PDA

View Full Version : ‘21 RT - Oh My Word

Peteoz
06-24-2021, 11:27 PM
Just took the new ‘21 RT out for its second, longer, run. “Refined”, doesn’t do it justice. I have to say that it rides better than my ‘16 F3-L, and to me, handles just about as well, even though the F3 had aftermarket tyres, Wilbers shocks, and Ron’s stabiliser bar. Mind you, the weights on the Kendas are minimal, and it had a laser alignment before it left the dealer, which makes a huge difference.

Looooooove the adjustable screen, and the ability to pop a helmet in the side bag. The stock seat is significantly more comfortable than the F3, but I may still need a Daylong, even if it is just to gain some extra legroom. No bottoming out with the stock shocks like there was on the F3.

Less leg room is noticeable, as is the position of the brake (awkward for me), but I am getting used to the new knee angle. Unfortunately, I can not lower the boards by reversing Lamont’s board raising kit as the brake pedal arm limits lowering. Also unfortunately, after putting Lamont’s black diamond highway pegs on, I had to remove them again. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with them, or their manufacture, but at 6’7” with a 38” inseam, their shape intrudes on the front edge of the boards, and prevents me from overlapping the front of the floorboards with my size 15s, and thus reduces my leg space.

I was wary about replacing the F3 after setting it up just the way I wanted it, but that wariness was unfounded…..love it :ohyea::2thumbs:

Pete

bigbadbrucie
06-24-2021, 11:39 PM
Congratulations Peteoz....happy for you.

safecracker
06-25-2021, 05:16 AM
congrats on the new ride. now go put some miles of smiles on.

bikerbillone
06-25-2021, 06:22 AM
Awesome, glad it worked out, love my 20 RTL and I fit it nicely, but I'm not 6'7"....... I can dream. Congrats.

Saluda
06-25-2021, 07:21 AM
Congrats.

Tango
06-25-2021, 08:00 AM
Congrats on the new ride! :2excited: Tom :spyder:

bikerchris1270
06-25-2021, 10:03 AM
Just took the new ‘21 RT out for its second, longer, run. “Refined”, doesn’t do it justice. I have to say that it rides better than my ‘16 F3-L, and to me, handles just about as well, even though the F3 had aftermarket tyres, Wilbers shocks, and Ron’s stabiliser bar. Mind you, the weights on the Kendas are minimal, and it had a laser alignment before it left the dealer, which makes a huge difference.

Looooooove the adjustable screen, and the ability to pop a helmet in the side bag. The stock seat is significantly more comfortable than the F3, but I may still need a Daylong, even if it is just to gain some extra legroom. No bottoming out with the stock shocks like there was on the F3.

Less leg room is noticeable, as is the position of the brake (awkward for me), but I am getting used to the new knee angle. Unfortunately, I can not lower the boards by reversing Lamont’s board raising kit as the brake pedal arm limits lowering. Also unfortunately, after putting Lamont’s black diamond highway pegs on, I had to remove them again. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with them, or their manufacture, but at 6’7” with a 38” inseam, their shape intrudes on the front edge of the boards, and prevents me from overlapping the front of the floorboards with my size 15s, and thus reduces my leg space.

I was wary about replacing the F3 after setting it up just the way I wanted it, but that wariness was unfounded…..love it :ohyea::2thumbs:

Pete
I participated in the Can Am Demo days……drove the Rtl……I also found the leg room too short for me with really awkward brake pedal. The quieter muffler was so appreciated over my 2019 F3Lthat I swapped out the F3 muffler with one from a 2020 RT…..sooooo much more quieter………I can easily enjoy my XM radio now.

ARtraveler
06-25-2021, 10:06 AM
:congrats: Glad your liking the new RT. :2thumbs: :firstplace:

pegasus1300
06-25-2021, 10:31 AM
Outstanding Pete:clap::clap::clap::yes::yes: I rode a 2021 RT at the demo days in Salt Lake City when Joe and Anne were. If I hadn't just bought a new truck a new blue 2021 would be sitting in the driveway. I like your description of "refined". Ride enjoy repeat.

Excoastie
06-26-2021, 05:32 AM
Congrats!

I purchased a '21 RTL last week. I don't have to "worry" about your height/ legroom "issues" though... I'm barely 5'5" wearing boots!

The biggest issue that I have encountered after about 700 miles is swamp ass. That has been reduced significantly through the use of a cheap pad from Amazon.
Otherwise, I have no issues.

I also can't compare to previous models, as I'm coming from an HD Dyna Low Rider.

--Exco

trikermutha
06-26-2021, 08:57 AM
No pictures it didnt happen:roflblack:

RayBJ
06-26-2021, 09:19 AM
The biggest issue that I have encountered after about 700 miles is swamp ass.

--Exco

Sheepskin, beads, or air cushion w/chambers (Airhawk or WildAss) reduces/eliminates swamp ass. Gel helps with hot spots but not so much the sweating. Rode several days in 93-102 temps in early June on a WildAss with no discomfort.

Deanna777
06-26-2021, 09:55 AM
Congrats!

Deanna

pidjones
06-26-2021, 02:38 PM
Although we are loving our new '21 RTL also, I couldn't call it "refined". Coming from an '06 GL1800 I find the audio terribly lacking, the BRP Connect not only non-functional but detracting from other things since you must constantly acknowledge if you have elected to not let it connect to your phone. The fact that you have to turn your steering to lock position to lock the glove box is crazy. My wife still is not comfortable in the pillion seat. She says there isn't the width, length, or depth of the GL1800. She was instantly comfortable on the 1800 the first ride - and she had not ridden since she was 15. But, at 68 I decided it was time for the extra wheel. Our old 1800 came by today for me to give the buyer some things I had forgot. I sure hope the Spyder is as good looking and running at 123537 miles as the GoldWing!

Peteoz
06-26-2021, 03:26 PM
Although we are loving our new '21 RTL also, I couldn't call it "refined". Coming from an '06 GL1800 I find the audio terribly lacking, the BRP Connect not only non-functional but detracting from other things since you must constantly acknowledge if you have elected to not let it connect to your phone. The fact that you have to turn your steering to lock position to lock the glove box is crazy. My wife still is not comfortable in the pillion seat. She says there isn't the width, length, or depth of the GL1800. She was instantly comfortable on the 1800 the first ride - and she had not ridden since she was 15. But, at 68 I decided it was time for the extra wheel. Our old 1800 came by today for me to give the buyer some things I had forgot. I sure hope the Spyder is as good looking and running at 123537 miles as the GoldWing!

I am coming from a ‘16 F3 Limited, pidjones, so the RT is indeed refined for me;) Sounds like you had better sell your RT and move back to a Goldwing……either that, or accept it isn’t a Goldwing and look at options to address its failings for you and your wife.
p.s. I don’t leave anything valuable in the glovebox, so I never find the need to lock it anyway……and I agree with you completely re BRP Connect. My wife is very happy with the RT seat…. We are ALL different with different body shapes and needs……and “looks” are soooo subjective:thumbup:
I hope you can get it sorted.

Pete

Little Blue
06-26-2021, 03:47 PM
:coffee: Well I have seen several of these at my local dealer.
A good looking Spyder by the way. I hope you enjoy yours.

Spyder's are the best. .....:thumbup:

Peteoz
06-26-2021, 03:54 PM
Congrats!
I purchased a '21 RTL last week. I don't have to "worry" about your height/ legroom "issues" though... I'm barely 5'5" wearing boots.
The biggest issue that I have encountered after about 700 miles is swamp ass. That has been reduced significantly through the use of a cheap pad from Amazon.
Otherwise, I have no issues.
I also can't compare to previous models, as I'm coming from an HD Dyna Low Rider.
--Exco

Great to hear, Excoastie :thumbup: . I, luckily, or unluckily, don’t usually get to experience swamp ass, as I tend to swap stock seats for Russell Daylongs within a week or two. Expensive option, but there aren’t really any other solutions for a big bloke :dontknow: I think I’ll be looking for a second hand 20/21 RT seat in the US to ship to Russell for mods in the next few weeks. That’ll give me more legroom through height/length additions.

Pete

Pete

Tango
06-26-2021, 05:44 PM

Did you look into triking your GW? Sounds like you were a lot happier. I came form a GW Trike. The Spyder is light years ahead in the handling dept.. That and Car tires all around. And it's made by ONE company. Good luck with your decision. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Pooch
06-27-2021, 06:23 AM
I am really liking my 2021 RTL. I came from a Gold Wing trike which I loved.
I have let a close friend drive it several times but he just can’t keep from comparing it to his Yamaha Venture Hannigan trike….that IS a super nice trike.
I tell him… the Spyder is an entirely different animal and until you can switch to that mindset you are not going to be able to let the trike go…just like you switched from 2 to 3 wheels…
Took me 3 years and this new 2021 Spyder design change to let my Gold Wing trike go.
Three things I really like about this Spyder are,
..no constant clutching in slow traffic
..I love those wide floor boards and able to stretch my legs out for the ride…I am 5’5” and always liked the bent leg touring position but I adore the option of stretching out and hugging that center body work with my legs. It seems to make me one with the vehicle rather than being perched on top of a moving ball.
…It is a pure 3-wheeler and recognized by a large company who will work on/service the whole unit instead of a converted 2-wheeler where you find the bike brand dealer won’t work on the vehicle because it is a trike… or … you are unable to find a trike kit dealer anywhere close by that can work on the particular trike kit end of it…. So frustrating.
One thing I kindof think they could add is a hand brake in addition to the foot brake but I am quickly adapting to being without it.