PDA

View Full Version : RT Options

NancysToy
09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Thought I had us both talked out of getting a Spyder RT, but Saturday found us at the dealer, talking details. No, we didn't bite yet, just nibbling at the bait for now. This thing really gets under your skin! Anyway, during our talk I was able to look over the retail prices of some of the Spyder RT options. The RT-S comes with a great many of options as standard equipment, so I have just listed the current list prices of the extras you may desire for an RT-S. I might add that looking over the option prices of many of the features that are included as standard on the RT-S, that it appears to be a good bargain. It would cost you far more to outfit one of the other versions with all the options included as standard on the RT-S. I have rounded the option prices to the nearest dollar.

CB Radio $650
XM Receiver $450
Side Cargo Insert Bags $230
Top Cargo Insert Bag $100
Front Roller Insert Bag $200
Comm System Cables/Mikes $190 ea

Sorry, I didn't get the price of the wired Comm System Helmets, I think they were about $430 each, but don't quote me.

dltang
09-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Oh Scotty, you do have it bad. Can't believe you were at the dealership looking after you talked yourself out of the RT. I think in actuality you are trying to talk yourself into the RT. You took Nancy with you just hoping she would push you over the edge so that you can blame the new spyder purchase on her. LOL

NancysToy
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh Scotty, you do have it bad. Can't believe you were at the dealership looking after you talked yourself out of the RT. I think in actuality you are trying to talk yourself into the RT. You took Nancy with you just hoping she would push you over the edge so that you can blame the new spyder purchase on her. LOL
Hey, who's side are you on? :D Actually, I was the one that saved the day Saturday, too. After the dealer offered us a very decent price on a Premier Edition RT-S, or RT-S with trailer, I saw Nancy's eyes glaze over. I got her out of there just before she reached for the checkbook. This would be a done deal if we were still looking for something to ride two-up, but lots of the frills are of no use to separate or solo riders. The RT-S is a niche motorcycle, for certain. Probably a good thing neither of us could sit on one, though. That might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe I need to hustle out and buy another vintage bike, just to ease the temptation. :shemademe_smilie:

fastfraser
09-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey, who's side are you on? :D Actually, I was the one that saved the day Saturday, too. After the dealer offered us a very decent price on a Premier Edition RT-S, or RT-S with trailer, I saw Nancy's eyes glaze over. I got her out of there just before she reached for the checkbook. This would be a done deal if we were still looking for something to ride two-up, but lots of the frills are of no use to separate or solo riders. The RT-S is a niche motorcycle, for certain. Probably a good thing neither of us could sit on one, though. That might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe I need to hustle out and buy another vintage bike, just to ease the temptation. :shemademe_smilie:

:2thumbs: You got it bad ! Now you have to decide what 3 vintage bikes have to leave the stable to make room for a RTS.

Bersquack
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
The CB and XM options are kind of pricey, but then again I never shopped for a CB before.

mjw930
09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
The CB and XM options are kind of pricey, but then again I never shopped for a CB before.

It looks like they caught the Honda disease when it comes to CB radio pricing..... I never understand how they can take $25 in electronics and turn it into a $650 option. Even Harley makes it standard with the top end radios.

Derwin
09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
It looks like they caught the Honda disease when it comes to CB radio pricing..... I never understand how they can take $25 in electronics and turn it into a $650 option. Even Harley makes it standard with the top end radios.

A CB? Who in the heck uses a CB anymore? I remember using one back in the 1070's and early to mid 1080's, but I thought they were obsolete in our current day and age. nojoke

Do people actually still use them?

Derwin

NancysToy
09-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes, I was a little taken back, too, but not surprised seeing what some of the other manufacturers get for this stuff. Same ballpark. The XM is really steep considering that you also have to pay at least $10 a month for the XM subscription, too. Of course the GPS markups get to you, too. Take an $800 GPS and add a bracket and some wiring and charge $1,200. They must have learned this trick from BMW. $380 for a couple of comm cables and mikes is not a giveaway, either. Evidently accessories are where the dollars lie. I'm sure there will be some discounts out there for folks that want to buy their accessories after the fact.

BRPjunkie
09-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Thought I had us both talked out of getting a Spyder RT, but Saturday found us at the dealer, talking details. No, we didn't bite yet, just nibbling at the bait for now. This thing really gets under your skin! Anyway, during our talk I was able to look over the retail prices of some of the Spyder RT options. The RT-S comes with a great many of options as standard equipment, so I have just listed the current list prices of the extras you may desire for an RT-S. I might add that looking over the option prices of many of the features that are included as standard on the RT-S, that it appears to be a good bargain. It would cost you far more to outfit one of the other versions with all the options included as standard on the RT-S. I have rounded the option prices to the nearest dollar.

CB Radio $650
XM Receiver $800
Side Cargo Insert Bags $230
Top Cargo Insert Bag $100
Front Roller Insert Bag $200
Comm System Cables/Mikes $190 ea

Sorry, I didn't get the price of the wired Comm System Helmets, I think they were about $430 each, but don't quote me.

"JUST NIBBLING AT THE BAIT" is what the fish says just before the hook is set and the fish is hauled into the boat. :D

Roaddog2
09-13-2009, 08:13 PM
A CB? Who in the heck uses a CB anymore? I remember using one back in the 1070's and early to mid 1080's, but I thought they were obsolete in our current day and age. nojoke

DerwinTrucks still use them good way to know where the bears are hiding :doorag: dont have one either but on some of my trips out west I was glad 1 or 2 of the bikes had this feature :doorag:

Roaddog2
09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes, I was a little taken back, too, but not surprised seeing what some of the other manufacturers get for this stuff. Same ballpark. The XM is really steep considering that you also have to pay at least $10 a month for the XM subscription, too. Of course the GPS markups get to you, too. Take an $800 GPS and add a bracket and some wiring and charge $1,200. They must have learned this trick from BMW. $380 for a couple of comm cables and mikes is not a giveaway, either. Evidently accessories are where the dollars lie. I'm sure there will be some discounts out there for folks that want to buy their accessories after the fact. You can store some of your bikes in my garage and you can come and get them whenever you need them to make room fore your RT free of course :joke:

Kjen
09-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Dudley would haul me to a dealer in the past with the "just looking" quote. No worries here though, we like ours. Had a meet/greet with the local group here today and Ken Miller brought over his RT demo. Looks pretty cool. I didn't like the passenger seat and had trouble getting back there; guess you are supposed to sit in the driver seat and slide backward. The front trunk has a smaller opening (my laptop in its case wouldn't fit) but is deeper. The small trunk/backrest could be handy for small items. Lots of people wanted to see/sit so I didn't ask to check out the side bags or the glove box. Lots of lights and reflection in the front. Supposed to look something like a Bengal tiger (?) but I heard someone comment that it looked more like a lawn mower.
That all sounds snippy. To each his/her own. I'm just in it for the RIDE so everyone mount up on their vehicle of choice and go rack up some miles.

retread
09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah, Scotty, get a belt drive Flying Merkel, or maybe a Crocker.:joke:

john

Firefly
09-13-2009, 09:56 PM

Derwin

I don't have one on the bike-- but many out here do-- not really sure if any other technology has even come close to matching the performance of CB ???? Bike to bike bluetooth is somewhat limited --- pretty sure most that want bike to bike are using CB ????

MarkLawson
09-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't have one on the bike-- but many out here do-- not really sure if any other technology has even come close to matching the performance of CB ???? Bike to bike bluetooth is somewhat limited --- pretty sure most that want bike to bike are using CB ????

I'll order mine with the CB.

I've had CBs on my bikes since 1990 (all Goldwings). Makes riding with others (who also have them) much more enjoyable. I'll never forget riding with a couple who had a stuck transmit button. They rode along for 10-15 minutes transmitting constantly & we could hear every word they said to each other over their intercom. They finally noted they hadn't heard from us for some time & then remembered they'd recently had trouble with the button sticking. Then the whole conversation went like, "... do you think they can hear us? If so, I wonder how long they've been listening..." I was doing everything I could to stay on the road, we were laughing so hard! :roflblack:

Bersquack
09-14-2009, 11:13 AM
That's funny!!!

bjt
09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Scotty, to help you out, I'll suggest to Lamonster that he ban you from the RT- Touring threads of SpyderLovers. :D

dltang
09-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Scotty, to help you out, I'll suggest to Lamonster that he ban you from the RT- Touring threads of SpyderLovers. :D

Scotty, you won't be alone, because I am almost ready to ban Brian along with you. I did tell him however if he wants to get a new RT for $25,000 he can do that and drive the old suburban during inclement weather and I'll keep my current spyder and spend my $25,000 on the new Chevy Camaro for inclement weather days. He didn't say no but he did grin. I am not too worried about either of us in the future. :D

mjw930
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM

Actually FRS/GMRS is far superior to CB but when you consider your type of communication you need to consider your riding group. CB's are quite common with most touring riders because A, many top line bikes come with them or have them as integrated options and B, many long distance riders want to be able to communicate with truckers and others and a CB is still the universal means of that type of communication.

I ended up putting the $600+ CB into my Goldwing because the rest of my family already had CB's on their bikes. We just did a family run of about 1500 miles up through the N. GA mountains and being able to communicate without hand signals was wonderful. In fact, I had a new Garmin nuvi so I was relegated to navigator but my Father-in-law really likes to take lead (he's concerned that others may not pace the ride to suit my Mother-in-laws comfort level) so he lead and I gave navigation instructions from the rear. It actually worked out real well and would have been impossible without the radios.

dltang
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
.........that should be pretty interesting in the snow......:yikes:

Brian has a Camaro a number of years ago and you are right, it wasn't very good in the snow but hey it isn't any worse than my spyder and they look so cool. :ohyea:

MarkLawson
09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Actually FRS/GMRS is far superior to CB but when you consider your type of communication you need to consider your riding group. CB's are quite common with most touring riders because A, many top line bikes come with them or have them as integrated options and B, many long distance riders want to be able to communicate with truckers and others and a CB is still the universal means of that type of communication.

I ended up putting the $600+ CB into my Goldwing because the rest of my family already had CB's on their bikes. We just did a family run of about 1500 miles up through the N. GA mountains and being able to communicate without hand signals was wonderful. In fact, I had a new Garmin nuvi so I was relegated to navigator but my Father-in-law really likes to take lead (he's concerned that others may not pace the ride to suit my Mother-in-laws comfort level) so he lead and I gave navigation instructions from the rear. It actually worked out real well and would have been impossible without the radios.

Another point in favor of CB's is when riding in a large group. If you have folks at each end of the group keeping track of where everyone is, especially when stuck in traffic or going through traffic lights, it really helps to keep the group together or allow them to regather after being separated.

DannyS
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
"just nibbling at the bait for now "

Thats what the catfish I had for supper last night said.:roflblack:

About the CB many of the rides I went on in Calif. would post the channel for the run at the start. They would many times have a chase van that followed and monitored the ride. I had a short on my Vulcan Nomad and they had a tow truck that gave me and my bike a lift to a dealership that handled Kawasaki and Honda and about three other brands. My luck the Kawasaki mechanic was not working that Saturday so I bummed some tools and pulled the seat and tank found the short and fixed it myself. And the tow was free. I beat the tow truck to the finish. :ohyea: