PDA

View Full Version : riding without warranty

czdaryle
09-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Since it has been over two years wondering how many people are riding without a warrranty? I would think with all the problems people are having we would of or should start hearing of some outragous repair bills that people have to pay. I myself got the extended

Bersquack
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I think a big majority got the BEST warranty. But I am interested to hear from those who didn't.

BillGargan
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I just have the factory warranty.

BLACK WIDOW
09-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Since it has been over two years wondering how many people are riding without a warrranty? I would think with all the problems people are having we would of or should start hearing of some outragous repair bills that people have to pay. I myself got the extended

One can do a fair amount of work for the $1000 +/- that the warranty costs. It is just like any other insurance--They are betting that you won't use it---and you are betting that you will (paid up front). Can be a hugh benefit or a substantial expense. I have a seven year warranty on my GL 1800 and haven't used it at all.nojoke

Michael:doorag:

Smylinacha
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm still on factory warranty then I gotta decide what to do next Spring.

BLACK WIDOW
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Me Too!nojoke

Roaddog2
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
:agree:also checking on other warranty options besides Best :doorag:

Smylinacha
09-11-2009, 10:00 AM
:agree:also checking on other warranty options besides Best :doorag:

Good when you find something let us know. We don't want roadside assistance - already have it on all vehicles thru our RV

BeRight
09-11-2009, 10:34 AM
My warranty expires in March 2010 - depending on how she's behaving, I may roll the dice once again and not buy the extended warranty. Warranty is only as good as the manufacturer and dealer will honor (a dealer that will fight BRP for you is worth mega$)- generally not worth the legal hassle if they don't. From my internet findings most people have had good warranty support but some have not.

I rolled the dice the first time in buying a used Spyder - and she has been a reliable fun machine for almost a year now. I am not a high mileage user - probably 3-4K miles per year. I shut her down from NOV/DEC to March.

If I decide to sell, help to raise money for RT (I only buy my vehicles via cash), then the warranty coverage should help to attract buyers. Question is would I get my monies worth in resale - probably not but it would probably sell sooner and at a little better price:dontknow:

OOOPS - I just noticed my picture includes recently sold FZ1. I'll fix it.

Rando
09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
RPM One

http://www.rpmone.com/PDFdocs_Unsecured/Complete%20Product%20Overview%20VSC.pdf

effgjamis
09-11-2009, 11:14 AM
One can do a fair amount of work for the $1000 +/- that the warranty costs. It is just like any other insurance--They are betting that you won't use it---and you are betting that you will (paid up front). Can be a hugh benefit or a substantial expense. I have a seven year warranty on my GL 1800 and haven't used it at all.nojoke

At $80 per hour labor, plus parts, you can exceed the $1k in a heart beat. Unless of course you can sit and watch the dealer work on the spyder. Then who knows it might cost you more. ( watching fee :joke: )

BeRight
09-11-2009, 11:27 AM
RPM One

http://www.rpmone.com/PDFdocs_Unsecured/Complete%20Product%20Overview%20VSC.pdf

Curious if you benefit from RPM One. At a glance, they are dealer specific and dealer financially benefits from not doing warranty work. Did I get it wrong?

Spanky
09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
My dealer won't sell the BRP extended warranty.

BRP says the dealer will but everytime when I ask the dealer (5 times) they say no.

I suppose I can go to another dealer.

j45p3r
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I have the two year factory and got one year of BEST as part of the promotion when I bought. Over the next three years I plan to become very familiar with the Spyder so when the wtty is up I can do the work myself.

bjt
09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
At $80 per hour labor, plus parts, you can exceed the $1k in a heart beat. Unless of course you can sit and watch the dealer work on the spyder. Then who knows it might cost you more. ( watching fee :joke: )

Labor rate - $80 / hour
If you watch - $95 /hour
If you help - $125 / hour

:D

COOLMACHINE
09-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I have the 2 year factory warranty. It will expire I believe in May 2010. My spyder has been wonderful. Right near 12 thousand miles now. I have no plans to purchase the extended warranty.

Smylinacha
09-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't think I want to purchase one either. But I'll have to ask HDX what he wants to do.

czdaryle
09-11-2009, 07:29 PM

I hear a lot of people getting the dps replace...that alone has to run a good buck:yikes:

Zerocool
09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I just have the factory warranty.

+1

My buddy, who's coming with me to Gatlinburg, just tore down his 2001 Honda Valkyrie engine, cleaned it up, and has it back together and purring.

I own the :spyder: manual.

So... I have a friend, a manual, and all the right tools :ohyea:

Our wives are peeved they're not able to join us for the ride to Gatlinburg nojoke

Dudley
09-11-2009, 08:42 PM
With what I have done in 25,000 miles, my warranty is probably dust. I have not payed for any service since the 625 service. So, in quick calculation: 3K = $350; 6K = $450(?); 9K = $300; 12k = $600;, 15k = $300; 18k = $400; 21k = $400; 23k = $600. Comes to $3400 +/- (in 9 months since purchase) that I have not spent on the Spyder and it purrs like a kitten. I also have a 5-year warranty that pays..you bet it's not Best. Even the dealer didn't recommend Best. Same plugs, no valve check, nothing leaks, not using BRP oil, etc. I am not paranoid about the warranty. I just treat the Spyder well, and I ride.

Lowflyingowl
09-11-2009, 09:52 PM
After having my engine replaced under warranty, I'm not going to take any chances with my 24K investment. My factory warranty will be up in June 2010 and I sure will get the BEST.

Mind, this is the first time I've ever thought of getting an extended warranty for any vehicle, but its also the first time I've had an engine go out at 20K.

Latemarch
09-12-2009, 06:29 AM
After having my engine replaced under warranty, I'm not going to take any chances with my 24K investment. My factory warranty will be up in June 2010 and I sure will get the BEST.

Mind, this is the first time I've ever thought of getting an extended warranty for any vehicle, but its also the first time I've had an engine go out at 20K.

You've already had the worst thing happen that could happen and it happened under warranty.

Expecting lightning to strike twice?

Why give them their money back by purchasing the extended?

Just go'in with the probablilities here.......

Brian Wilkinson
09-13-2009, 07:53 PM
with the problems i had in the first 500 miles, between the parts and labor totaled over 3500.00 all covered under warranty. so as apart of the lemon case settlement, i had 3yr extended best warranty added to the 2yr factory and a nice amount of cash for some accessories. put about 1400 miles on my spyder since the problems were corrected. i wouldn't want to have pay the bill for an electrical component that went bad for what ever reason and some parts changed (elec.) have to be remapped into computer and i don't have any friends with brp soft ware rights to perform these tasks.

bone crusher
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
with the problems i had in the first 500 miles, between the parts and labor totaled over 3500.00 all covered under warranty. so as apart of the lemon case settlement, i had 3yr extended best warranty added to the 2yr factory and a nice amount of cash for some accessories. put about 1400 miles on my spyder since the problems were corrected. i wouldn't want to have pay the bill for an electrical component that went bad for what ever reason and some parts changed (elec.) have to be remapped into computer and i don't have any friends with brp soft ware rights to perform these tasks.

Too much electronics to NOT get the BEST warranty...not worth the chance 3 years down the road. Working on mechanical items is one thing...if there are electrical problems, forget it...

leo76dragon
09-14-2009, 12:09 AM

How much is the BEST extended warranty?

truck 85
09-14-2009, 12:22 AM
I have the two year factory and got one year of BEST as part of the promotion when I bought. Over the next three years I plan to become very familiar with the Spyder so when the wtty is up I can do the work myself.
ditto