PDA

View Full Version : New Tires and slipperiness

JimH
08-06-2021, 09:05 AM
Question to the tire guys. When you get new fronts on, do you need to be cautious the first 50 miles until the oil wears off the tread. I was always told this on my two wheeler, wondering if it applies to 3 wheels.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

PMK
08-06-2021, 09:12 AM
Certainly a best practices method in the interest of safety. 50 miles is not very far.

RayBJ
08-06-2021, 09:22 AM
When I swapped to the Q5 front tires there was no 'slippage' of any significance. Even brand new, they stuck better than the Kendas with 1k miles before swap. Within 30 minutes of normal riding the tires were 'scrubbed in'.

ARtraveler
08-06-2021, 10:44 AM
The manual states that 350 miles is a good break in for tires.

old Timer
08-06-2021, 11:15 AM
The manual states that 350 miles is a good break in for tires.

Remember the Manual is written for the lowest common denominator and is heavily edited by a team of Lawyers. Unless you are going to immediately go WFO in the twisties don't sweat it.

RICZ
08-06-2021, 11:27 AM
It's a myth that there is "mold release" or oil, or anything on the tire. The reason they don't have a lot of grip is the treads are smooth and have not been scuffed in - roughed up by the texture of the pavement. Ever see race cars zig-zag on the track? That's to rough up the new treads.
So, to increase the grip of your new tires, zig-zag and/or get onto a twisty road. But start slow.

BajaRon
08-06-2021, 12:40 PM
It is always good to take it easy after installing something new. I leaned this the hard way with an exhaust system I put on my 1971 Honda 750. It was supposed to be a 'Racing' exhaust. Anything with RACING in front of it has to be good, right? So I went into my first hairpin turn faster than I'd ever gone before! I went in, but I didn't come out.

I do not think you need to take it easy because of any inherent defect 'Slipperyness' of a new tire. But a new tire will handle differently than the old tire. Hopefully better. But you should find this out in increments that you can handle if something isn't as expected. Otherwise, you may learn the hard way like I did.

Ex-Rocket
08-06-2021, 02:33 PM
The nanny will watch over you if you get to crazy with new tires.

ARtraveler
08-06-2021, 03:16 PM
Remember the Manual is written for the lowest common denominator and is heavily edited by a team of Lawyers. Unless you are going to immediately go WFO in the twisties don't sweat it.

I am well aware that the manuals are written so that the manufacturer can CYA big time. Most owners' don't even read the manual. I am one of the few that always did. I have read at least seven versions of the manual over the life of my seven Spyders.

And most people don't agree with the 9,500 mile OR once a year interval (after the initial 3000 mile break-in service) on the oil changes that are suggested for the 1330's. I do, but hey, who am I. :bowdown: :roflblack:

WisconsinDavid
08-06-2021, 03:17 PM
If I'm going to be riding in rain at all (touring) I try to at least get 300 miles on new tires on dry roads before pushing them in rain. That's just me ... even with 4 new car tires... cautious for about the same distance til I know they are a bit scrubbed and grip well in wet.

RICZ
08-06-2021, 03:33 PM
I am well aware that the manuals are written so that the manufacturer can CYA big time. Most owners' don't even read the manual. I am one of the few that always did. I have read at least seven versions of the manual over the life of my seven Spyders.
And most people don't agree with the 9,500 mile OR once a year interval (after the initial 3000 mile break-in service) on the oil changes that are suggested for the 1330's. I do, but hey, who am I. :bowdown: :roflblack:
Who are you? You are in my camp--if it came with a manual, the manual gets read, no matter how simple the item.
Who are you? You are like me--even though we have permission to change oil with over 9K miles on it, we think it wiser to change it more frequently. It is always better to err on the side of caution.