PDA

View Full Version : RT Performance

BLACK WIDOW
09-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Yesterday, while a friend (SE5 rider) and I were having coffee, the subject came up about the performance of the new RT. My friend says if you want a pretty good idea of the performance, all you have to do is find a 200 LB passenger and add 30 LBS of luggage to your GS/RS; disregard the 6 HP difference as the margin or error and you will have a pretty good idea of how the RT will perform as compared to the GS/RS. I don't know how to invalidate his logic.:dontknow:

Michael:doorag:

Bulldogger
09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Thats fairly good logic, it is a heavier bike with less horsepower. Add in a passenger then cargo and you will slow down. Basically he is telling you if feels slower.:D

docdoru
09-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm at the heavy weight category already: 880 lbs dry weight :yikes:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00567-1.jpg?t=1252786642

QuadManiac
09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I ride regularly 2 up and our combined weights are well over the max load spec... performance is still quite good, twisties are a little tougher then when solo.

BillGargan
09-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Yesterday, while a friend (SE5 rider) and I were having coffee, the subject came up about the performance of the new RT. My friend says if you want a pretty good idea of the performance, all you have to do is find a 200 LB passenger and add 30 LBS of luggage to your GS/RS; disregard the 6 HP difference as the margin or error and you will have a pretty good idea of how the RT will perform as compared to the GS/RS. I don't know how to invalidate his logic.:dontknow:

This will have only limited validity.

By some accounts so far, the changes in the HP and torque curves feel very different -- and better.

But the same reports seem to indicate that it will be harder to reach redline in top gear -- which impacts a small fraction of ryders.

BAZMAN
09-12-2009, 07:02 PM
according to lamont the torque comes on quicker, once you get rolling the extra weight wont matter as much. plus as far as i can tell from the posts i've
read the gearing is the same as before, 5500 rpms at 75 mph.
this gearing was only thing that bothered me about my spyder. on the new RT i was hoping they would make the 5th gear an overdrive.

bone crusher
09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
according to lamont the torque comes on quicker, once you get rolling the extra weight wont matter as much. plus as far as i can tell from the posts i've
read the gearing is the same as before, 5500 rpms at 75 mph.
this gearing was only thing that bothered me about my spyder. on the new RT i was hoping they would make the 5th gear an overdrive.

I always think of it as torque takes you from 0-60 and HP keeps you there and above...

McGone
09-13-2009, 08:27 AM
The fairing and winshield may effect performance also. The wind resistance will more of an effect than the extra weight at higher speeds. :doorag:

BLACK WIDOW
09-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I always think of it as torque takes you from 0-60 and HP keeps you there and above...

Yes, the torque is the work output of the engine and is what gets you moving. The HP is how fast you will move (generally speaking) IMHO.:f_spider:

Lamonster
09-13-2009, 08:59 AM
From what I can tell the RT is every bit as responsive as the RS on the low end. Where the weight starts to show up is on the top end.

BLACK WIDOW
09-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Here's a good explanation.......

http://www.largiader.com/articles/torque.html/

That is a very good explanation!!