PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear boots when riding?

vito1943
07-20-2021, 11:51 AM
This may seem like a silly question, but do you wear boots, i.e., motorcycle boots, when riding a Spyder? For my 35 years of motorcycle riding I always wore boots. In part it was for ankle protection if I went down, and in part it was to handle the wear of the shift lever on my left side. Riding a Spyder now, whether right or wrong I have less concern about going down, and there is no shift lever for my foot. I still wear jeans, not shorts, so that I have something between the road and my skin in case of a crash, as well as a helmet and gloves. But I find that I don't feel the need as much for boots, or for an armored jacket for that matter. I never was an ATGATT guy, even when I was an MSF Instructor in the 1990's, but boots were always a "must have" item for a ride. But now not so much.

BajaRon
07-20-2021, 11:55 AM
After 33 years responding to accidents (it really didn't take nearly that long to convince me) I wear boots. My feet could not be called pretty, but I still like them!

rjinaz86323
07-20-2021, 11:59 AM
I always wear over the ankle boots

troop
07-20-2021, 12:06 PM
50/50

ARtraveler
07-20-2021, 12:06 PM
Always a part of my gear. Over the ankle types. Engineer, Wellingtons, SIDI or Ariat ankle high. Depends on my mood of the day. Both my Engineer and Wellingtons are over 20 years old. The Engineers were re-soled about 12 years ago.

RykerRider1959
07-20-2021, 12:12 PM
I have been wearing this brand/style for close to 20 years...Both street and trail riding...I prefer the brushed leather look...And the PRICE...lol...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-Men-s-Bravo-II-6-Steel-Toe-Work-Boots/55172844?selected=true

bigbadbrucie
07-20-2021, 12:14 PM
My arthritis makes wearing boots and being able to “hit the brake” difficult, so I wear oxford shoes. For me, that “feels” like the safer option!

BryanSD
07-20-2021, 12:19 PM
I'll occasionally wear regular shoes for short trips on city streets (work, store, etc) but always wear boots when I hit the highway. You just never know what rogue rock, bug, or debris is going to be coming your way. The same rules apply with a helmet...my forehead can take-on a bug at 30 MPH but not 75 MPH.

Fatcycledaddy
07-20-2021, 12:20 PM
Yes, always. Tourmaster gortex riding boots.

https://www.denniskirk.com/tour-master/black-solution-waterproof-air-boots.p3573363.prd/35733637.sku?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpr2bkJTy8QIVmGxvBB0 ffQ_UEAQYBCABEgIDo_D_BwE

RickG
07-20-2021, 12:32 PM
Yes, always. Short ankle boots around town and calf high when on the road. Before wearing boots I went down on my BMW and scrapped up the ankle resulting in MRSA and a 6 months recovery process. It's now ATGATT and has been for many years. Even with 3 wheels if I get hit, auto or deer, I am probably leaving the ride airborne. Dress for the slide, not the ride.

Wheelman
07-20-2021, 12:47 PM
At minimum ankle boots but mostly Danner full size side zip Gortex boots.

Lew L
07-20-2021, 01:12 PM

Ankle high hiking boots. Always.......
Along with all the other gear.

UtahPete
07-20-2021, 01:25 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but do you wear boots, i.e., motorcycle boots, when riding a Spyder? For my 35 years of motorcycle riding I always wore boots. In part it was for ankle protection if I went down, and in part it was to handle the wear of the shift lever on my left side. Riding a Spyder now, whether right or wrong I have less concern about going down, and there is no shift lever for my foot. I still wear jeans, not shorts, so that I have something between the road and my skin in case of a crash, as well as a helmet and gloves. But I find that I don't feel the need as much for boots, or for an armored jacket for that matter. I never was an ATGATT guy, even when I was an MSF Instructor in the 1990's, but boots were always a "must have" item for a ride. But now not so much.

I wear ankle high boots as a minimum in warm weather. They're required on military bases. In cold weather I have some insulated boots, also ankle high. My SIDI riding boots aren't as comfortable or easy to get on/off so I haven't been wearing those with the Spyder.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-20-2021, 01:27 PM
No or rarely on the boot thing .... and I hardly ever ride ATGATT, except in the winter..... :dontknow:..... Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
07-20-2021, 01:39 PM
I am not an ATGATT guy. I wear boots, (Bates) jeans, gloves, & helmet almost all the time. There are times, when on the road, after checking into a motel, that I will go to supper wearing sneakers, shorts and a cap..... Jim

Deanna777
07-20-2021, 01:41 PM
I always wear leather over the ankle boots.

Deanna

pegasus1300
07-20-2021, 01:57 PM
I have a pair of Triumph Top Gear boots made by Ashman's of England that I have worn since 1972. The soles are getting worn mostly from dragging on the asphalt in my younger days but they are still serviceable. I wear them now mostly for dress. I have a pair of the Tourmaster boots that must be 20 years old. I bought those used from a fellow Venture Rider 10 years ago. The sole id coming off those and the leather is flaking. The pair I wear the most is a set of Milwaukie. I put padded insoles in them for my hurting feet and they are pretty comfortable now. I wear those on any long trip. If I am just riding around here I wear my Keens, especially if I am going to be doing any walking. It was boots only back in the 2 wheel days but not so much anymore.

chuck58
07-20-2021, 02:04 PM
Ankle boots all of the time. Too much heat for anything else.

RayBJ
07-20-2021, 02:05 PM
I always wear boots to ride. TCX has been my go-to brand with Goretex waterproofing. Easy zipper/velcro opening.

CopperSpyder
07-20-2021, 02:12 PM
Still wear my leather HD boots with side zip. Easy on and off, they also have some venting that keeps them cool.

Spiderfrog
07-20-2021, 02:13 PM
Two wheels always boots, leather, gloves and helmet, three wheels not so much (although I know I should) still always long pants & shirt selves, (motorcycle jacket in winter) helmet & gloves, I work on military base so that is required when coming on base and live in helmet law state so always have to wear a helmet.

obiwanbill
07-20-2021, 02:14 PM
Basic for 2 or 3 wheeling. Also the engine heat from Spyder radiating thru Tupperware requires at least ankle boots and jeans. Never shorts & flip flops!

Navydad
07-20-2021, 02:36 PM
Yes sir

BajaRon
07-20-2021, 02:47 PM
One thing I learned in going to calls over the years is that if you wear slip-on boots, they will probably slip-off on impact (I mean impact with the vehicle before you hit anything yourself). Same for anything not over the ankle. Anything that can come off (including helmets) will come off. Usually on initial vehicle impact. Wearing a helmet too big, regardless of how tight you get the chin strap, has a good chance of not being there when you need it. Just a cold, hard fact.

Peteoz
07-20-2021, 04:34 PM
It’s a trade off for me. With size 15s there are a limited number of choices. I used to use Bates Goretex boots, but their quality has dropped right off. The soles broke up and fell off within 12 months on the last 2 pairs. If I am off on a long, multi day trip. I have a pair of solid Sketchers Goretex boots that I wear. All other times, I wear solid lace up joggers…….mostly because they let me bend my ankle more easily to get to the awkward (for me) brake pedal on the new ‘21RT. That action is quite difficult in boots. I am actually thinking of installing a hand operated brake lever, just so I can quickly operate the brakes while getting my foot on the pedal.

Pete

WisconsinDavid
07-20-2021, 04:38 PM
I still wear the same gear that I wore on 2 wheels... tourmaster boots now, riding pants on tours and jeans when not, textile jacket, helmet and gloves when not too beastly hot. I went down 4 years ago and besides a broken leg/ankle (boot didn't save that) I had no road rash. Getting cut off on a harley is not fun I learned :) Rub some dirt on it and keep riding!

rjinaz86323
07-20-2021, 04:42 PM
I am actually thinking of installing a hand operated brake lever, just so I can quickly operate the brakes while getting my foot on the pedal.
Pete

That is a good option, but you might try the Lamonster brake rod first. Solved that problem for me. But agree a handbrake would be nice, but expensive.

kissfan
07-20-2021, 05:54 PM
Tennis shoes. If they were good enough for Jax Teller... :p

remus
07-20-2021, 06:04 PM
I wear over the ankle boots or hikers. At work they poke fun of my shoes because most to the people I work with wear tennis shoes.

EdMat
07-20-2021, 07:18 PM
Where's all the flip flop fans I always hear about but hardly ever see?

Peteoz
07-20-2021, 07:58 PM
That is a good option, but you might try the Lamonster brake rod first. Solved that problem for me. But agree a handbrake would be nice, but expensive.

I’d love to use Lamonster’s shortened brake rod rjinaz….indeed, I had one on my F3 ;)………unfortunately, the ‘21RT doesn’t use a brake rod, and you can’t “clock” the brake lever position lower as BRP have doctored the spline to prevent it :spyder:

Pete

PistonBlown
07-20-2021, 08:15 PM

One of them was in the hospital bed beside me when I last came off and broke a few things. Only one of us was able to return to riding.

DanDanTMM
07-20-2021, 10:13 PM
I have been wearing Cruiserworks boots for a very long time. Too bad they don't make them anymore because I would love a new pair. They saved my feet when I crashed my 2008 Nomad in the Ozarks back in 2015. I wear them in case I have an unfortunate superman event on the Spyder.

Little Blue
07-21-2021, 03:16 AM
:coffee: I had always worn my work boots.
But then times changed and now I wear my ankle boots.

Thanks you and have a wonderful day. ....:thumbup:

Greven
07-21-2021, 03:46 AM
I use motorbike boots, with a quite stiff sole and additional protection for the ankles.
It is a trade off for comfort and ease for walking when off the bike, I've in the past used touring boots that go higher up on the shins and offer some protection against twisting of the foot as well, but they are less comfy and reduce the "feel" for the brake pedal.

pidjones
07-21-2021, 07:12 AM
Yes. Presently Bilt boots from Cycle Gear. Pretty comfortable on my flat feet. Need to get the wife a pair as she is presently using my Tourmasters. We carry sneakers if we plan to do a lot of walking and change in/out of them there.

Luvs2Ride
07-21-2021, 07:39 AM
Boots (left over from my 2-wheel days) for almost all rides...

Ride Safe,
Gina J

HayRog
07-21-2021, 10:03 AM
I wore Alpinestars Gortex waterproofs for many years. Excellent boots for 2 wheels. Now I'm on the Spyder I wear Redwing Irish Setters, over the ankle style. Very comfortable boots.

rjinaz86323
07-21-2021, 10:53 AM
I recently bought a pair of these and am very happy with the comfort and the fit.

Carhartt Men's CMX4023 Lightweight Casual Wedge, 4" Soft Moc Toe

RideOn
07-21-2021, 10:56 AM

Here in CA, I have only ever seen flip flops on Japanese sport bikes, mostly in beach cities, usually on a rider wearing shorts and a tank top. Makes me cringe.

I always wear at least ankle high boots. Since, like Pete, I wear either a 14XW or 15W depending on the manufacturer, my choice is generally Timberland or Dunham (New Balance).

Bartender
07-21-2021, 11:11 AM
I have seen several references to the LaMonster shortened brake rod for the F-3 and he shows it on his web site but no similar posting for a shortened brake rod for the 2019 and prior years RT. I have a 2019 RTL - SE6 and would like to lower the brake pedal on it. Unless I lift my foot to apply the brakes, if I try to lift at the ankle and pivot over to the pedal, I get a severe cramp in my leg and ankle. Will the F-3 shortened rod fit on the 2019 RT? I know it won't work on 2020 and newer but I have a 2019 which does have a brake rod. Just don't know if it is compatible with the RT.

vito1943
07-21-2021, 06:28 PM
I wore Alpinestars Gortex waterproofs for many years. Excellent boots for 2 wheels. Now I'm on the Spyder I wear Redwing Irish Setters, over the ankle style. Very comfortable boots.

There must be dozens of version of Redwing Irish Setters. Curious as to which one you wear.

SNOOPY
07-21-2021, 07:49 PM
I’m one of only three on this thread that wears sneakers. And shorts, but that wasn’t part of the question. Lol

grandbug
07-21-2021, 09:46 PM
I’m one of only three on this thread that wears sneakers. And shorts, but that wasn’t part of the question. Lol

You can make it 4 wearing sneakers most of the time.

wmjweber45
07-21-2021, 10:06 PM
yup, I sure do.

Peteoz
07-22-2021, 01:42 AM
Bartender, this is a thread about boots, and it would have a limited audience. I really would suggest you start a new thread with some kind of “shortened brake rod” heading if you want people to see/answer your question ;)

Pete

I have seen several references to the LaMonster shortened brake rod for the F-3 and he shows it on his web site but no similar posting for a shortened brake rod for the 2019 and prior years RT. I have a 2019 RTL - SE6 and would like to lower the brake pedal on it. Unless I lift my foot to apply the brakes, if I try to lift at the ankle and pivot over to the pedal, I get a severe cramp in my leg and ankle. Will the F-3 shortened rod fit on the 2019 RT? I know it won't work on 2020 and newer but I have a 2019 which does have a brake rod. Just don't know if it is compatible with the RT.

Excoastie
07-22-2021, 07:03 AM
When I was on 2 wheels, I ALWAYS wore boots. Now that I'm on 3, not so much. It is actually hit or miss whether I wear my boots. I know I should wear them, but often wear sneakers because it's easy.

I bought a pair of Rocky "Duty" boots (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00131L21Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) a few years ago. I have been please with them, they have an aggressive sole, and they'll protect the ankle if the need arises.

--Exco

HayRog
07-22-2021, 09:57 AM
There must be dozens of version of Redwing Irish Setters. Curious as to which one you wear.

Irish Setter Ravine

Ex-Rocket
07-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Well here we go, another debate whether to wear boots when riding our Spyders. Haven't I seen this before with something to do about tires or oil :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Sorry to disappoint everybody but I wear tennis shoes when I ride my Spyder. Now I want to hear about how dangerous it is to ride without boots. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ARtraveler
07-22-2021, 10:52 AM
I wear ankle high boots as a minimum in warm weather. They're required on military bases. In cold weather I have some insulated boots, also ankle high. My SIDI riding boots aren't as comfortable or easy to get on/off so I haven't been wearing those with the Spyder.

Exactly the same experience with the SIDI boots. Almost 12 years old and still like new.

Big F
07-22-2021, 03:07 PM
Not a silly question... I may be in the miniority on this, but I have been riding Spyders for over 10 years and wear shorts and tennies.. also wear sandals on some occasions. I have owned 4 Spyders and rode many, many thousands of miles and NO issues what I wear..
Ride safe by watching out for the indiots on America's highways..
BIG F

ARtraveler
07-22-2021, 07:06 PM
Well here we go, another debate whether to wear boots when riding our Spyders. Haven't I seen this before with something to do about tires or oil :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Sorry to disappoint everybody but I wear tennis shoes when I ride my Spyder. Now I want to hear about how dangerous it is to ride without boots. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Nah............................................... .let us not go there. :bowdown:

I have no problem even with those who choose to ride bare foot. It's not my feet, it's theirs. :roflblack:

Chasdog
07-22-2021, 09:05 PM
I’m new to the Spyder but have been an atgatt 2 wheel rider for years and even though the spyder seems much safer I wear over the ankle boots when riding as well as motorcycle pants ,jacket and gloves.

shakin_jake
07-23-2021, 02:14 AM
My arthritis makes wearing boots and being able to “hit the brake” difficult, so I wear oxford shoes. For me, that “feels” like the safer option!

~~~You might consider trying a pair of these Bruce-

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50183776237_79d6318bf1_z.jpg

Easy to get your feet into. Doc Marten. I have other doc Marten boots

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50087197333_6b147f9ef0_z.jpg

These were purchased on sale

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50078415951_4e9185fe5d_z.jpg

Here’s another pair, bought at the same time/30 or 40% off sale. BTW, neither of these two pairs are good to wear under wet conditions, yet they’re excellent dry weather boots, and not so much for riding protection

https://live.staticflickr.com/7866/46632151445_e4f7a70daf_z.jpg

I wear DM 3 eyelet shoes too, posed along with one of my other hobbies/obsessions (Seiko dive watches=:-)

cruisinTX
07-23-2021, 04:43 AM
I wear Rocky Delta Force boots as part of my ATGATT. Been using them first getting back into cycling in April of 2000 after a 20 year hiatus. They are a very durable boot with a fair amount of stiffness to protect the ankles and heavy lug sole but still at an affordable price. Easy enough to walk in even for this 67-year old guy with arthritis.

CloverHillCrawler
07-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Steel toe tactical boots while I am out on "long" rides, regular over the ankle boots for commuting.

RapidSpyder
07-23-2021, 11:06 AM

The tan gives it away how I roll, around town anyway.

Northofthesix
07-23-2021, 02:30 PM
I wear lace up boots almost all the time whether I am riding or not; not motorcycle specific but durable and with a couple coats of Mink Oil as waterproof as any of the Tourmaster boots I bought during my Yamaha Venture days. I find the boots (made by Blackwell and/ or Furrow, sold in Canada through Boathouse stores and online) incredibly comfortable and durable, and when you wait for the inevitable clearance sales every fall for summer styles, incredibly inexpensive. Just have to watch to make sure they are leather since they also make what they call "Vegan Leather", but I routinely have found quite serviceable leather boots above the ankle for under $40 Cdn.

thereverend
07-23-2021, 03:08 PM
I wear over the ankle boots all the time when on the spyder.

askitee
07-25-2021, 01:22 AM
yes always

kbrojako
07-25-2021, 10:22 AM
100% of the time. I have 2 pairs of TCX riding boots.