PDA

View Full Version : Driving in ..115 f .. Ambient temps

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-03-2021, 10:16 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it worth mentioning here ..... Last week I took a 336 mi. trip to NJ to see relatives ... I left Sun morning during at he start of a five day heat wave. ... blazing Sun between 90 and 100 F for the ride there ... stayed at 4 bars the entire trip ... On Wed. I went out to Long Is. NY, started in mid-90's. got stuck in bumper to bumper ( like a parking lot ) for 1/2hr. On the Verrazano bridge the Spyder was at ... 115 F .... and yes the fans were running a lot but it never went above 4 bars either :clap: .... I didn't realize my Garmin Novi 50 was heat sensitive, it posted a Warning about over-heating and shut down :gaah:..... It took awhile but finally returned to life after about 1/2 of travelling at higher speeds , even tho it was still 95 +F .... I know many Spyder owners live in area's that attain similar temps during their Hot riding season, but here in the Northeast this was an anomaly .... Love my Spyder ...... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Right on BK. :yes:

Traveling in the plus 100's can be interesting. We got stuck in Fayetteville on the way to a rally in Oct of 2019. Temps in the low 100's. It was unbearable sitting in the slow moving traffic. The 2011 started heating up. We found it was a loose radiator cap, and all was well on future high temp trips.

RE: The Garmin. Same thing with my (Drivesmart 65). When it gets to hot outside, it stops working. Cool down, and its fine again.

gkamer
07-03-2021, 10:28 AM
My thermostat died before my Rykers. On Tuesday I got the brilliant idea to take a ride. Started out, it was 111°. The Ryker's temp gauge hit the 1/2 way mark which is normal operating temp. After about 30 minutes, I finally decided it was a stupid idea. Seems the faster I rode the hotter it got. You know how your face feels when you open the oven to check on your meatloaf? Yea, it was like that. But while the fans were running to beat the band, temp gauge never went about the 1/2 way mark.

BajaRon
07-03-2021, 10:41 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it worth mentioning here ..... Last week I took a 336 mi. trip to NJ to see relatives ... I left Sun morning during at he start of a five day heat wave. ... blazing Sun between 90 and 100 F for the ride there ... stayed at 4 bars the entire trip ... On Wed. I went out to Long Is. NY, started in mid-90's. got stuck in bumper to bumper ( like a parking lot ) for 1/2hr. On the Verrazano bridge the Spyder was at ... 115 F .... and yes the fans were running a lot but it never went above 4 bars either :clap: .... I didn't realize my Garmin Novi 50 was heat sensitive, it posted a Warning about over-heating and shut down :gaah:..... It took awhile but finally returned to life after about 1/2 of travelling at higher speeds , even tho it was still 95 +F .... I know many Spyder owners live in area's that attain similar temps during their Hot riding season, but here in the Northeast this was an anomaly .... Love my Spyder ...... Mike :thumbup:

So, your Garmin got Heat Stoke?