PDA

View Full Version : Found a simple tool to help me in the rain

Schreckftw
08-07-2021, 06:20 PM
I have an issue with the Spyder in the rain. I am 6'3"ish and when the windshield is all the way up on my 21 RTL I can still see over it. Normally not a problem as I am used to that on my other bikes. On the Spyder it sits at a perfect height that even with my head above it the angle throws the wind right over my helmet. I can ride with my visor up and get hardly any wind in my eyes. The problem in the rain is that when I get water on my visor there is not enough wind moving to get the water to run off my visor even with Rain X. Lowering the windshield helps but exposes to much to the rain.

I was going to order a bigger windshield but to be honest I do not like the look. I have winter gloves I use on my sled that has a squeegee built in but could not find a good pair for warmer weather. My wife found these finger squeegees online and I used it for the first time today. It looked silly but they actually work really well. I put it on my left thumb.

I thought I would share this in case anyone else had the same issue. They are from Show Chrome Accessories.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0022ZJTKS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DVPRKD5SF9MHTWB6BM3G

VitoNam
08-07-2021, 06:31 PM
A nice find for any type of glove!

Personally, I have three different pairs of HELD brand gloves, and all have the squeegee sewn in.

Yes, the squeegees DO work to clear a face shield.

RayBJ
08-08-2021, 10:06 AM
I've used those finger wipers in the past but I tend to lose them! When my lid shield gets wet, I found any glove will wipe the rain off enough to see. If I'm moving at a decent speed, I just lean to the side and let the wind clear the shield.

pegasus1300
08-08-2021, 05:45 PM
Iused to use those when I rose in an area with rain. I don't have to worry about that now in Utah(drought).

vito1943
08-08-2021, 06:21 PM
I haven't been yet caught in the rain on my Spyder, but being only 5'7" I can't really comfortably look over the windscreen even in the lowest position. I can sit up a bit to look over, but I doubt that I could comfortably do that for an extended amount of time. I guess I will have to hope that if I maintain a decent speed the wind will clear the water off the windscreen relatively well and keep the rain off my visor in all but the heaviest downpours. We shall see.

EdMat
08-08-2021, 08:11 PM
I haven't been yet caught in the rain on my Spyder, but being only 5'7" I can't really comfortably look over the windscreen even in the lowest position.

At 5'7" just raise the windshield all the way up. Make sure you keep it coated with some type polymer coating that repels water. At anything above 35 to 40 MPH the only thing that will get wet is the outside of your pant legs. But them dang traffic lights will do you in. :2thumbs:

SpyderGoldwingOwner
08-08-2021, 08:18 PM
I don't wear gloves in the rain

Shield & plastic---------PLEXUS ONLY

RayBJ
08-08-2021, 08:52 PM
I haven't been yet caught in the rain on my Spyder, but being only 5'7" I can't really comfortably look over the windscreen even in the lowest position. I can sit up a bit to look over, but I doubt that I could comfortably do that for an extended amount of time. I guess I will have to hope that if I maintain a decent speed the wind will clear the water off the windscreen relatively well and keep the rain off my visor in all but the heaviest downpours. We shall see.

You sound like a candidate for one of the shorty screens available so you can comfortably see over the screen at lowest position. I find I have better visibility looking over the screen just enough to see the road 40 ft ahead. The RT has an excellent 'dead zone' and face shield only gets a little rain.