PDA

View Full Version : BRAND NEW Tire

JayBros
07-13-2021, 11:43 AM
FWIW, I received brand new General Altimax RT 43 = 215/60R15 94T tire from Amazon today, ordered 7/11. When I checked the DOT mfg date it read "2121"; you can't get 'em much newer than that. Cost was $95.98 including NC and Mecklenburg County sales tax. Wally World didn't have local pick up of tire and price online was $115 and change with tax and earliest delivery 7/20. I'll have several hundred miles on the new sneaker by then.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-13-2021, 01:49 PM
FWIW, I received brand new General Altimax RT 43 = 215/60R15 94T tire from Amazon today, ordered 7/11. When I checked the DOT mfg date it read "2121"; you can't get 'em much newer than that. Cost was $95.98 including NC and Mecklenburg County sales tax. Wally World didn't have local pick up of tire and price online was $115 and change with tax and earliest delivery 7/20. I'll have several hundred miles on the new sneaker by then.

Good for you .... I've been recommending that tire for about 6 yrs. ..... Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
07-13-2021, 02:12 PM
That's the tire I ran on my 2014 RTL. (Based upon Mikes' recommendation) I was very happy with it. It had over 15K miles when I sold the bike and it had no signs of needing replacement. My PSI was 18#s..... Jim

JayBros
07-13-2021, 02:48 PM
It's my third Altimax and I have been very satisfied with them.

Woodaddict
07-13-2021, 03:51 PM
i just ordered the same tire from Amazon a month ago too. got just over 22,000 miles. my 2nd one now

JayBros
07-13-2021, 05:24 PM
I think 20-22K miles is a good planning figure for that tire and the ultimate discriminator is how much high speed touring one does IMO. I elected to change my first tire early at 19.7K because T was going on a 5K+ tour and didn't want to endure the hassle of changing one out on the far side of beyond at a dealership I knew nothing about. That tire had a good 2K+ left on it. The one I'm replacing now has just shy of 18K on it including the long tour but the "Replace Tire" warning is showing on one of the indicator alerts and I have only 90 mi to the dealership. I've also been playing with tire pressure on the second one and will start the new sneaker at 18 psi. Hope that pressure will spread the load out some more totally across the tire and allow me to get max life out of it.

Woodaddict
07-13-2021, 05:43 PM
even with that GOOD tire,,,,, almost to wear bars......started to have severe hydroplaning twice. if i didn't have some off road experience and dirt bike racing, i wouldn't have noticed it start to wander bad on the rear. side to fish tail, i was able to keep it corrected and slow down, but 2nd time it happened that night i ordered new one. the spyder is light in back tire riding solo. 1st time i was on secondary road, thought i was in the "were all wheels run depression". 2nd time was on 4 lane interstate. rain was heavy enough for cars to have there 4 way flashers on, i was doing 45mph in 1st lane

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-13-2021, 06:07 PM
even with that GOOD tire,,,,, almost to wear bars......started to have severe hydroplaning twice. if i didn't have some off road experience and dirt bike racing, i wouldn't have noticed it start to wander bad on the rear. side to fish tail, i was able to keep it corrected and slow down, but 2nd time it happened that night i ordered new one. the spyder is light in back tire riding solo. 1st time i was on secondary road, thought i was in the "were all wheels run depression". 2nd time was on 4 lane interstate. rain was heavy enough for cars to have there 4 way flashers on, i was doing 45mph in 1st lane

I'd like to give a little in-sight to the " Hydroplaning " thing .... I have been given Professional Training on this topic, and the first thing I was told was - Every tire is capable of " Hydro-planing " even the Race cars at LeMans that cost about $ 3,000.00 Each .... the second thing was - the petro-chemicals that are on the road surface ( and they vary from spot to spot ) are usually what cause the " Hyfro-planing ". It's more than just the amount of Water and the Tread depth involved. I always recommend getting the best WET road tire you can .... but don't rely on that alone ... common sense should be your guide ./.... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-13-2021, 06:10 PM
I think 20-22K miles is a good planning figure for that tire and the ultimate discriminator is how much high speed touring one does IMO. I elected to change my first tire early at 19.7K because T was going on a 5K+ tour and didn't want to endure the hassle of changing one out on the far side of beyond at a dealership I knew nothing about. That tire had a good 2K+ left on it. The one I'm replacing now has just shy of 18K on it including the long tour but the "Replace Tire" warning is showing on one of the indicator alerts and I have only 90 mi to the dealership. I've also been playing with tire pressure on the second one and will start the new sneaker at 18 psi. Hope that pressure will spread the load out some more totally across the tire and allow me to get max life out of it.

Those " tread depth warnings " are like the yellow speed signs ..... they are advisements .... I go by what the Depth actually measures .... That way there are NO lawyers involved :roflblack::roflblack:..... Mike :thumbup:

Rick28078
07-14-2021, 09:38 PM
Where are you getting yours installed? I’m in Huntersville and will be replacing my tire soon.

Briorick
07-14-2021, 09:50 PM
Those " tread depth warnings " are like the yellow speed signs ..... they are advisements .... I go by what the Depth actually measures .... That way there are NO lawyers involved :roflblack::roflblack:..... Mike :thumbup:

Hey Mike, what is the actual recommended depth measurement for replacing the rear tire? I bought a new rear tire waiting to be changed out, but not down to tread indicators yet, but pretty close. I was thinking of replacing it asap, but if I can wait til riding season here is over I will. TIA.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-14-2021, 10:27 PM
Hey Mike, what is the actual recommended depth measurement for replacing the rear tire? I bought a new rear tire waiting to be changed out, but not down to tread indicators yet, but pretty close. I was thinking of replacing it asap, but if I can wait til riding season here is over I will. TIA.

.... I have Altimax tires on the front of my RT .... The re-place tire warning appeared a couple thousand miles ago .... I just went out and measured them .... the " WEAR " depth indicators are 1/32 nd. " Below " actual tread depth now ... I still have 4/32 nds of tread depth ....Your DRY road traction won't really be affected .... but I would slow down it Rains heavily ..... Mike :thumbup:

Briorick
07-14-2021, 10:56 PM
.... I have Altimax tires on the front of my RT .... The re-place tire warning appeared a couple thousand miles ago .... I just went out and measured them .... the " WEAR " depth indicators are 1/32 nd. " Below " actual tread depth now ... I still have 4/32 nds of tread depth ....Your DRY road traction won't really be affected .... but I would slow down it Rains heavily ..... Mike :thumbup:

Thanks, Mike! I went out and checked as well. I am sitting right at 4/32 nds tread depth.
I'll keep 'em rolling for a few hundred more glorious miles! :2thumbs: Thanks again.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-15-2021, 01:15 AM
Thanks, Mike! I went out and checked as well. I am sitting right at 4/32 nds tread depth.
I'll keep 'em rolling for a few hundred more glorious miles! :2thumbs: Thanks again.

:roflblack: .......I'm thinking 2 to 3000 mi........... even 1/32 nd will take awhile to wear down .... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

JayBros
07-15-2021, 05:56 AM
Where are you getting yours installed? I’m in Huntersville and will be replacing my tire soon.

I use Honda, Can-Am of Winston-Salem; that's where I bought it and the Spyder Tech, Steve Lewis, does a good job and, most important, at each tire replacement he checks the belt tension and alignment with a Gates meter. I don't know if Lake Norman Powersports will install car tires.

Briorick
07-15-2021, 08:24 AM
:roflblack: .......I'm thinking 2 to 3000 mi........... even 1/32 nd will take awhile to wear down .... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

Perfect! I like those numbers better. :ohyea:
A great way to finish out this :riding: season and start next season with all new shoes! :thumbup:

Now that I've got a couple thousand riding miles under my belt, I am planning a couple longer distance trips next year. Love my :f_spider:

Deanna777
07-15-2021, 11:13 AM
I am on my 2nd Altimax RT43 on the rear. Tire size 215/60R15. The mileage on the spyder was 24,553 when the 2nd Altimax RT 43 tire was installed.

I am happy with the General Altimax RT 43 tire.

Deanna

Woodaddict
07-15-2021, 02:21 PM

if you have the availability to take off rear tire, i took it to discount tire for tire change. they did it for free, since it was their first experience with spyder. they can't balance it, most time rear tire doesn't need balance. but i have a static wheel balancer that i checked it. needed 2 stick on weights

you need a 36 mm socket and torgue wrench to goto 166 ft lbs. if you have auto rear level, have to disconnect ride hgt bar. take out rear shock bolt, raise up enough to walk off belt.

Rick28078
07-15-2021, 11:20 PM
I use Honda, Can-Am of Winston-Salem; that's where I bought it and the Spyder Tech, Steve Lewis, does a good job and, most important, at each tire replacement he checks the belt tension and alignment with a Gates meter. I don't know if Lake Norman Powersports will install car tires.

Thanks. I called LKNP and they are backed up 4 weeks. Want me to leave it with them.

irvin48
07-17-2021, 09:15 AM
over 22,000 on my altimax and measuring 6/32 yet ! all 2 up riding , but not really
agressive. no"wear" near replacement time.