PDA

View Full Version : Trip odometer not working (temporarily)...

Raprider
06-16-2021, 09:02 PM
2016 STS...16k+ miles...just had a 14k service done about a month ago.

Went out for a group ryde today, and at my first fuel-up, I reset my Trip A odometer, as usual.
About 2 miles down the road I noticed it was still on zero! I flipped to Trip B and this was working properly, so I reset this one and kept it on the display.
About 60 miles later was our next fuel-up stop. A mile or so down the road, I checked Trip A again, and it was clocking properly.
Both Trip A and Trip B continued to work properly, with a 60-mile difference, for the remainder of the trip, including another fuel-up 100 miles later.

It seems like this was just a temporary "glitch".
About a year ago, my cruise control stopped working for a day or two, but has been fine since.
I guess these are just some random 'ghost in the machine' type issues, but if anyone has a reasonable explanation, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks!

ottawa-rider
06-16-2021, 09:37 PM
Well, first of all, it is possible to PAUSE the trip meters.

However, even if you accidentally did pause it, I think you would know if you enabled it again.

Just saying!

bigbadbrucie
06-16-2021, 10:15 PM

However, even if you accidentally did pause it, I think you would know if you enabled it again.

Just saying!

? ? ? ?

Mikey
06-17-2021, 05:24 AM
And if you try to set your cruse at anything lower than 45 it will bock and not want to set! And if you have a weak brake peddle return spring and the peddle bounces just enough to get into the safety switch it will cancel out, don't ask me how I know that tid bit!!:gaah:

EdMat
06-17-2021, 07:10 AM

Just saying!

How do you pause it?

LongIsland
06-17-2021, 07:21 AM
And if you try to set your cruse at anything lower than 45 it will bock and not want to set! And if you have a weak brake peddle return spring and the peddle bounces just enough to get into the safety switch it will cancel out, don't ask me how I know that tid bit!!:gaah:
mph
I have a road that is several miles long with no stop signs or traffic signals. The speed limit is 25 mph. I always set my cruise for 25-30 mph on that strip with no problem. I have a 2014 RT.

Peter Aawen
06-17-2021, 07:51 AM
And if you try to set your cruse at anything lower than 45 it will bock and not want to set! .....

mph
....... I always set my cruise for 25-30 mph on that strip with no problem. I have a 2014 RT.

Don't really know what it might've been that stopped your cruise control working a year or so back, Raprider; but cruise control won't set if your engine revs are too low for whatever gear you happen to be in/the road speed you happen to be travelling at... So if you are in saaay, something like 5th or 6th gear travelling at only 45 mph, your engine revs are likely too low for that speed and it's no wonder cruise won't set; but if you are in 2nd or maybe even 3rd gear doing 25mph, your engine revs will be somewhat higher in relation to the given road speed, so cruise will probably set fine! :ohyea:

ARtraveler
06-17-2021, 08:19 AM
The 998's have a pause/resume feature on the trip meters.

When the button shows "pause" it is working. When the button shows "resume" it is in pause. Sounds like you hit the wrong setting. Been there, done that myself.

Mikey
06-17-2021, 08:48 AM
Me to!!

Baron14y
06-17-2021, 10:33 AM
Me too. There are a number of things on Spyder readouts that appear backwards with regard to what they actually do.:dontknow:

Raprider
06-17-2021, 10:37 AM
The 998's have a pause/resume feature on the trip meters.

When the button shows "pause" it is working. When the button shows "resume" it is in pause. Sounds like you hit the wrong setting. Been there, done that myself.

Thanks, ARTraveler!
I've never noticed this before and will take a look next time I'm ryding...maybe later today!

Raprider
06-17-2021, 10:39 AM
Don't really know what it might've been that stopped your cruise control working a year or so back, Raprider; but cruise control won't set if your engine revs are too low for whatever gear you happen to be in/the road speed you happen to be travelling at... So if you are in saaay, something like 5th or 6th gear travelling at only 45 mph, your engine revs are likely too low for that speed and it's no wonder cruise won't set; but if you are in 2nd or maybe even 3rd gear doing 25mph, your engine revs will be somewhat higher in relation to the given road speed, so cruise will probably set fine! :ohyea:

Thanks, Peter!
I have had no problems since, and often set my cruise as low as 29mph, but the low rev situation may be relevant.
Happily, it was a brief issue for a day or two and has not recurred since.

Woodaddict
06-17-2021, 02:56 PM
How do you pause it?

NOT SURE for a 2019 with new gauge cluster. but on 2015 RTL, left - right arrows on handlebar toggle trip A/B. up - down arrows,,,,,,,down erases miles / hrs info. up pauses the trip from recording miles / hrs. 2019 with that joy stick would be something similiar

EdMat
06-17-2021, 03:59 PM
NOT SURE for a 2019 with new gauge cluster. but on 2015 RTL, left - right arrows on handlebar toggle trip A/B. up - down arrows,,,,,,,down erases miles / hrs info. up pauses the trip from recording miles / hrs. 2019 with that joy stick would be something similiar

On the 2019 pushing up on the joy stick makes the one you are on the primary to be displayed on the left side of the display.

Raprider
06-17-2021, 08:32 PM
Thanks, ARTraveler!
I've never noticed this before and will take a look next time I'm ryding...maybe later today!

"Pause" found...yeah, I must have pushed the Up arrow in addition to the Right arrow (reset)...