PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Power Steering problem

xpeschon
09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
OK here you go,, first of all I had the up-date done when I first got notified, I guess about 6 weeks ago, maybe a bit longer but needless to say I did have the update done right away.. I noticed a slight differance in the Power Steering however ( to the good ),,, Friday I took the spyder to work and noticed on the way home that it felt to me like the wind was blowing side to side, I also noticed that the trees where NOT moving at the top so it appears there was no wind out but if felt as though it was windy as all get out,,, it felt really strange to me,, Then I went out of town and got back today and all I could think about is how the spyder handled on Friday.. I took it out for a 12-14 mile ride just a few minutes ago and noticed the same thing, again there is NO wind here today... I filled it up with gas and when I started it I lost my Power Steering for a moment then it kicked in,, this has NEVER happened to me before so I am SURE there is something going on there,, I beleive I am having this Intermittent Power Steering issuie going on and that kind of explains the feeling like your driving in wind experience that I have had... Or at least I'm pretty sure its related anyway.. The dealer is closed today but you can bet I'll be on the horn tomorrow but just wanted to post to see if anyone has had anything like this go on with there machine? Actually it felt has though I LOST power steering twice, for sure one time and the second one is questionable but I'm thinking possible twice I lost it for a minute.. I'll keep you posted.. Any feedback you all want to share?
Thanks in advance folks.
Joe

BumbleBee
09-14-2009, 06:25 PM
First of all welcome , about time we hear from you again!
Sorry to hear about your spyder. I hope it's nothing serious :pray:
Let us know!!!

RTGENE
09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
OH NO JOE

Same thing happened to me ------ I took it to the dealer and he said the front right tire was flat.
You may want to check on that before you go to the dealer.
smile
It can be a lose fuse or relay.
If Lamonster starts asking questions-----Be afraid be very afraid--------he is the only Doctor that takes on impossible cases.

bjt
09-14-2009, 06:51 PM
When my steering went out, it was the DPS unit. Mine worked one day then didn't work that night on the way home from work. It worked the next morning for about 10 minutes, then never worked again. However, it never did feel like I was riding in heavy winds. :dontknow: It took my dealer about a week to get the replacement in and change it out.

dltang
09-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Way back before there was an update, I was one of a few that had similar problems and they replaced my Gear Position Sensor and that fixed the issue.

Neez
09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
During the recall download, they had trouble clearing the Check DPS message. Ten days in the shop. A week or so after the download was supposedly complete, I was turning at an intersection, the handlebars gave a brief twitch, and the message came up and did not go away that day. Phoned the dealer, he phoned BRP, they sent out a new powersteering unit. While I was waitng for it to arrive ( 2 weeks), the problem disappeared. They still intend to install it and I take it in tomorrow. Never had the wind sensation, though.

tatt2r
09-14-2009, 07:36 PM
mine quit again worked for a bit after update then stopped .... i'm bringing it in for a check but kind of like no power steering my girl said i look drunk driving it when it worked....:D

spyderflyer
09-14-2009, 08:21 PM
I just return on a long ride. When a long ride from Barstow, Ca to Seattle Wa to Provo UT and return Bartow. Let the Spyder set for 5 day and wash it and DPS fail this is second time it has fail once before the upgrade and now after. well be takening it the shop soon :mad:

Batmobile
09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
I had to have my DPS unit replaced after the download also.:dontknow: It took about a week to get it in as others have stated. Make sure if they go this route, after they reinstall the download again, they recalibrate everything and get all the fault codes removed correctly. If not, there is a good chance it will continue to act up with the new unit and you can get the surging.:yikes: Ask me how I found this out.:gaah:
Now all is better.:2thumbs:

Blinc
09-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I actually started getting the check DPS along with the check engine light and loss of power steering prior to the update. Dealer said the update would fix it, and of course it did not and has run much worse since the update along with the sputtering. Took it back to the dealer and they had it in the shop for about a week while BRP sent a couple of parts and some other software fix. Funny thing was, the day it was "fixed" the mechanic called me to come pick up the spyder and said it was running perfect, but when I got there and they pulled the bike around, the mechanic came back inside where I was waiting and said...man, it just started doing it again!
At least it happend while it was there. Apparently this is a big issue as the DPS replacment is a MONTH out now according to BRP as they are on back order. So, unfortunetly I will miss the Smokies event due to waiting for this part since I have no power steering and that really sucks.

Mo Lee
09-15-2009, 04:16 AM
Joe keep me posted, I would check all tire pressures and relays first thing.

PS you missed a Spyder gathering Sunday afternoon.

xpeschon
09-15-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks for all the good info folks.. I already checked the tire pressure and it is good,, I have always ran 20 psi in the front tires and that is what I currently have. Has for the fuzes, well I just checked them and it was seated good and the fuze was good, I did however change it out though just to make sure... I checked all the fuzes by the way and the only loose one was the main fuze,, it was NOT seated in all the way so this could possible be my problem right? Maybe? I can't ride it today to work but I plan on taking a spin with it tonight when I get home, maybe I'll come by your house Lee and we can put the trunk spring in, will this work for you? Still plan on calling the dealer today as well.. Oh and speaking of calling, I did recieve the call from BRP last night about my purchase, I of course gave the spyder good result's with the exception about the fires, she told me that a supervisor will be contacting me in the next couple days, we'll see.. I actually got on to them pretty good about this, so lets see if I get the supervisor's call.. Oh and by the way, since my DPS was acting up a bit I did discuss this with her as well but again, the person I talked to is just the survey gal... I'm thinking I will hammer these two topic's a bit heaver when the supervisor calls.. I'm waiting...
Joe

Lamonster
09-15-2009, 06:14 AM
I had this very same issue on the RT and for some reason it fixed itself. nojoke

BumbleBee
09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted!

MoLee's trunk popper looks and works great. :thumbup: It worked better then mine. Mine was sticking really bad, he fixed mine a few days ago,
Thanks to MoLee, you are a genius :bowdown:
Works like a charm now:ohyea:

BeRight
09-15-2009, 08:28 AM
I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted!

MoLee's trunk popper looks and works great. :thumbup: It worked better then mine. Mine was sticking really bad, he fixed mine a few days ago,
Thanks to MoLee, you are a genius :bowdown:
Works like a charm now:ohyea:
I'd greatly appreciate a picture of your "MoLee" trunk popper, and details you would care to share.

Recluze
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Tighten the ground wires, replace the gear position sensor, replace the Power Steering unit. Repeat until satisfied. It will eventually get rid of the problem that you are reporting but there is another.

If any of this power steering nonsense has transferred to the new RT then I am out. Fun is fun but this problem can kill you.

Mo Lee
09-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I'd greatly appreciate a picture of your "MoLee" trunk popper, and details you would care to share.

I just shaped a piece of flat metal to fit the hole in the trunk lid tightly drilled a hole in it large enough to go around the nut holding the guide pin. Found a spring a little larger than the guide pin and tack welded the spring to the flat metal. The trick to making it work smooth is to cut the length of the spring to about 1/4 to 3/8 inch longer than the latch pin. Ours will still latch by dropping the lid from 8-10 inches and have limited resistance when turning the key. Here is a picture of them before installing them and maybe if you want I will take a picture of one installed later.

tmpope3
09-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Took my Spyder in for upgrade on Power Steering, Done Power Steering Upgrade two weeks waiting on it, started home and noticed it was shimming between 59 and 60 mph. Did not have any shimming when I took it in for upgrade, after 10 weeks of being in shop and repairing everything on frontend they called again to pick it up and 10 miles from shop I called the shop back told them I still had same problem between 59 and 63mph and I still have the shimming problem. Trying to get in touch with BRP Rep is a joke. They put three sets of tires on my bike and rims, all new steering, all new axle bearings in front, all new rotars, all new tie rod ends even a new drive belt and checked rear wheel bearings and still have the shimming. My bike has been in shop a total of 3 months total. Missed a lot of good riding this summer. I like the bike but would like to have some satisfaction of knowing that it is fixed and safe to ride. This all started from power steering recall, had know front end shimming before this. Has any body else had this sort of problem. At this point I am not sure I would purchase another till their technology improves. Unhappy Spyder rider.

spyryder
09-15-2009, 07:57 PM
What's "shimming"??? Vibration? Maybe your tires need balancing?:dontknow:

xpeschon
09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
First of all MoLee installed the trunk spring on my spyder tonight, folks it really works GREAT thats for sure.. I love it... Well I managed to go for a small ride tonight after work and noticed the same thing... Earlier today I called the dealer and he told me to bring it in and they would hook it up to BUDS and run some test on it so I am prepared to load it on the trailer in the morning and trasport it that way.. It's somewhat of a pain in the butt cause the dealer is about 40 minutes away but I can live with that I guess.. I will keep you posted on there findings if any... Still waiting for the supervisor to call from BRP as well.. Hopefully tonight..

Joe

C3517C
09-16-2009, 01:22 AM
I didn't realize this problem was as wide spread as it apparently is, but I got a real dose of reality today. I've had the upgrades and my tires are perfectly inflated. I was riding a crowded highway at about 65 MPH, going into a turn. As I tried to turn the bike I really had to muscle it, and started to drift out of my lane. As I was cranking the handler bars hard,the power steering kicked in hard and fast. I'm not sure how I kept it on the road, but it was about as close to a real bad ending as you can get. Only a few miles later, it happened again. I managed to get it to dealer and they are going to try a few of the things the others have mentioned. They have been good about it so I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. It seems that maybe Can Am has not reacted to this problem with the sense of urgency one would expect. Thanks to all of you who have have contributed to getting this straightened out.

ataDude
09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Sounds like this:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7831

I didn't realize this problem was as wide spread as it apparently is, but I got a real dose of reality today. I've had the upgrades and my tires are perfectly inflated. I was riding a crowded highway at about 65 MPH, going into a turn. As I tried to turn the bike I really had to muscle it, and started to drift out of my lane. As I was cranking the handler bars hard,the power steering kicked in hard and fast. I'm not sure how I kept it on the road, but it was about as close to a real bad ending as you can get. Only a few miles later, it happened again. I managed to get it to dealer and they are going to try a few of the things the others have mentioned. They have been good about it so I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. It seems that maybe Can Am has not reacted to this problem with the sense of urgency one would expect. Thanks to all of you who have have contributed to getting this straightened out.

xpeschon
09-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok I turned in the Spyder at Lunch time today,, Actually it took a little longer then the normal Lunch hours but my boss gave me the green light so I went and dropped it off... One of the guys took it for a test ride right after I arrived and he said that there is something going on there thats not normal and will get to it in a couple days, so therefore I (Like always) will keep you posted but for right now its at the dealer...
Joe

xpeschon
09-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Up-Date: I got the old famous call yesturday from the dealer,, it went something like this

" I just want to keep you posted on your spyder,, we contacted BRP and they said that you are not the only one having the problem and that they would get back with them (the dealer) on Monday or Tuesday with a fix"

Sounds as though we have all heard this statement before,,, I'm just waiting now while the spyder sit's up there.. I do have another bike though so it's not all bad right?

Joe

BumbleBee
09-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Up-Date: I got the old famous call yesturday from the dealer,, it went something like this

" I just want to keep you posted on your spyder,, we contacted BRP and they said that you are not the only one having the problem and that they would get back with them (the dealer) on Monday or Tuesday with a fix"

Sounds as though we have all heard this statement before,,, I'm just waiting now while the spyder sit's up there.. I do have another bike though so it's not all bad right?

Joe

But, it's not a spyder!!! Time to get a second one :f_spider:

xpeschon
09-19-2009, 07:26 AM
You are correct,, its a 1998 Honda Aero 1,100 that has never been in the shop, Well almost never been in the shop, I'm not set up for tire replacement so it has been in a few times to get rubber put on it,,,, old faithful as I call it,,, Never has let me down yet...

Joe

Mo Lee
09-19-2009, 10:56 AM
You are correct,, its a 1998 Honda Aero 1,100 that has never been in the shop, Well almost never been in the shop, I'm not set up for tire replacement so it has been in a few times to get rubber put on it,,,, old faithful as I call it,,, Never has let me down yet...

Joe

Thats why I have two Honda's just in case one needs rubber (as in last week).

xpeschon
09-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Roger that.. Hey Lee was you at Skyline about 1:30 today with your Valk? I was on I-44 headed to the Lake... I thought I saw you in front of the store talking with someone while you where sitting on the Valk.. Just thought I'd ask..
Joe

Mo Lee
09-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Roger that.. Hey Lee was you at Skyline about 1:30 today with your Valk? I was on I-44 headed to the Lake... I thought I saw you in front of the store talking with someone while you where sitting on the Valk.. Just thought I'd ask..
Joe
Yea that was me I went for a road test (speedo) and saw a Valk there on a trailer. Had to stop and let them know Valkyries aren't supposed to be on trailers and met a new owner trying to get the carbs cleaned on one that has been sitting too long.

Extracool
09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Had the same problem after the power steering update and coil ground up- date. The power steering goes dead in a turn, you muscle the turn and all of a sudden the power steering kicks back in, you talk about oversteer,you are lucky to get control without flipping the spyder, happened 3 times in 45 miles. Took spyder to East Tennessee Powersports and they reloaded program and computer says replace the powersteering pump which they did. BRP said that this was just effecting the 2008's I was told that the replacement unit looks just like the original but that the internal parts are 2009. Rode a lot today no problem and a noticeable less effort a low speeds to turn, more like powersteering is supposed to be.:2thumbs:

Extracool
09-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Unusual experience with dealer repairing my powersteering unit, East Tennessee Powersports ordered my powersteering unit the day after I took it in for repairs and only a day delay because they were open on a Holiday and BRP was not. They tracked the powersteering unit to let me know when it crossed the Canada ck point and kept track of it and the day before it was supposed to arrive, tore my spyder down and had it ready for the new part when it came in, had it ready for me the next morning,I have never had that kind of service before, I could get used to this.:clap:

xpeschon
09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Get this,, I got the call from the dealer today and here is what he told me,, First of all I really have a hard time believing this but here it is:: They said they sent a FILE to BRP,, ( according to them it was a file from the computer system on my spyder),,, BRP told them that there BUDS system can only do so much and that they may need to dispatch a person to the dealership from BRP (yah thats right CANADA) and have them hook up there computer cause it can do a whole lot more then just the average dealership computer!!! Now should I beleive this or not? I really have a hard, infact a really hard time with this,, I vented my fustration a bit and simply told them that I am in no hurry for the spyder however, once I do get it back I DO NOT want to keep bringing it back and forth for the same issuie.. Now would you beleive this statement? He told me also that if they decide they are going to do this he is not sure when it will happen... Hopefully next week.. I will be out of town from the 28th till the 2nd of Oct and when I get back I'm gonna want to pick it up for sure... Lets just see what the next couple of days bring along.. More to follow but for now,,, What are your thoughts peoples?

Joe

NancysToy
09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Get this,, I got the call from the dealer today and here is what he told me,, First of all I really have a hard time believing this but here it is:: They said they sent a FILE to BRP,, ( according to them it was a file from the computer system on my spyder),,, BRP told them that there BUDS system can only do so much and that they may need to dispatch a person to the dealership from BRP (yah thats right CANADA) and have them hook up there computer cause it can do a whole lot more then just the average dealership computer!!! Now should I beleive this or not? I really have a hard, infact a really hard time with this,, I vented my fustration a bit and simply told them that I am in no hurry for the spyder however, once I do get it back I DO NOT want to keep bringing it back and forth for the same issuie.. Now would you beleive this statement? He told me also that if they decide they are going to do this he is not sure when it will happen... Hopefully next week.. I will be out of town from the 28th till the 2nd of Oct and when I get back I'm gonna want to pick it up for sure... Lets just see what the next couple of days bring along.. More to follow but for now,,, What are your thoughts peoples?

Joe
What's not to believe? I sure would quibble about getting a factory tech to look at my Spyder. You want it right, so can you think of a better way? I'm sure there are things the factory can do that dealers can't. They disabled the nanny for track testing, and shot videos to show the difference. They also have access to the fuel mapping and other parameters that dealers do not. What do you have to lose? Go for it!

Extracool
09-23-2009, 09:39 PM
I had the new power steering unit and the BUDS program downloaded, lasted a day and the transmission would not downshift on hills, like heading up a long hill with a straight drive and no downshifting,it boggs down unless you downshift. On a short steep s curve that we usually pull in 3rd with 2 up, engine would almost die in 1st, no pwr, headed back to dealer, 10 mins from dealer ,the DPS started scrolling across the screen, dealer had 4 wheeler in the bay and pulled out and put our spyder in and checked with BUDS,it needed loading again, everything back to normal for the time being,mechanic said that if it happened again, would probably have to replace the DPS sensor.:chat:.We were in and out in 20 minutes.Mechanic even took throttle appart and laid the WD40 to the cables, much smoother and quicker responce,thanks Jason.

Mo Lee
09-24-2009, 04:17 AM

Joe

Based on what you were told and how long others have had to go without their Spyders it sounds like BRP should provide loaner Spyders to the dealers.

xpeschon
09-24-2009, 05:28 AM
NancyToys--- Yah I hear and I do hope what he says is true but again I just have a hard time beleiving that BRP would send a rep. from all the way from Cananda just to take a look at what appears to me is a simple fix, I'll keep my fingers crossed.. Now if they do--Well I guess I would be impressed with there concern of owners Spyders,, time will tell for sure..

LEE--I'm with you on this one,, I don't see that happening but maybe if I speak with Lynn he maybe able to do something for me.. I did state to them that I am in no hurry but again, I don't want it to be in the shop for months, what I meant is basically I'd like to have it fixed before the 2nd of October when I get back.. Hell I may just cruise up there on Saturday and speak with them who knows..

Extracool-- I wish we all had dealerships like the one you are speaking of, it seems as though you have really GREAT luck with these people..

Thanks to all and I will keep you posted..
Joe

Smylinacha
09-24-2009, 10:01 PM
I had a weird steering issue that happened twice in 2 days - in TN now and they both happened when I was going around 40 mph and was taking curve that went to the right. It sort of got "stuck" there and I had to push it back to center. Only happened twice. But the BRP guy at Lamont's looked at it and said there was a steering issue and I got some update from him with his laptop so hopefully it won't happen again - it sort of scared me. Was cool he was there and offered to look at it!:2thumbs:

xpeschon
10-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Day 23 and no spyder yet.. Heres the deal.. The BRP rep showed up from Canada but was 7 days late, yeap thats right the spyder sat there for a week not being touched.. He showed up Monday evening and went for a test ride with my spyder on Tuesday, infact when the Service guy called me he stated that he ( BRP person) had been on it all day, which I wasn't to excited about however, according to the Service guy he (again the BRP guy) said the power steering acted just perfect and that it never once lost power steering, Well they still decided to install the new DPS unit anyway in the hopes that this would satisfy me I guess and told me that it would be ready today.. Well come to find out that the BRP rep departed the dealership early thusmorning to travel to Wisconson,, About 4:00 I got yet another phone call from the Service guys say that the installation of the DPS did not go well and that there is NO POWER steering at all and that its running like **** and there is NO WAY it will be ready today and that they have already the BRP guy and informed him----He said that he would be in contact with them again tomorrow to try and fix the issuie... The bottom line is simple-----------I have lost my confidence in the dealership and the Spyder is WORSE---WAY WORSE then it was when it was first brought in 23 days ago......... I plan on JUMPING on the desk tomorrow afternoon cause I took a 1/2 day off in order to drive the 50 miles to check it out a bit closer and also to dis-cuss a loaner---Heres the deal I told him yesturday I needed it back by Friday morning cause I plan on traveling to Minnesota over the long week-end, come hell or high water I am going to do the best to get a loaner out of them for my trip..... I may not get one but I will at least try and if I get turned down thats alright I will then know where we both stand in this whole ordeal..
Any thoughts on this one folks? I think I may need a sanity check from you all..
Thanks in advance.
Joe

xpeschon
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I got the Spyder back yesturday.. I have not yet Test Drove it to see how the Power Steering is going to act but I do plan on going on a couple hundred mile run on Sunday,, that is if the weather holds up.. I will keep you posted

Joe

Mo Lee
10-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Glad you got it back, hope it drives perfect and you now get many trouble free miles.

CaptRalph
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Took my Spyder in for upgrade on Power Steering, Done Power Steering Upgrade two weeks waiting on it, started home and noticed it was shimming between 59 and 60 mph. Did not have any shimming when I took it in for upgrade, after 10 weeks of being in shop and repairing everything on frontend they called again to pick it up and 10 miles from shop I called the shop back told them I still had same problem between 59 and 63mph and I still have the shimming problem. Trying to get in touch with BRP Rep is a joke. They put three sets of tires on my bike and rims, all new steering, all new axle bearings in front, all new rotars, all new tie rod ends even a new drive belt and checked rear wheel bearings and still have the shimming. My bike has been in shop a total of 3 months total. Missed a lot of good riding this summer. I like the bike but would like to have some satisfaction of knowing that it is fixed and safe to ride. This all started from power steering recall, had know front end shimming before this. Has any body else had this sort of problem. At this point I am not sure I would purchase another till their technology improves. Unhappy Spyder rider.

I looked in here to see if anyone had experienced shimming problems at 60 MPH, and lo & Behold, there it is. We cheked for anything loose and everything appears tight, but I have a really bad vibration (shimming!!!) right around 60 mph, ONLY!!! Above 65 or so is fine and below 55 or so is fine. I had to have the upgrade done since my steering locked up a couple of times. It cured the locking up, but I've had nothing but problems since. First, it was riding like crap, sometimes coughing and sputtering like crazy so bad I thought the engine would blow up or something!

I did the canisterectomy and it cured the sputtering, hesitation & coughing for the most part. I still don't think is running perfect but much, much better than after the software upgrade.

Now this damn shimming has been getting worse and it looks like its also related to the darned software. It's actually pretty scary, you can tell that it's NOT a balancing problem because its not only one tire, but the entire front end shaking violently!!!

I'm also experiencing "Check Engine" messages when I start up cold. Also sometimes the "oil" red indicator stays on when the engine is running. There is a plenty of oil in the reservoir. If one of these indicators stay on after I start the bike, I have to turn it off, remove the key, then restart it. It has cleared it every time so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

2 hours away from the dealer and very little faith in their abilities keeps me from running back to them with all these problems. I have two other dealers closer (1 hr and the other 1-1/2 hrs, but they are actually worse than the one in Tampa).

All these issues make it hard to STAY a HAPPY OWNER. I would be much happier if my :spyder: was not giving me all these problems...:gaah:

NancysToy
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
I looked in here to see if anyone had experienced shimming problems at 60 MPH, and lo & Behold, there it is. We cheked for anything loose and everything appears tight, but I have a really bad vibration (shimming!!!) right around 60 mph, ONLY!!! Above 65 or so is fine and below 55 or so is fine. I had to have the upgrade done since my steering locked up a couple of times. It cured the locking up, but I've had nothing but problems since. First, it was riding like crap, sometimes coughing and sputtering like crazy so bad I thought the engine would blow up or something!

I did the canisterectomy and it cured the sputtering, hesitation & coughing for the most part. I still don't think is running perfect but much, much better than after the software upgrade.

Now this damn shimming has been getting worse and it looks like its also related to the darned software. It's actually pretty scary, you can tell that it's NOT a balancing problem because its not only one tire, but the entire front end shaking violently!!!

I'm also experiencing "Check Engine" messages when I start up cold. Also sometimes the "oil" red indicator stays on when the engine is running. There is a plenty of oil in the reservoir. If one of these indicators stay on after I start the bike, I have to turn it off, remove the key, then restart it. It has cleared it every time so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

2 hours away from the dealer and very little faith in their abilities keeps me from running back to them with all these problems. I have two other dealers closer (1 hr and the other 1-1/2 hrs, but they are actually worse than the one in Tampa).

All these issues make it hard to STAY a HAPPY OWNER. I would be much happier if my :spyder: was not giving me all these problems...:gaah:
So sorry that you are still having problems, and that you can't seem to find a competent dealer. These are certainly problems that will need a dealer to repair. First the shimmy. It is not absolutely impossible, but it is highly unlikely that the shimmying is caused by a software problem, or even a bad DPS unit or steering sensor. I'd still make a bet that you have seriously worn suspension parts, and maybe an alignment problem to boot. Most commonly reported problems are worn tie-rod ends, worn shock bushings (totally gone), bad ball joints, or worn A-frame ends. These are not easy to find, and can be readily missed on casual inspection.

As to the rough running, you need the second (ECM) update. This problem after the steering update is well known and all too common. The second update seems to have cured it successfully. As to the check engine code. the dealer can hook to BUDS and see the historic codes, as well as any current codes. There are a number of possible causes. The oil pressure light is a problem that needs immediate attention, also by a dealer. It is probably a bad oil pressure sensor, but only the dealer can determine that. If it is a marginal oil pump, ignoring it can destroy the engine.

It is a pain, but this is what I would do. First, I would report the problem, and what the dealers have done so far to Carlo via the BRP support line. Email is usually better than by phone. Carlo will usually get back to you. Then, after Carlo contacts you, and you both agree on a dealer, take your Spyder there and leave it. Phone them every day or two to get an update on the status. Speak to the technician instead of the service writer if you can. I know that's a pain, but it will be necessary. When you get it back, insist on a test ride before you sign off on the service. If the problems remain, leave the Spyder and call Carlo again. Any pain and agony you go through will be worth the effort. Even if you decide to sell the Spyder and move on, it will need to be mechanically sound. Also, speak to the owner of the dealership about the problem and your lack of confidence in their service department. This is especially helpful if you purchased the Spyder there. Doesn't always help, but sure can't hurt. Finally, look into the lemon laws in your state and let your dealer know that you are doing so. Our state does not cover motorcycles, but many do. The thought of possible legal action can be a good motivator, though.

Best of luck!

CaptRalph
10-11-2009, 07:10 PM
So sorry that you are still having problems, and that you can't seem to find a competent dealer. These are certainly problems that will need a dealer to repair. First the shimmy. It is not absolutely impossible, but it is highly unlikely that the shimmying is caused by a software problem, or even a bad DPS unit or steering sensor. I'd still make a bet that you have seriously worn suspension parts, and maybe an alignment problem to boot. Most commonly reported problems are worn tie-rod ends, worn shock bushings (totally gone), bad ball joints, or worn A-frame ends. These are not easy to find, and can be readily missed on casual inspection.

As to the rough running, you need the second (ECM) update. This problem after the steering update is well known and all too common. The second update seems to have cured it successfully. As to the check engine code. the dealer can hook to BUDS and see the historic codes, as well as any current codes. There are a number of possible causes. The oil pressure light is a problem that needs immediate attention, also by a dealer. It is probably a bad oil pressure sensor, but only the dealer can determine that. If it is a marginal oil pump, ignoring it can destroy the engine.

It is a pain, but this is what I would do. First, I would report the problem, and what the dealers have done so far to Carlo via the BRP support line. Email is usually better than by phone. Carlo will usually get back to you. Then, after Carlo contacts you, and you both agree on a dealer, take your Spyder there and leave it. Phone them every day or two to get an update on the status. Speak to the technician instead of the service writer if you can. I know that's a pain, but it will be necessary. When you get it back, insist on a test ride before you sign off on the service. If the problems remain, leave the Spyder and call Carlo again. Any pain and agony you go through will be worth the effort. Even if you decide to sell the Spyder and move on, it will need to be mechanically sound. Also, speak to the owner of the dealership about the problem and your lack of confidence in their service department. This is especially helpful if you purchased the Spyder there. Doesn't always help, but sure can't hurt. Finally, look into the lemon laws in your state and let your dealer know that you are doing so. Our state does not cover motorcycles, but many do. The thought of possible legal action can be a good motivator, though.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips Scotty, I'll call the Dealer tomorrow and hold my breath. They "aligned" my Spyder about 1,000 miles ago (I had to pay or it, which I thought it was BS since it takes a few thousand miles to show the wear on the tire) because it was eating a front tire on the inside. They also did the dreaded 1st upgrade, I mean downgrade, which started all the problems. By the way, I'm not selling my bike I'm a happy owner, I'm just a lot less happier than I feel I could be. I wish you luck on the RT. Personally, I'll wait a couple years to let you guys (instead of BRP, cause we all know how slooow they react) work out the slew of problems that are sure to follow...