PDA

View Full Version : RT engine vs Gold Wing engine

05titanle
09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok let me start by saying this is more of a question and answer thread, because i dont know much about the true facts about the wing engine. Hear is my two cents. we are already hearing that the engine on the RT is to small and the gas milage is bad, before 99% of the people have even riden the RT. it is not a 30 year old concept like the gold wing, it is all new, i thing the BRP design team did a great job on the first two models in three years in the market of on the road riding, here again is my two cents.
RT vs GW
lets say the RT gets 30 mpg and the GW gets 40 mpg.
30 x 6 = 180 miles
40 x 6 = 240 miles
so we spending $ 25000.00 on the machine, are we worried more about the extra $ 5.00 it cost us to go 60 more miles or that we could ride 60 more miles?
I think if we are spending $ 25,000.00, $5 bucks is not going to make me buy a GW.

Second= what is the percentage of people that ride over 180 miles without stopping. not me!
Third = RT will go over the US speed limit, so how fast do you need to go?

When you go buy a new car do you buy the one that gets 40 mpg over the one that get 30 mpg. or how far you can go on a tank of gas, NO you buy the one you like the best.

Can't wait for my RT-S and trailer to get here. :2thumbs:

ataDude
09-15-2009, 09:10 PM
You just have to ride one to believe how torque-y (is that a word?) the 1800cc engine is (or the 1500cc for that matter).

You can lug it down to about 15mph in 5th and still nicely accelerate... without roughness or hurting the engine. Plus, they are bulletproof... hundreds of thousands of miles on engines without ever opening them up. That's the rule, not the exception.

I have a Valkyrie... which has a modified GW 1500cc engine... and it is the same... torque-y and bulletproof.

Did I mention smooth? Ever hear of the nickel trick? On the Valk, you can place a nickel on it's edge on one of the valve covers and start it up, gun it... whatever... the nickel stays in place.

Did I mention I'm a huge fan of Honda's flat six engines? :ohyea:

But... I'm with you... mileage is secondary to a large degree. And range... it doesn't matter much either... I like to get off every 100 miles or so.

Trickie Dick
09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
"When you go buy a new car do you buy the one that gets 40 mpg over the one that get 30 mpg. or how far you can go on a tank of gas, NO you buy the one you like the best."

In this day and age, all things being equal, of course you buy the one with the better mileage. At least I would.

spyryder
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Looks like a Goldwing trike doesn't get much better mileage if any:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199695

BLACK WIDOW
09-15-2009, 10:08 PM
You just have to ride one to believe how torque-y (is that a word?) the 1800cc engine is (or the 1500cc for that matter).

You can lug it down to about 15mph in 5th and still nicely accelerate... without roughness or hurting the engine. Plus, they are bulletproof... hundreds of thousands of miles on engines without ever opening them up. That's the rule, not the exception.

I have a Valkyrie... which has a modified GW 1500cc engine... and it is the same... torque-y and bulletproof.

Did I mention smooth? Ever hear of the nickel trick? On the Valk, you can place a nickel on it's edge on one of the valve covers and start it up, gun it... whatever... the nickel stays in place.

Did I mention I'm a huge fan of Honda's flat six engines? :ohyea:

But... I'm with you... mileage is secondary to a large degree. And range... it doesn't matter much either... I like to get off every 100 miles or so.

:agree:

Michael:doorag:

Firefly
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM

And that is the proper comparison to make in my opinion.

Give it time---- There will be a Spyder with a bigger engine.

jwfranklin
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
My Rune has a modified GW 1800cc engine, My Rune is cammed different and has 6 injectors were the GW has 2. The Rune is as smooth as they come. I seldom think of coming out of 5th unless I'm under 35. Has all the torque and HP most people could ever want. Personally there are 2 things you can never have to much of, clevage and HP.

Lamonster
09-16-2009, 05:56 AM
As a big fan of the flat 6 and the Spyder I would love to see the flat 6 in the Spyder, that would be the perfect setup but it ain't happening. You have trade offs. Do you go with the Spyder that is much safer as a 3 wheeler and will do everything needed to do in a real world situation with enough money left over to buy a used RS or do you go with a proven leader in reliability that has power to spare and will most likely out live the owner?

If Honda made a Spyder like Roadster I would be all over that in a heart beat but knowing Honda they will wait 20 years to see if it's a good idea or not. They just came out with their first side by side two years ago and last year they came out with the Fury (Chopper) way after the chopper crazy was over.

BRP on the other hand invented the snowmobile, the first sit down PWC, the first two seater atv and now the Spyder. From where I stand BRP still has the passion for what they do and that's why they are moving forward while all the other companies are dropping back.

BLACK WIDOW
09-16-2009, 06:53 AM
As a big fan of the flat 6 and the Spyder I would love to see the flat 6 in the Spyder, that would be the perfect setup but it ain't happening. You have trade offs. Do you go with the Spyder that is much safer as a 3 wheeler and will do everything needed to do in a real world situation with enough money left over to buy a used RS or do you go with a proven leader in reliability that has power to spare and will most likely out live the owner?

If Honda made a Spyder like Roadster I would be all over that in a heart beat but knowing Honda they will wait 20 years to see if it's a good idea or not. They just came out with their first side by side two years ago and last year they came out with the Fury (Chopper) way after the chopper crazy was over.

BRP on the other hand invented the snowmobile, the first sit down PWC, the first two seater atv and now the Spyder. From where I stand BRP still has the passion for what they do and that's why they are moving forward while all the other companies are dropping back.

Yes, I pretty much agree on all counts. I understand that Honda was seriously considering building a 3-wheel Trike (2 back-1 front) and the idea was put on hold because of the product liability issue. Honda took a beating after building and selling the 3-wheel ATV's (remember those issues). I know that BRB is not done with touring machines and I think we all know that engine options are coming sooner maybe than later. IMHO
I think the best is yet to come.nojoke Don't count Honda out either; they didn't become the world's largest Motorcycle manufacturer by being stupid.:D

Dudley
09-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Thank you for this information. It is very informative for those who are looking for comparison.

retread
09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
When I ask conversion trike owners about their gas mileage, they change the subject. Any 3 wheeler is going to get less mileage than a comparable 2 wheeler, laws of physics kick in.

john

Magic Man
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
So my question is....

Why does everybody seem to be shocked that a motor almost twice the size (998cc to 1800cc) with 3 times the cylinders is more powerful and smoother than the V-Twin Spyder motor?

Given that thinking the 6 cylinder GW is way down on power compaired to the 6 cylinder Volvo 16 liter engine in my tractor trailer. :shocked:

The old saying "THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" has not been around so long for no reason.

I'm not really sure how many people will really be torn between a 2 wheeled GW and a 3 wheeled Spyder ether. It's really two different kinds of bikes for sure. Both for touring but different.

Now if we want to talk 3 wheels, than the Spyder's mileage next to a 3 wheeled GW is not that far off, and once the GW starts pulling all the extra weight as a 3 wheeler it's performance goes way down as well.

Then there is the whole price issue too. An RT will be far cheaper than a 3 wheeled GW by a good deal. So, how much gas can you buy with 15K?

Also, how is that factory warranty on the GW once you start pulling a trailer with it?

Take the only other major OEM trike out there, the Tri Glide by HD and the Spyder looks GREAT on every count. Price, power, mpg, trailer pulling, and on and on.

All I can say is, if you want a Spyder to be a GW than you are missing the whole Spyder thing big time. There will ALWAYS be somebody making something that may have a better this or that when looked at one at a time. But overall I think the Spyder is the best major OEM made 3 wheeler out there, hands down. :2thumbs:

Now, if you want to compair it to all bikes (2 wheeled units) I'm sure there may be some shortcomings, but then it's not suposed to be a 2 wheeler ether.

MM

Director
09-16-2009, 12:46 PM
So my question is....

Why does everybody seem to be shocked that a motor almost twice the size (998cc to 1800cc) with 3 times the cylinders is more powerful and smooth than the V-Twin Spyder motor?

Given that thinking the 6 cylinder GW is way down on power compaired to the 6 cylinder Volvo 16 liter engine in my tractor trailer. :shocked:

The old saying "THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" has not been around so long for no reason.

I'm not really sure how many people will really be torn between a 2 wheeled GW and a 3 wheeled Spyder ether. It's really two different kinds of bikes for sure. Both for touring but different.

Now if we want to talk 3 wheels, than the Spyder's mileage next to a 3 wheeled GW is not that far off, and once the GW starts pulling all the extra weight as a 3 wheeler it's performance goes way down as well.

Then there is the whole price issue too. An RT will be far cheaper than a 3 wheeled GW by a good deal. So, how much gas can you buy with 15K?

Also, how is that factory warranty on the GW once you start pulling a trailer with it?

Take the only other major OEM trike out there the Tri Glide by HD and the Spyder looks GREAT on every count. Price, power, mpg, trailer pulling, and on and on.

All I can say is, if you want a Spyder to be a GW than you are missing the whole Spyder thing big time. There will ALWAYS be somebody making something that may have a better this or that when looked at one at a time. But overall I think the Spyder is the best major OEM made 3 wheeler out there, hands down. :2thumbs:

Now, if you want to compair it to all bikes (2 wheeled units) I'm sure there may be some shortcomings, but then it's not suposed to be a 2 wheeler ether.

MM

:agree: Yes, could not have put it better! The Spyder is a unique vehicle. We should truly appreciate and embrace its singularity. :thumbup:

Bruce

BLACK WIDOW
09-16-2009, 03:55 PM
When I ask conversion trike owners about their gas mileage, they change the subject. Any 3 wheeler is going to get less mileage than a comparable 2 wheeler, laws of physics kick in.

john

The group I ride with, of which there are three Goldwing trikes all get in the lower to upper 30's depending on conditions. This is usually always with 2 up and some luggage. We usually fill our rides up at the same stop so I see what they all put in (Kind of a contest). I usually win because mine usually takes more fuel.:D I didn't buy my Spyder for Gas mileage so I just tell them that a racing machine will always take more fuel and they all think the Spyder is very fast.:ohyea:Hope we never have to actually race!

Magic Man
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
the first sit down PWC

BRP's PWC was actually the First PWC sold period. :firstplace:

It was out before Kawaski started selling the Jet-Ski.

It had some clutch and water issues and was not sold very long, but it was still the first PWC sold. :thumbup:

MM

jimmykjimmy
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Let's face it guys, all the tech talk is okay BUT the Spyder is a chick magnet. I've had more women want to sit on the Spyder than would ever want to sit on a GW. (Haven't told my wife yet). :yes:

BAZMAN
09-16-2009, 05:11 PM
your darn right i look at mpg. i live rio rancho nm. at 5000ft. i drive moderately. whether its around toen or mixed driving, i am getting a constant 39mpg. lamont posted that he usually gets 32mpg when he pulls
his trailer. 2 people i know have gold wings 2 and 3 wheelers. the 2 gets 45 to 48 mpg and the trike gets 38 to 40 mpg. both are 1800's.
its not just the torque, its the gearing. if the hondas were geared like the
spyder thet would be getting terrible mpg too.
lamont posted that the torque on the new spyder comes on at 1000rpm
sooner. my 2008 spyder pulls from 2700rpms in all gears even riding 2 up.
according the posts i have read the rpms on the new rt rpms are 5500 at
75mph. the same as my spyder. in 5th gear. as i have said before they
can easily have 5th gear 4500rpms at 75mph. i do not think having a bigger engine is going to help if brp cannot figure out how to gear it
properly. also remember some of the 1st spyders had some problems.
even if i decide to buy an rt. it wont be the 1st year. and it will not
happen untill they improve the mpg.

Dragonrider
09-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, my SM5 gets 27, my K1200LT gets 58, my V-Rod gets 35, and my Valk gets 38 (BTW attadude, my Valk's license is "F6" - eat your heart out)

chris56
09-17-2009, 05:02 AM
i think the times of the goldwings are gone .. now we live in the spyder-century..
to discuss about the 2 engines - we need the weight first..
so the spyder would be 20% (?) more heavier with this flat6..
so also more mpg aso..
as far as i know the rotax is they lightweights on the market..
chris

BRPjunkie
09-17-2009, 08:01 AM
BRP's PWC was actually the First PWC sold period. :firstplace:

It was out before Kawaski started selling the Jet-Ski.

It had some clutch and water issues and was not sold very long, but it was still the first PWC sold. :thumbup:

MM

Right you are. Clayton Jacobson worked with Bombardier to develop the first Sea Doo in 1968. After two years of assorted mechanical and liability problems, they gave up and Jacobson bought the rights to the idea from Boambardier. He went to Kawasaki where they built the first stand up Jet Ski in 1973. Bombardier was five years ahead of Kawasaki who many still believe "invented" the PWC.

Oldmanzues
09-18-2009, 08:45 PM
I have been following this for a while. I am starting to get old and wanted a three wheeler. Actually bought a VTX 1300 to trike. Rode several different trike conversions with different bikes. None was what I was looking for. I know, to each his own, I am not trying to start anything.

I was able to demo a Spyder at Vintage Days in Ohio last year for several miles. Liked it. Went to a dealer for slow in parking lot stuff, bought it. A little over 4K on it in five months. No matter what the age, Spyders are fun and easy to ride. My ST 1100 does not get much use anymore.

A engine to replace the Rotax. How about a V 4 ST1300 ?

Old Man Zues

BLACK WIDOW
09-22-2009, 10:42 AM
It was brought to my attention that comparing a Goldwing to A RT/RS/GS engine would be impossible in that they were designed to do very different things. The Rotax 990 was built to be a racing/sport bike engine that developes high HP (for its size) and does it by turning very high PRM. The Goldwing engine, on the other hand, was exclusively designed for a touring motorcycle and the engine is not used for anything else (except the RUNE and don't know what you would call that). So the difference is in the intended use as by design. They are both very good at what they were designed for. The Rotax for high performance racing, the Goldwing for touring. In its present state the Goldwing would not make the best racing engine, as the Rotax would not be the best power plant for touring. IMHO:f_spider:

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 01:39 PM
It's not easy to get real apples to apples stats for this but here is what I found.

Spyder RT vs Goldwing 1800

Horsepower - 100hp - 118hp
Torque - 80 lb-ft. -125 lb-ft.
Weight - 929 lbs. - 928 lbs. (2 wheeled version)
Fuel Tank 6.6 gals. - 6.6 gals.

I did find one weight spec for a Cobra Goldwing trike kit of 1080 lbs. Hard to believe that triking the Goldwing would add just 90 pounds.

Triking a Goldwing does not require adding all the storage that has been added to the standard Spyder for the RT.

But triking the Goldwing does require adding some heavy components like 2 large automotive tires/wheels, an automotive type differential, axle and suspension. Not to mention large fender skirts to cover it all.

You do lose the original tire/drive/suspension/fender but you are certainly replacing these with much heavier systems.

Not only will the Goldwing trike be heavier than the RT, but there is additional power train loss wth the trike system that does not ocurr in the RT.

So yes, the Goldwing trike power plant is bigger and has both more HP and Torque. But it also has more to deal with in Weight and Power Train loss than the RT.

After riding with Lamont on his loaner RT, I think those that actually get to ride one will be surprised.

The RT isn't going to give crotch rockets a run, but I'll bet there are a number of Goldwing owners jumping over to the RT.

reinie
09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Last year I demoed an SM5 Spyder and about six weeks ago demoed a new unsold 2007 GL1800 Goldwing with a Roadsmith Trike conversion on it. This unit was still priced at $29,999 and it had the lateral g-forces similar to the Spyder to contend with. It had an easy-steer rake kit but still required quite a bit of effort in tight corners. Very roomy and very quiet with a plush ride to it and seemed to have more than adequate power out on the road. Since it cost more than my first house I passed on it. The RT Spyder looks intriguing, but the top shelf model only comes in about 5 grand below the GW trike. I'll still have to demo one when the opportunity arrives as the base RT looks to be a bit less pricey. It still boils down to an apples and oranges comparison in my humble opinion.

BajaRon
09-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Last year I demoed an SM5 Spyder and about six weeks ago demoed a new unsold 2007 GL1800 Goldwing with a Roadsmith Trike conversion on it. This unit was still priced at $29,999 and it had the lateral g-forces similar to the Spyder to contend with. It had an easy-steer rake kit but still required quite a bit of effort in tight corners. Very roomy and very quiet with a plush ride to it and seemed to have more than adequate power out on the road. Since it cost more than my first house I passed on it. The RT Spyder looks intriguing, but the top shelf model only comes in about 5 grand below the GW trike. I'll still have to demo one when the opportunity arrives as the base RT looks to be a bit less pricey. It still boils down to an apples and oranges comparison in my humble opinion.

In some respects I agree, it is apples and oranges. Especially when you compare the price of a 2 (soon to be 3) year old clearance GW trike to a 2010 RT. Though I get your drift it's still not an even comparrison.

But in other respects it's just 2 different ways to arrive at the same destination and I think it comes close to apples and apples that way.

We just talked to a guy that had a brand new Champion Trike conversion that cost him $38k. I'm assuming that was the Out-The-Door price, not sticker price. It was a very nice machine but as Lamont went over the RT the GW owner kept saying things like "Mine doesn't have that, or Mine won't do that".

The real killer was when his wife sat on the RT and said it was more comfortable than their GW.

Admittedly, she didn't ride on the back but still, it did'nt put a smile on the guys face.

I'm not saying the RT is a better deal. The Honda is a fine machine that is proven and has something the RT will never have, Honda engineering.

But I am saying I think the RT has something that the Honda does not, and will give the GW a run for the money. And it's the Apples to Apples part that will make it a competitor in that market.

It will be interesting, to say the least.

brewsky
09-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Gold Wing engine to Rotax engine..no contest..118HP, 125 ft lbs TQ to 100 HP, 80# TQ....the math has already been done.........but............
An RT vs Gold Wing Trike calls for an MCN shootout!!
Having owned 3 1800 wings, one of which was attached to a CSC trike kit, I can tell you a trike feels underpowered compared to the 2 wheel version.
The SM5 we demo'd, and almost bought, did not feel underpowered compared to the trike.
Shootout time......RT vs GL1800 trike (preferably IRS version)

reinie
09-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I guess being these machines are totally different in every way, the only thing they have in common is three wheels. Perhaps it was unfair to demo a nearly three year old unsold trike conversion, but at the time I though it was pretty nice of that Honda dealer to allow not only me to demo ride, but to let me take my wife as passenger along for the ride. Hopefully my Yamaha dealer (who also sells Can Am Spyders) will be as generous whenever he gets a new RT. In the context of the ride I took, the Goldwing trike felt large, was comfortable, exhibited more resistance to turning than expected, and seemed to have ample engine power. Now that being said, I cannot see anywhere that I showed any disrespect for either the Goldwing or the Can Am. I think that Honda dealer was a bit high priced considering the age of the trike, but maybe not way-off considering a new one is over 36 grand.

jcbatt
09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Agree, apples and oranges...

I am a new Spyder owner (08 SM5). I am young, and have owned a GL1800 (2 wheel) before (it was the only thing my wife would ride with me). My father recently became a Champion trike dealer, so this past week I got to ride my Spyder and a GL1800 with the Champion kit back to back.

Completely different machines, each with the pluses and minuses.

Spyder = very sporty feel, ability to handle really well if I move around on it, not as comfortable for longer trips, not nearly as comfortable for a passenger. Much better suited to my age and preference for sporty feel then the GW.

GL1800 w/ Champion and easy steer = adequate power, better handling than I thought it would have (I was able to ride it just as fast around bends as I can the Spyder and it felt very solid), great for long distance, and my wife loved it. When we were parked, both got a lot of looks and drew a lot of attention (I was actually surprised the GW trike did). I was not overwhelmed with the power, but I think it has more to do with the smoothness of the GW than anything else - the power is just always there. I was pleasantly surprised with the handling.

I will be very interested to see how an RT compares to a GW trike.

reinie
09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I hardly qualify here as I haven't yet owned either machine. I do however like to demo ride different bikes/trikes to get an idea what I want to have for my next ride. I am 56 years of age and backing out onto my gravel driveway gets more difficult each year. Ditto for holding up the bike while my wife gets on and off or at stops while two-up. I can see the day coming when three wheels or a lighter/lower bike will be needed. The reverse gear of the Spyder or the Goldwing is another beneficial feature I can really appreciate. I can relate to needing power as a fully loaded two-up machine needs it whether it be on-ramps, passing, or hill climbing/headwinds. If that is less than adequate, I'd be more than a bit uncomfortable with it.

jcbatt
09-26-2009, 11:04 AM
One point on the reverse gear - its much better on the Spyder, as it is uses the engine power, not the electric starter as it does on the goldwing. I may be nuts, but I always hate using the reverse on the GW too long because it seems like it is hard on that little electric motor and the battery. Not a big deal, but it is a difference.

jnt
09-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Have a friend with a Spyder, former owner of a succession of 3 GW trikes. Spyder handles "way better, especially in the twisties". She is now working on farkelizing her RS for comfort.

BLACK WIDOW
09-26-2009, 03:15 PM
One point on the reverse gear - its much better on the Spyder, as it is uses the engine power, not the electric starter as it does on the goldwing. I may be nuts, but I always hate using the reverse on the GW too long because it seems like it is hard on that little electric motor and the battery. Not a big deal, but it is a difference.

There is no doubt that the Spyder has the better reverse.nojoke

Questions
06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Ok let me start by saying this is more of a question and answer thread, because i dont know much about the true facts about the wing engine. Hear is my two cents. we are already hearing that the engine on the RT is to small and the gas milage is bad, before 99% of the people have even riden the RT. it is not a 30 year old concept like the gold wing, it is all new, i thing the BRP design team did a great job on the first two models in three years in the market of on the road riding, here again is my two cents.
RT vs GW
30 x 6 = 180 miles
40 x 6 = 240 miles
so we spending $ 25000.00 on the machine, are we worried more about the extra $ 5.00 it cost us to go 60 more miles or that we could ride 60 more miles?
I think if we are spending $ 25,000.00, $5 bucks is not going to make me buy a GW.

Second= what is the percentage of people that ride over 180 miles without stopping. not me!

When you go buy a new car do you buy the one that gets 40 mpg over the one that get 30 mpg. or how far you can go on a tank of gas, NO you buy the one you like the best.

Just returned from a 3800 mile trip. I have a 2011 RT Limited, there was a 2008 goldwing and a 2008 harley ultra classic both with MotorTrike conversions on them. We all filled gas at the same time and the gold wing would average 36, harley 33, and my spyder 31 ish. As far as power both the goldwing and spyder would both hide from the harley. Running at 80 mph on the interstate side by side with the wing we both give it full throtle, my spyder pulled away until about 105mph and then then wing passed me up slowly. Don't short change the spyder, it will perform with the wings.
Outback

Pennyrick
06-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Three weeks ago I traded in my 2002 GW 1800 on a 2011 RT-SM. As most have expressed on this thread the GL 1800 engine is bulletproof. Mine had 39,000 trouble free miles on it pulling the triked bike with a Motor Trike three wheel kit while returning 30-36 mpg. I loved the way I could pull from 1,500 rpm in 5th gear and the laid back comfort of the Honda.

My wife's '10 RT woke me up to the fact that the Gold Wing just doesn't have the excitement of the Spyder. So my triked '02 with lots of aftermarket goodies on it brought me $19,000 on the trade for the new RT. My out-the-door price on the RT was $26,136, so for a little over seven grand I have put new life back into my riding.

In 1974 I bought my first bike, a Honda CB 360T. Over the ensuing years, I have owned many others. Now at age 72 I am rediscovering some of the lost fun that I was missing on the Gold Wing Trike.

Slybird
06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
RT vs GW
30 x 6 = 180 miles
40 x 6 = 240 miles

I totally agree with everything said. When I was an active Iron Butt rider, I loved my Goldwing with its aux 4.5 gal fuel tank in the right saddlebag....meaning I didn't have to stop for a good five to six hours at a crack. Now that I've moved on and decided to back off a little and smell the roses, so to speak, the stopping every two to two and a half hours works for me just fine. And while I'll NEVER badmouth a Wing, the RT-S is BY FAR the most comfortable touring machine I've ever owned (having gone through 3-Wings, 1-Venture and an Ultra-Classic).

Ryde on!!!

Mr. White
06-15-2011, 06:53 PM
I just got back from a 168 mile lunch ride on my '02 Gold Wing with a solid axle Motor Trike kit. This is the first long ride in over a month, my other riding has been on my RT. I got 33 mpg today, which I usually get, plus or minus 1 or 2 mpg depending on my right hand. I have 60,169 trouble free miles on my Wing. The engine is smooth and powerful. My trike weighs 1250 according to Motor Trike. The electronics are second to none.

My 2011 RT-S SE5 has 2024 miles on it and it runs like a hose. It, too, is smooth and powerful, although not as strong as my Wing. The radio is not as good, but I have different headsets in my two FF helmets and this could be part of the problem. I like the SE shifting.

My RT is smoother on bumpy pavement and handles better than my Wing does in curves. Both are great on the Interstate. I only speak of MY machines, but I am really getting used to my RT and like it more each day. So far, a change out of the DPS sensor is the only defect. Time will tell.

I love them both. :ohyea:

:spyder2:

Pandy
06-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Tried as I did, (see posts about GW Trike) My friend wanted the GW. Granted, for handling and storage, it's the RT all the way. The GW throttle response is like a rheostat. Not that ours is jerky,it's just different. The way the two machines respond to the torque at hand is far different as well. As another thought, the :spyder2: is a purpose built machine, the GW a very good, but still an adaptation. That's why I don't have one. Another factor is WOOT!

Patrick

Bob Denman
06-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Somebody mentioned Sea Doo... There's no doubt that Bombardier has always tried to be a leader! :thumbup:

Mr. White
06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Tried as I did, (see posts about GW Trike) My friend wanted the GW. Granted, for handling and storage, it's the RT all the way. The GW throttle response is like a rheostat. Not that ours is jerky,it's just different. The way the two machines respond to the torque at hand is far different as well. As another thought, the :spyder2: is a purpose built machine, the GW a very good, but still an adaptation. That's why I don't have one. Another factor is WOOT!

Patrick

Patrick, not to worry. I think you said your friend got a California Sidecar kit on his Wing. This is a outstanding company with many fine dealer/installers. I rode my GW trike yesterday and really enjoyed it. It is a different ride than the Spyder, but a good ride. I have over 60K on my trike and it has been problem free.... Your friend will have many, many miles on his trike with a grin on his face. "He done good!"

:spyder2:

ARtraveler
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Very interesting discussion. Lots of points of view and inputs.

I really like the fact of having more power than I need--I came off of a Vulcan 2000cc cruiser to get my first :spyder2:. I also like the quiet and smoothness of the bigger engines.

Also had Yamaha 1980's Venture and Kawasaki 2000's Voyager--both close to the wing. i really liked both--but I started to have issues with the heavyness and muscle needed to horse the bigger bikes around.

I do like the ergonomics of the Spyder--especially the RTS. The real reverse is a plus for me.

My only complaint is I feel that it is underpowered with the 990 Rotax, and I would like a quieter, smoother engine. I have had one of each year :spyder2: since their inception. I did not jump on the 2011's because all that appealed to me was the Pearl White RTS.

If they come out with a bigger, smoother engine--I will be in the market for that--and will trade in the 2010 RTS. That will probably be my last bike--but I am still waiting.

fjray
08-08-2016, 08:57 PM
I had a wing before the rt and am now in the process of selling the rt to return to a wing. The back and forth motion on the spyder is to much for my bad neck. I like the flat six engine and IMHO the trailer hitch on the spyder is a very poor design. I have never seen a road going vehicle with the trailer hitch bolted to the rear axle. On my last trip the trailer took such a beating it broke one of the tounge mounts and broke most of the bottles in the cooler. A proper hitch should be mounted to the frame so the suspension can isolate the road from the trailer. Mounting the seat to the rear wheel wouldn't be very comfy. I like most things on the spyder but a few itams has me looking for another wing.

fjray
08-08-2016, 09:03 PM
I had a wing before the rt and am now in the process of selling the rt to return to a wing. The back and forth motion on the spyder is to much for my bad neck. I like the flat six engine and IMHO the trailer hitch on the spyder is a very poor design. I have never seen a road going vehicle with the trailer hitch bolted to the rear axle. On my last trip the trailer took such a beating it broke one of the tounge mounts and broke most of the bottles in the cooler. A proper hitch should be mounted to the frame so the suspension can isolate the road from the trailer. Mounting the seat to the rear wheel wouldn't be very comfy. I like most things on the spyder but a few itams has me looking for another wing.

bigben
08-08-2016, 09:52 PM
i ride a 2013 goldwing with a csc trike kit. it handles great and the ride is great it has all the power you can handle and want. it is my second trike. i road a 2014 rt and it was not for me. my wife told me not to sell the goldwing and buy a spyder. i can ride the goldwing and not worry about being stuck out on the road with a break down.

Bobleach45
08-08-2016, 10:58 PM
Can't compare 2 wheel mpg with 3 wheel. 3 wheel always lots less. But, you can compare the new 3 wheel conversion by Motor Trike which is the front end kit for converting a Goldwing to 3 wheels. Stopped for coffee and a person had one and we started talking and comparing. Went for a short ride together on each other's bike. Need to try it on the twisties when we get a chance. When it comes to comfort, Motor Trike wins hands down and more seat riding comfort for 2 up. The Goldwing doesn't have DESS so no problem there and the Motor Trike has real tires. Engine longevity is a proven on Goldwing. I liked the way the Goldwing Motortrike RT conversion felt on the road. I think BRG needs to pay attention to their problems and to what Motor Trike is doing. I would definitely have to give one a serious try if I was going to buy a new bike. Lots more dealers to work on a Goldwing also. Just some food for thought.

Chasinsparks
08-09-2016, 12:20 AM

R18 Reverse Trike.. Other than cost what are your thoughts?

Commander
08-09-2016, 05:10 AM
There are multiple reasons for going either two or three wheels. You do your research, you buy the one you like, you fix it the way you want.
Enjoy your ride and be safe.

Ex Winger
08-09-2016, 07:38 AM
i ride a 2013 goldwing with a csc trike kit. it handles great and the ride is great it has all the power you can handle and want. it is my second trike. i road a 2014 rt and it was not for me. my wife told me not to sell the goldwing and buy a spyder. i can ride the goldwing and not worry about being stuck out on the road with a break down.
I ride my 2015 RT-S and never worry about breaking down.I had 2 Goldwings and both were great bikes but as for a trike the Spyder wins with a much better reverse and abs as standard equipment.They all have there good points and bad,Just ride whats best for you.
Bill
I do know the Wings had there share of tranny problems

larryd
08-09-2016, 09:23 AM

R18 Reverse Trike.. Other than cost what are your thoughts?

I rode the factory demo with the easy steer at a GW show in State College PA earlier this year...Liked the bike, handling & power...Didn't like the lack of front storage, weak reverse and manual shifting...

My ride now is a 2014 RTS SE6...Came off a 2008 GS SM5...If I had a GW I'd consider this conversion, and I'd also look at the new Motor Trike conversion, but only if I had a GW...

Just my opinion...larryd

MouthPiece
08-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Note when this thread was originally posted.

Chris

Ex Winger
08-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Note when this thread was originally posted.

Chris
Yup many years ago.The Wing would be the same engine but the Spyder now has the 1330 engine.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-09-2016, 10:18 PM
I had a wing before the rt and am now in the process of selling the rt to return to a wing. The back and forth motion on the spyder is to much for my bad neck.
Did you ever have it laser aligned? There are three primary reasons in my experience why you have back and forth motion. First is grip. You have to hold on loosely, otherwise you end up fighting the steering controls. If the front tires are toed out that will cause back and forth motion. Third is road surface. That you can't do much about but let the bike find its best tracking. Again holding on loose is the key. On smooth road with no ruts I have no side to side motion, and very little in cross winds. In fact, I have found the Spyder to be more stable in cross winds than the Goldwing I had.

I like the flat six engine and IMHO the trailer hitch on the spyder is a very poor design. I have never seen a road going vehicle with the trailer hitch bolted to the rear axle. On my last trip the trailer took such a beating it broke one of the tounge mounts and broke most of the bottles in the cooler. A proper hitch should be mounted to the frame so the suspension can isolate the road from the trailer. Mounting the seat to the rear wheel wouldn't be very comfy.
Practicality of installation and cost is the driver for the hitch design. One can be mounted to the frame but in order to install it the entire rear cargo module would have to come off. For a dealer to install one the cost for a hitch could easily hit $600 or more, way more than most owners would be willing to spend. But you are correct, the hitch does cause a trailer tongue to ride hard.

I like most things on the spyder but a few itams has me looking for another wing.
Sorry to see you give up on the Spyder, but as they say, "Different strokes for different folks." Just keep in mind that you are giving up the only three wheeler built from the ground up as a three wheeler with unmatched safety features.

Bob Denman
08-10-2016, 06:56 AM
This thread was five years old... With all of the Changes to the Spyders: almost none of the old information is valid anymore.
Who keeps playing "Archeologist"? :dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-10-2016, 08:19 AM
This thread was five years old... With all of the Changes to the Spyders: almost none of the old information is valid anymore.
Ah yes, but the post I replied to was only one day old!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
08-10-2016, 08:34 AM
:D I know... :thumbup:

Sometimes, an old thread can still provide useful information, or at least some perspective.
But everything changed in 2014...

billybovine
08-10-2016, 08:39 AM

http://www.warmingtonheritage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/PICT0006-300x225.jpg

Bob Denman
08-10-2016, 09:21 AM
:roflblack: Did they find Moses' DVD collection yet? :dontknow:

Pirate looks at --
08-10-2016, 09:35 AM
:roflblack: Did they find Moses' DVD collection yet? :dontknow:

But they did find his collection of Beta Max tapes!:roflblack::roflblack: