PDA

View Full Version : Goldwing Trike vs Spyder RTS2S

Motogordo
07-16-2021, 08:45 AM
July 16, 2021

I was just reading some of the posts about going from 2 wheels to 3. The last bike I had was a 2005 Honda Goldwing Trike (Lehman). I LOVED that bike. It had all the bells and whistles I could possibly want. It looked brand new and only had 4400 miles. I purchased it from East Coast Cycle Center, Bensalem, Pa. and kept it for about 3 years. Why did I sell it you wonder ? It made a squeaking noise when I would go slow around corners and when going into the garage. I took it to two cycle shops that sold trikes and neither could find the problem. I got frustrated and said goodbye to my Wing.
I then purchased my Sea to Sky a few weeks ago and I must say I LOVE IT. I had no problem adjusting to the foot brake after a few weeks of riding.191140:yes:
I am still cautious on curves. I don't know how much it takes to lift a wheel. I never speed.

K80Shooter
07-16-2021, 08:53 AM
I've never ridden a trike Goldwing but that's one good looking bike.

Mikey
07-16-2021, 09:03 AM
You ride behind one, all I think is it should have a wide load sign on the bumper!!:roflblack:

Motogordo
07-16-2021, 10:27 AM
I agree about the wide load. It was one beautiful bike and I gave it away. I think I sold it for about $15,000. I look at used Goldwing trikes now and they are worth much much more. Oh well.

RICZ
07-16-2021, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the fold. If you don't ride super fast, you will never lift a front wheel. However, you will eventually learn that you can ride a Spyder much more aggressively than you could your GW trike.

ARtraveler
07-16-2021, 11:16 AM
July 16, 2021

I was just reading some of the posts about going from 2 wheels to 3. The last bike I had was a 2005 Honda Goldwing Trike (Lehman). I LOVED that bike. It had all the bells and whistles I could possibly want. It looked brand new and only had 4400 miles. I purchased it from East Coast Cycle Center, Bensalem, Pa. and kept it for about 3 years. Why did I sell it you wonder ? It made a squeaking noise when I would go slow around corners and when going into the garage. I took it to two cycle shops that sold trikes and neither could find the problem. I got frustrated and said goodbye to my Wing.
I then purchased my Sea to Sky a few weeks ago and I must say I LOVE IT. I had no problem adjusting to the foot brake after a few weeks of riding.191140:yes:
I am still cautious on curves. I don't know how much it takes to lift a wheel. I never speed.

Staying within the posted "suggestions" and you will most likely NEVER lift a wheel. 10 - 15 plus is MOSTLY doable. 20 or more is right on the edge.

bigbadbrucie
07-16-2021, 12:45 PM
July 16, 2021

Don’t take me wrong. I love my ‘14 RTS, but I personally think that you had the creme de la creme with that Lehman Trike. They did the “BEST” trike conversions, outselling all other conversters combined. They started out in rural Alberta, Canada (Westlock) and when they sold out years later, the company was moved to the U.S.A. It was a shame when the “shut the doors”.

Motogordo
07-16-2021, 01:36 PM
July 16,2021
I agree with you completely. Even though it was a solid axle, I still enjoyed it. One stinky squeak noise when going into the garage and stopping at a light got me frustrated enough to let it go. When coming into the garage, in order to stop the squeak, I had to gently apply the brake ( either front or back ) to stop the squeak. Go figure.

canamjhb
07-16-2021, 02:38 PM
Your squeak was probably the brakes. I've had 6 Goldwings. One that drove me crazy with a squeak just like you described. My dealer advised me that the brake pads normally ride very close to the rotors and any little dust will cause that squeak. My current California Sidecar trike squeaks like mad every time I push it around the garage. But, I live in the desert where there is a lot of dust all the time..... Jim

vito1943
07-16-2021, 07:27 PM
How different is the ride with two wheels in front rather than two wheels in back? Years ago I had a chance to ride a traditional trike and decidedly did not like it. So when I decided to give up my 2016 Goldwing I went for a new RT and did not even consider a trike conversion. And a Goldwing trike conversion would have cost me substantially more than it did for a new RT plus my Goldwing in trade. I only hope that the reliability of the Spyder comes even close to what I had with the Goldwing.

Navydad
07-17-2021, 10:51 AM
Your squeak was probably the brakes. I've had 6 Goldwings. One that drove me crazy with a squeak just like you described. My dealer advised me that the brake pads normally ride very close to the rotors and any little dust will cause that squeak. My current California Sidecar trike squeaks like mad every time I push it around the garage. But, I live in the desert where there is a lot of dust all the time..... Jim

:agree: Aggravating, but common.