PDA

View Full Version : Video- 91 recommended but 87 is just fine

Lamonster
09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
The other day when I was at Deals Gap I was about out of fuel and I mistakenly thought both pumps were 91 or better. After I filled up I looked and it was 87. :yikes: By time I got home I was on empty and need to fill up soon, or so I thought. Turns out I still had 1.5+ left in the tank.

The RT ran just fine on 87, no knocking and if I gave up any performance it was hard to tell. I even got a little better mileage it seems but I am back to running 91 just because that's what it's calling for but I see no problem running 87 if you wanted to.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=478&pictureid=5963

Longlegs
09-13-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't recommend trying this with diesel.:joke:

Dukester
09-13-2009, 05:34 PM
What about the warranty, if something happens with the machine?

Lamonster
09-13-2009, 05:52 PM
What about the warranty, if something happens with the machine?
If they can prove that the fuel broke your Spyder I guess that would be a problem but seeing how 91 is only recommend not required even though they said printed "required" I wouldn't worry about it. They are going to change that and it has knock sensors.

bone crusher
09-13-2009, 10:44 PM
If they can prove that the fuel broke your Spyder I guess that would be a problem but seeing how 91 is only recommend not required even though they said printed "required" I wouldn't worry about it. They are going to change that and it has knock sensors.

Lamont,

I noticed that the red line is a little lower than the RS/SM/SE...is it running lower rpms at highway speeds? The power curve must be lower as well then...and it might get better mileage...???

Lamonster
09-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Lamont,

I noticed that the red line is a little lower than the RS/SM/SE...is it running lower rpms at highway speeds? The power curve must be lower as well then...and it might get better mileage...???
65= 4600
70= 5000
75= 5500
80= 5800
85= 6000
94= 7000

BLACK WIDOW
09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
The other day when I was at Deals Gap I was about out of fuel and I mistakenly thought both pumps were 91 or better. After I filled up I looked and it was 87. :yikes: By time I got home I was on empty and need to fill up soon, or so I thought. Turns out I still had 1.5+ left in the tank.

The RT ran just fine on 87, no knocking and if I gave up any performance it was hard to tell. I even got a little better mileage it seems but I am back to running 91 just because that's what it's calling for but I see no problem running 87 if you wanted to.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWBGCLXNWE)

Lamont; Don't you think that 87 octane would not be a good idea with a engine running over 12:1 compression. My Spyder performes much better with 91 octane and 10.8:1 compression. I would think that the ECU would have to significantly retard the timing in order to prevent major pre-ignition. Performance would have to suffer. I know that octane is a subjective topic and there are a lot of opinions (some analytical and some not) but 12:1 compression on 87 octane?:dontknow: I would probably go for the 93 octane if I could find it. Just my thoughts.nojoke

Lamonster
09-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Lamont; Don't you think that 87 octane would not be a good idea with a engine running over 12:1 compression. My Spyder performes much better with 91 octane and 10.8:1 compression. I would think that the ECU would have to significantly retard the timing in order to prevent major pre-ignition. Performance would have to suffer. I know that octane is a subjective topic and there are a lot of opinions (some analytical and some not) but 12:1 compression on 87 octane?:dontknow: I would probably go for the 93 octane if I could find it. Just my thoughts.nojoke
I would agree with you in theory and that's why I run 91 or better but I was giving you a real world test of what I found. I didn't hear any detonation, I really couldn't tell any lack of performance but I'm sure there was and it would show up on a dyno and my mileage was just a tad better than on 91. Go figure :dontknow:

BLACK WIDOW
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I would agree with you in theory and that's why I run 91 or better but I was giving you a real world test of what I found. I didn't hear any detonation, I really couldn't tell any lack of performance but I'm sure there was and it would show up on a dyno and my mileage was just a tad better than on 91. Go figure :dontknow:

I agree that would be hard to figure. nojokeI appreciate reading your input on these as well as all the issues you post.
Keep up the good work and spyderlovers.com will continue to be a standard.

Michael:doorag:

northramp
09-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Lamont:
What does it turn at 114?

never mind....

smokster
09-14-2009, 06:11 PM
You didnt hear it because Synard Skynard was rocking your new stereo as you cruised on down the hwy:ohyea:

Campverdefela
09-27-2009, 05:58 PM

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWBGCLXNWE)

Hi, Wouldn't you think that 91 oct was recommended because of the additional detergents that would help keep the injectors cleaner. I run higher octane in my other vehicles and have less problems with dirty injectors than most people I know who run 86-87.

Lamonster
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi, Wouldn't you think that 91 oct was recommended because of the additional detergents that would help keep the injectors cleaner. I run higher octane in my other vehicles and have less problems with dirty injectors than most people I know who run 86-87.
It's recommend because of the higher compression motor.

BillGargan
09-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Unless you add them, the additives in the higher octane fuels only relate to knock prevention.

Do not believe the ads or the crappe on the pumps!

NancysToy
09-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Do not believe the ads or the crap on the pumps!
True! Most brands advertise the detergents in conjunction with only their premium, to try to sell more of it, but for most of them all grades have the same detergents in the same amounts.

GaryTheBadger
09-28-2009, 11:13 AM
For what its worth, the new BRP Spyder Brochure (p/n 219200592) says 87 minimum octane for the RS and 91 minimum octane for the RT.

jima1153
04-01-2010, 08:56 PM
My dealer told me yesterday when I picked up my RT-S to use at least 91. he said that he was using 89 in his demo RT and it fowled the plugs - and they are a bear to change.

NancysToy
04-01-2010, 09:02 PM
My dealer told me yesterday when I picked up my RT-S to use at least 91. he said that he was using 89 in his demo RT and it fowled the plugs - and they are a bear to change.
Mine is using premium, and it still fouls the plugs frequently. The dealer is barking up the wrong tree. Oh.....they are a bear to change.

Lamonster
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Fouling plugs is from starting it and not riding it, it has nothing to do with the octane rating. If it never gets to operating temperature it will run in a enriched map and foul the plugs.

NancysToy
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Fouling plugs is from starting it and not riding it, it has nothing to do with the octane rating. If it never gets to operating temperature it will run in a enriched map and foul the plugs.
That is usually the case. In my case, it is actually worse on hot restarts, and has even happened riding down the highway. The only time it was not ridden was when I picked it up in December with the trailer, and when I brought it back the first time after I found the plugs fouled. The dealer is working on it. Hope it gets cured, since replacing plugs every few days has been expensive...and a big pain!

Lamonster
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
That is usually the case. In my case, it is actually worse on hot restarts, and has even happened riding down the highway. The only time it was not ridden was when I picked it up in December with the trailer, and when I brought it back the first time after I found the plugs fouled. The dealer is working on it. Hope it gets cured, since replacing plugs every few days has been expensive...and a big pain!
So what do think is causing your plugs to foul? You have less than 600 miles on your RT right?

NancysToy
04-01-2010, 10:07 PM
So what do think is causing your plugs to foul? You have less than 600 miles on your RT right?
600 even. My guess is weak coils or bad plug wires, since there is also a misfire. I have no intention of screwing with it unless my dealer gets stumped, however. He has a 25 item punch list to take care of. This is on it. I am just old fashioned enough to feel they should fix it, instead of me.

Lamonster
04-01-2010, 10:11 PM
600 even. My guess is weak coils or bad plug wires, since there is also a misfire. I have no intention of screwing with it unless my dealer gets stumped, however. He has a 25 item punch list to take care of. This is on it. I am just old fashioned enough to feel they should fix it, instead of me.
So who's paying for the plugs you are replacing every couple of days? I hope it's not you.

NancysToy
04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
So who's paying for the plugs you are replacing every couple of days? I hope it's not you.
They replaced the first set, the rest have been on me (three sets). It is a 70 mile round trip to the dealer, and an overnight stay for the Spyder. Cheaper for me to absorb the costs and inconvenience. We'll see if it is cured when I get it back after this round of repairs. Probably another week or two until I get it back.