PDA

View Full Version : oil leak question

redspyderlady
09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if lugging the engine could cause oil to leak into the air breather box? If not, what other factors could cause such a leak?

Firefly
09-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know if lugging the engine could cause oil to leak into the air breather box? If not, what other factors could cause such a leak?

It does that by design (poor design). The oil/fuel mixture is supposed to burn up in the intake--- but it's not all getting in. Various fixes have been posted out here. An Oil catch can seems to be the best.

Tom in NM
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
My favorite suspect is over-filling the oil.

I think that too much oil is easy to do. I would think it was easy, because I did it once and then got oil in the air box.

There may be some structural design in the lube system that make even a little too much go to the air box.

There are several "fixes" for this ( oil catch cans and filter plugs ), but I have not heard of a confirmed BRP fix yet.

Tom

capt.jim
09-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I have found that if i keep the oil level where it just barely touches the dipstick it will stay at that level and not blow anymore out of the breather into the airbox.

Saluda
09-11-2009, 04:51 AM
I have found that if i keep the oil level where it just barely touches the dipstick it will stay at that level and not blow anymore out of the breather into the airbox.
My dealer just made mention of this. Also said they have upped the frequency of checking the air box for oil.

mike3069
09-11-2009, 08:24 AM
:agree:

brutus450
09-11-2009, 11:40 AM

I tried that and it didnt work for me. Does anyone think it may have to do with what oil is being used? I know before my first oil change when it had full syn in it, it DID NOT get oil in the box and immediately after my oil change and using the blend, it now gets oil in the box.

AND when before the oil change my level was right at the top mark and now I have it half half way up (at full operating temp). So I have less oil and now oil in the box. I am going to try going to full syn and see if I get any in my catch can.

NancysToy
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I tried that and it didnt work for me. Does anyone think it may have to do with what oil is being used? I know before my first oil change when it had full syn in it, it DID NOT get oil in the box and immediately after my oil change and using the blend, it now gets oil in the box.

AND when before the oil change my level was right at the top mark and now I have it half half way up (at full operating temp). So I have less oil and now oil in the box. I am going to try going to full syn and see if I get any in my catch can.
I don't think the type of oil makes much difference. I used full synthetic at the change, but had much the same results as you. I suspect it is more a matter of time, allowing more oil to collect an flow to the box, plus riding a bit harder after the break-in period. Nothing short of a catch can, foam in the hose, or a complete redesign is going to cure it, IMO

Tom in NM
09-11-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't think the type of oil makes much difference. I used full synthetic at the change, but had much the same results as you. I suspect it is more a matter of time, allowing more oil to collect an flow to the box, plus riding a bit harder after the break-in period. Nothing short of a catch can, foam in the hose, or a complete redesign is going to cure it, IMO
:agree:
The only difference in oils, in this case, may come from those that have anti-foaming additives. There is probably a 'foam' difference between regular, blend, and synthetic oils, but I don't know if it is enough to make a difference.

Tom

redspyderlady
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. You're sure a helpful bunch:firstplace: