PDA

View Full Version : Ryker won't start !!!!!

ziggy
07-21-2021, 01:40 PM
Beautiful day. I decided to ride. Bike won't start. Said insert key. Tried both keys, checked fuses,\.. Called dealer, thinks it's the DSS,
9 week waiting list !! WHAT!! Waiting for a return call. This means I've got to (1) Buy a trailer hitch. (2) Rent a trailer (3) Take it to Ashville, N.C.
which is 50+ miles away. :(

RykerRider1959
07-21-2021, 02:23 PM
Could be as simple as missing one of the starting procedures
Insert key
Parking Brake engaged...Up Position
Right foot depressing brake down
Touch the start button to engage electronics
Twist throttle forward
Hit start button a second time
Vroooom off ya go...hopefully
If not
If the guage pod has nothing, check battery with your charger or take it out and have your local auto parts store put it on their tester...
Good Luck...

ziggy
07-21-2021, 04:06 PM
Insert key
Twist throttle forward
If not
If the guage pod has nothing, check battery with your charger or take it out and have your local auto parts store put it on their tester...
Good Luck...

Yep....Did all that 5 or 6 times No joy!

Pantera
07-22-2021, 05:46 PM
Please let us know what the problem was when you get it figured out.

RykerRick
07-22-2021, 07:04 PM
Did you check the battery (voltage, loose terminal cable)? Do you use a battery maintainer, short trips isnt enough to keep the battery fully charged and a weak battery will cause your symptoms.

ziggy
07-23-2021, 06:12 AM
Did you check the battery (voltage, loose terminal cable)? Do you use a battery maintainer, short trips isnt enough to keep the battery fully charged and a weak battery will cause your symptoms.

Yes, checked battery, even placed on charger for 8 hours just in case...No joy. Panel shows battery good. Shows insert key, tried both keys.
Bike garaged, never been washed, never ridden in rain . Tried last night at 10pm...going to try again in the next few minutes....:dontknow:
Just went out, tried to start 3 times. No joy.. Instrument panel shows EXACT WORDS " CHECK KEY"" then shuts off.

milryder
07-23-2021, 06:54 AM
If you google this phrase a number of things come up that can affect electronic keys, worth a look maybe. "what can affect operation of electronic keys"

ziggy
07-23-2021, 11:29 AM
I found an old post mentioned on here , about Spyders DESS KEY CODES AGAIN!!!!! but can't find it here now. Seems it was a very common issue with Spyders in 2015.
Anyone know about it? Talked about disconnecting the system . I thought it could be info that might relate to my Ryker

Pirate
07-23-2021, 07:11 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes or so, then reconnecting and see if it restarts?

ziggy
07-23-2021, 07:20 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes or so, then reconnecting and see if it restarts?

No, didn't try that. Thanks, good idea...:cheers:
Half an hour later. Didn't work !

Pantera
08-05-2021, 05:15 AM
No, didn't try that. Thanks, good idea...:cheers:
Half an hour later. Didn't work !

Did you get the problem figured out?

ziggy
08-07-2021, 04:50 PM
No ! Talked to dealer, wants to reprogram keys first. Said it might be a computer issue. Advised to keep it home until they have an opening in the shop .Will call on the 10th or 11th.

apgacivil
08-11-2021, 08:26 PM
I had been looking at changing the key for a keyless start (Slingmods.com $299.95) and in the instruction video it shows how you can by-pass the key landing knob and wiring. It shows how to access the wire harness. You can actually open the panel and see them. Perhaps you can check the connections there or even buy the keyless start and forget the keys!

DickB
08-12-2021, 07:39 AM
I had been looking at changing the key for a keyless start (Slingmods.com $299.95) and in the instruction video it shows how you can by-pass the key landing knob and wiring. It shows how to access the wire harness. You can actually open the panel and see them. Perhaps you can check the connections there or even buy the keyless start and forget the keys!

That won't help. The Slingmods keyless system does not bypass the Ryker key - you must install the Ryker key permanently, and the stock key system must be functioning, for the keyless system to work.

ziggy
08-12-2021, 08:14 AM
Called Can-Am Roadside this morning. Waiting for return call on when a tow truck will be here to pick up my bike. I had to pay an additional $83.00 for the tow
above the $200.00 BRP pays. What's a guy gonna do ? :dontknow:
UPDATE; it's now 2:50PM , no tow truck . Glad I'm not sitting on the side of the road ! This started at 9:AM.
Update : Day two, called back to the Can-Am number on my Warranty Card........Stated they will investigate and call back.
Final Update Day two: They sent a text about !030 Today Friday 13th... Stated tow would arrive in 45-60 min. Arrived in 30. Ryker is in shop.

ziggy
08-18-2021, 09:53 AM
OK...Dealer called. Problem was defective battery. I put on my trickle charger, it showed battery was fully charged. So I guess that was a false positive ?
Going to pick it up in the next hour....:ohyea:

Pantera
08-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Shame to have it out of commission for so long over just a bad battery but at least it is fixed now.Ride on!!

RykerRider1959
08-18-2021, 06:03 PM
Insert key
Twist throttle forward
If not
Good Luck...
7-21-21
Better late than never...