PDA

View Full Version : Changed to a 215/60/15 on a RSS. Shock clearance concern

deadboltdon
07-31-2021, 03:23 PM
I just installed my new tire. Cooper Cs5 Ultra touring. This is a taller tire as we know.
But wow is it close the the shock flange on the bottom. See the pictures.
Can I rotate the flange to the front? Kinda looks like I have to.191477

Peter Aawen
07-31-2021, 05:20 PM
Any clearance more than about 1/8th of an inch should be fine - both the shock & the wheel have fixed mounting points that shouldn't get any closer during operation! :ohyea:

But you might want to keep an eye on that flange if you ever drop your belt tension?! :rolleyes: Is that an adjustable rear shock? :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-31-2021, 06:42 PM
Any clearance more than about 1/8th of an inch should be fine - both the shock & the wheel have fixed mounting points that shouldn't get any closer during operation! :ohyea:

But you might want to keep an eye on that flange if you ever drop your belt tension?! :rolleyes: Is that an adjustable rear shock? :dontknow:

:agree: .... I put that same size on my 08GS and 14 RSS and nevr had any problems ..... Mike :thumbup:

KX5062
08-01-2021, 09:16 AM
I also used that same tire and size on my 2014 RT with no issues and was very happy with the results to boot.

deadboltdon
08-03-2021, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys. I did rotate the shock. I hit a good bump on the way to work. Heard a loud bang.
Can't tell if the flange hit the swingarm. Or maybe things just settled. I will keep a eye on it.
One thing I noticed is the taller tire did change the final gearing slightly. I found that it used to rev rather high around 50-55 km/h. Making a shift to 3rd to cruise at 60km/h the revs were always to low so I sped a lot.
Now in 2nd at 55 km/h revs are happy around 4200rpm. 60km/h around 5000 if don't shift to 3rd.
That and you do sit higher up slightly.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-03-2021, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys. I did rotate the shock. I hit a good bump on the way to work. Heard a loud bang.
Can't tell if the flange hit the swingarm. Or maybe things just settled. I will keep a eye on it.
One thing I noticed is the taller tire did change the final gearing slightly. I found that it used to rev rather high around 50-55 km/h. Making a shift to 3rd to cruise at 60km/h the revs were always to low so I sped a lot.
Now in 2nd at 55 km/h revs are happy around 4200rpm. 60km/h around 5000 if don't shift to 3rd.
That and you do sit higher up slightly.

Well actually the 215 is slightly larger in circumference ( which is what makes your speedo more accurate ) so that rear tire is moving slower than the OEM Kenda ..... Mike :thumbup:

steve3410
08-03-2021, 01:13 PM
I couldn't get the shock to mount with the flange forward. I think Yours hit. JMHO I'd rather grind it a little than hit the swing arm. I'm also put on a dark side tire. Do You run at the same pressure?

Steve