.

Peter Aawen
08-08-2021, 08:39 PM
I dunno, I reckon most of what he says is still at least applicable to the latest Spyders - and remember, he says he loves his Spyder, but there's 5 things that he really hates about it that he reckons BRP/CanAm could readily fix! And he's right, these are all things they could fairly easily fix.... :banghead: . Plus, I reckon that if you look at all the current threads here & elsewhere, most of them STILL DO apply, even if this bloke originally prepared the vid while ryding an RS.... Besides, when you break them all down & consider them in the light of the recent & currently available models & their latest issues, don't they all really still apply, only maybe with the addition of a couple more?? Additions like, stop using your customers as beta-testers for 'not yet ready & working seamlessly products'; & maybe getting their quality control **** in order before releasing a new model?? :dontknow: Anyhow, taking a quick look at the points he raised:

The Nanny is certainly STILL arguably too restrictive & it really shouldn't be too hard to configure things to allow access some worthwhile less restrictive options - they've already released some models with Sports Mode, so it clearly CAN be done, but surely could go a LOT further than they have already! Missed opportunity there BRP/CanAm.... :rolleyes:

Even if you personally are happy with them, it's still not hard for anyone including Blind Freddy to realise that the stock Kenda tires ARE STILL one of the most often critically bagged items about Spyders, & IMHO & clearly that of some if not many others, these tires are the single most restrictive factory supplied items on our Spyders (& Rykers) - just look at all the ongoing complaints, the balancing & handling issues, all the threads, the ongoing replacement tire discussions.... surely BRP/CanAm can't be SO blind as to miss all this, nor so tied up in a contract with Kenda that they CAN'T do something to at least give those of us who want it an option of a better quality/performing tire? Heck, even Kenda have been able to make SOME reasonably good tires for other applications, so we know they ARE capable & could do better if it was required/demanded of them, but we STILL get restricted by BRP/CanAm & their dealer network to a tire 'choice' that is effectively seen by many as a high-cost, low performance, lesser quality product that is arguably the crappiest excuse for a black round thing to keep the metal bits off the road - unless of course we decide or are forced to go elsewhere & source an alternative like sooo many end up doing - STILL! Talk about missing all the market indicators, the drivers, AND missing an opportunity there BRP/CanAm! :rolleyes:

Where's the Power comes next, and it too ISSTILL a biggie that gets raised often & by many, altho probably not as big/often as the crappy tires... In most cases, the majority of the 'proper' ECU Upgrades that are available don't exceed the performance limits of those already existing BRP products using the same engines, so why the restriction?? And there certainly ARE more powerful engine options available within the BRP/CanAm product range too, so why are Spyders so restricted when this is something that comes up EVERY YEAR when discussing the new models, as well as seeing many searching for ECU Upgrades, Pedal Commanders, & the like?!? Another missed opportunity that really shouldn't be hard to fix BRP/CanAm.... :rolleyes:

Then there's the failure in BRP/CanAm Marketing, and again, at least in my experience, he was & STILL is arguably right & it still applies!?! We really don't see any adverts for Spyder or Rykers here in Oz in the mainstream media, and there's very few even in the special interest media/bike mags/vids etc - do you lot get to see many adverts over there?? Effectively, it seems that if you don't KNOW about Spyders/Rykers already, or come across someone who's already got one & is prepared to help you thru the 'finding them' process or at least point you in the right direction, then it's pure luck for anyone to stumble across them.... Who amongst us hasn't had someone come up and ask us what is this thing, who makes it, & then be told how great it looks?? I wonder how many people who ride any other brands of motorcycles EVER get asked those things?? And who hasn't seen a Harley/Honda/Kwacka/Suzi/whatever mainstream motorcycle advert - heck, I've seen more adverts for Acrimoto FUV's here, and we're getting swamped with Indian & bleedin' Ural ads atm too! :shocked: So BRP/CanAm, there's yet another missed opportunity.... :rolleyes:

And lastly, there's the "Why is it Uncool" factor, a question & perception raised as something this fella hates before going on to (effectively, & I am paraphrasing here... :p ) say that it's basically because of all these previously mentioned 'missed opportunities' AND yet ANOTHER missed opportunity that BRP/CanAm just don't seem to realise all the really great reasons that people do actually have for ryding "these awesome machines" and why the bleedin'eck don't they don't take hold of all that & run with it to change that perception..... :gaah: So yeah BRP/CanAm, it's STILL a problem in the way you are presenting & advertising your products, and STILL a missed opportunity! :rolleyes:

So overall, I think these '5 things I hate about my Spyder' DO STILL apply today just as much as they do/did to the earlier Models. Just Sayin' :ohyea:

blackphoenix38
08-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Hey, thats me :)

Yes I do love the spyder, but I think we can all agree it's not perfect and there are some things that could be done better.

Even the newer spyders still have some of the same issues carried over from the older ones.

I appreciate you guys checking out the video and your comments about it.

I'm hoping that BRP and Can Am have listened to some of our complaints over the years with their 2022 launch. I'm actually excited to see whats new for next years lineup.