PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS crashed

wyliec
09-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Quick question for the electronic experts.

I was in a light rain this weekend for about an hour. Then, after it stopped raining for about an hour the gps touch panel quick working properly. I'm wondering if it was a coincidence and it was maybe due to vibration over the past couple of months? I have a streetpilot c530 (not waterproof), which is a gps normally used in a car.

Bersquack
09-14-2009, 06:10 AM
I don't think that model is waterproof. Vribrations could also be for something.

John in PA
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Moisture removal: Put it in a sealed ziplock bag of uncooked rice for a couple days. Do this after removing battery and memory card and drying/cleaning terminals. Should pull any residual moisture out of the unit. A sandwich bag rubberbanded around the unit will work when riding in light rain if the unit is protected from direct wind blast.

If the unit is toast, try one of the Zumo units. they're great for motorcycle applications, and have car mounts and adapters with them as standard equipment. Very easy to switch vehicles.

BeRight
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Moisture removal: Put it in a sealed ziplock bag of uncooked rice for a couple days. Do this after removing battery and memory card and drying/cleaning terminals. Should pull any residual moisture out of the unit. A sandwich bag rubberbanded around the unit will work when riding in light rain if the unit is protected from direct wind blast.

If the unit is toast, try one of the Zumo units. they're great for motorcycle applications, and have car mounts and adapters with them as standard equipment. Very easy to switch vehicles.
:agree:Worked to revive my cell phone.

nudle
09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
:ohyea:Use Lamont's method of fixing a GPS

bjt
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
My Zumo 450 had the touch screen mess up on me about three weeks ago. I contacted Garmin tech support and they fixed the unit for me under warranty. :thumbup:

MarkLawson
09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I fell in a swimming pool with my cell phone last winter. I immediately removed the battery to keep electricity & water from combining any more than they already had. I called the smartest man I know (really), who also happens to be an electrical engineer who designs micro circuitry, and he told me to put it in the oven at the lowest temp setting for about 20 minutes. This would start the evaporation process. I did exactly what he said and still have a working cell. The display did have some condensation for awhile, but eventually worked it's way out.

Good luck,

wyliec
09-14-2009, 04:33 PM
My Zumo 450 had the touch screen mess up on me about three weeks ago. I contacted Garmin tech support and they fixed the unit for me under warranty. :thumbup:

I just got off the phone with Garmin. My unit is out of warranty; but, the person I talked to told me how to calibrate the unit. It now seems to work okay. I guess I'll be using a baggie or aqua box during rainy weather from now on.