PDA

View Full Version : Fairing for our current models

Smylinacha
09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Now, this is what I want for my Spyder. Maybe not "batwing" shaped but I want something that has speakers & a stereo system built in - something that would fit around to include our speedometer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=141&pictureid=5925

3wheeldemon
09-10-2009, 02:53 PM
:clap::2thumbs: if we coud also make the front wheels to jump....

3WD

Firefly
09-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Now, this is what I want for my Spyder. Maybe not "batwing" shaped but I want something that has speakers & a stereo system built in - something that would fit around to include our speedometer.

See the post on the one from Marcel--- might be what you're looking for (I'm not endorsing it-- just pointing it out -:doorag:)

BAZMAN
09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
i have the f1 evo II. IT IS A GREAT WINDSHIELD. idid have a small problem with one mounting hole.
on honda VTX. i have a memphis shades, an even with the laminar lip, i still get the crap beat out of me from the wind. F1 is making great products.
and now for the 1st 5000 OF US who got screwed by BRP. dont get me wrong I LOVE MY SPYDER, but lets face it they screwed up the gear ratio BIG TIME.
if it wasn't for NO MAGIC MAN, MELS MONSTER GARAGE, F1 SPYDER WINDSHIELDS, AND LAMONT. we who put spyder on the map would be taking a bath on trying to trade our spyders in. my dealer in albuquerque wants to charge me $25 for an oil filter. what do you think he will charge
me to trade. anyway F1 is making a great looking fairing "THE MANTIS'"
and if MINE and a lot of others experience with F1, this will be a great working fairing as well. these aftermarket people are helping us keep our SPYDERS.

Skidz
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
I think something like that would be great to have, but one thing I don't want is something that looks "tacked on." I really try to keep the shape and flow with anything I add, and I would have to have something that looked like it was meant to be there. Hopefully, someone will come up with a fairing like you pointed out, and still meets these criteria.

Skidz

Firefly
09-10-2009, 05:12 PM
i have the f1 evo II. IT IS A GREAT WINDSHIELD. idid have a small problem with one mounting hole.
on honda VTX. i have a memphis shades, an even with the laminar lip, i still get the crap beat out of me from the wind. F1 is making great products.
and now for the 1st 5000 OF US who got screwed by BRP. dont get me wrong I LOVE MY SPYDER, but lets face it they screwed up the gear ratio BIG TIME.
if it wasn't for NO MAGIC MAN, MELS MONSTER GARAGE, F1 SPYDER WINDSHIELDS, AND LAMONT. we who put spyder on the map would be taking a bath on trying to trade our spyders in. my dealer in albuquerque wants to charge me $25 for an oil filter. what do you think he will charge
and if MINE and a lot of others experience with F1, this will be a great working fairing as well. these aftermarket people are helping us keep our SPYDERS.

I guess I don't get what you're saying?? Why did the 1st 5,000 of us get screwed? What's wrong with the gear ratio-- and why do you think they changed it? I've not heard of any changes to it.

Smylinacha
09-10-2009, 05:29 PM
See the post on the one from Marcel--- might be what you're looking for (I'm not endorsing it-- just pointing it out -:doorag:)

Yep saw it but don't like the looks. I want something where I can keep my CHAD. But yeah, it's a start:2thumbs:

Tom in NM
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM

This will probably get me on your Ignore List, if I am not already, but . . . .

. . . . . that looks like something Madonna wore in an early music video.

I do wish I had something constructive to recommend, but I have been reading too many 3wheeldemon posts.

Tom

Roaddog2
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM
and if MINE and a lot of others experience with F1, this will be a great working fairing as well. these aftermarket people are helping us keep our SPYDERS.:agree:BIGTIME

tweeder
09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
:clap::2thumbs: if we coud also make the front wheels to jump....

3WD

\
Don't forget about the spinners.

Roaddog2
09-10-2009, 06:28 PM

:barf::barf::chill: :joke:

BAZMAN
09-10-2009, 06:43 PM
i am sorry if you took offense. there is another post on a trial of an RT.
and he said he thought that the the gear ratio was higher in 5th gear.
i have asked lamont to RPMS in 5th at 70 and 80 mph.
i asked no magic man why it is so hard to make certain changes on the
SPYDER, he told my they did not know if the spyder would sell so they took a lot of parts of the shelf. we can only change the gear ratios slightly because the 1st gear i geared too high, and the 5th gear is geared too low. in my opinion this is crazy on a bike with this much torque.
5500 rpms at 75 mph is way to much for a bike that will pull 2 up 360lbs
from 2700rpms with out bogging the engine. also in order to get the pulback that i want 1 extra inch. i will have to ahange cables. i just think
brp should have had a little more forsight to know that these bikes would sell and designed accordingly.
see what it is going to cost you to get a new and try not be too disgusted. anyway I LOVE MY SPYDER and i am going to keep it i still have amore mods to due. and for $25000 dollars i will wait and buy the new camaro.
PS THANK GOODNESS FOR THE AFTER MARKET.

3wheeldemon
09-10-2009, 07:11 PM

I do wish I had something constructive to recommend, but I have been reading too many 3wheeldemon posts.

Tom

Tell the truth, Tom. You are just drained by your Doctoral Thesis in the "Any Update to the Update" thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=141936&postcount=41

:D:doorag:

3WD

Smylinacha
09-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Tom

As I said in a previous post - I don't want batwing style - I just want something that will give me tunes and aux plug ins

Smylinacha
09-10-2009, 07:16 PM
:barf::barf::chill: :joke:

Well I think your little trailer is gay

Firefly
09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
i am sorry if you took offense. there is another post on a trial of an RT.
and he said he thought that the the gear ratio was higher in 5th gear.
i have asked lamont to RPMS in 5th at 70 and 80 mph.
i asked no magic man why it is so hard to make certain changes on the
SPYDER, he told my they did not know if the spyder would sell so they took a lot of parts of the shelf. we can only change the gear ratios slightly because the 1st gear i geared too high, and the 5th gear is geared too low. in my opinion this is crazy on a bike with this much torque.
5500 rpms at 75 mph is way to much for a bike that will pull 2 up 360lbs
from 2700rpms with out bogging the engine. also in order to get the pulback that i want 1 extra inch. i will have to ahange cables. i just think
brp should have had a little more forsight to know that these bikes would sell and designed accordingly.
see what it is going to cost you to get a new and try not be too disgusted. anyway I LOVE MY SPYDER and i am going to keep it i still have amore mods to due. and for $25000 dollars i will wait and buy the new camaro.
PS THANK GOODNESS FOR THE AFTER MARKET.

No offense taken at all-- just wanted to know where you were coming from.

Understand that the original release of the Spyder wasn't meant to be a touring bike. It was built for aggressive riding--- hence the rider position and the torque. Rotax engines, by their very nature like to run at higher RPM's.

I'm unsure if they actually changed any gearing so to speak--- but they apparantly changed the tuning of the engine to optimise HP at lower RPMS.

I personally wouldn't want any different gearing for our Spyder GS bikes--- I like it quick off the line and really don't care much about the MPG. I don't use 5th gear much at all-- only highway riding --- which I avoid. Back country roads are the norm for me--- and I've had her up to 112 while still in 4th.

The way I see it--- the new RT is really a bike made for a different purpose (maybe even a special purpose--:roflblack:).. and really can't fairly be compared to the GS that we all own now. There's 14,000 or so one the road now (around 10K in North America)---- so I think they must have done pretty good with their initial idea for the Spyder.

The RT will sell quite well-- and I LOVE the features and looks--- but it's just not for me as most of my riding is short trips--- riding single.

Firefly
09-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....:roflblack:

Tom in NM
09-10-2009, 07:53 PM
As I said in a previous post - I don't want batwing style - I just want something that will give me tunes and aux plug ins

. . . . that sounds like something Madonna would have said when she was putting it on.

Seriously, I only have a second before I have to get back to the Update the Update thread, the sound quality is much better with headphones or ear-buds. I am biased, I have just never 'gotten' big speaker systems on cycles or even convertibles. According to Lamont, the new RTS has a killer sound system, but it still does not make sense to me.

By the way, how is the No Smoking going - I quit tomorrow. I will probably be kicked off the forum by Sunday. Except for the :roflblack: trailer comment, you seem to be doing pretty good.

Tom

BAZMAN
09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
thank you firefly you made my point. with the amount of torque and 9500rpm redline with forthought they could have easily made the 5th gear an overdrive and satisfied people like me also.

dltang
09-10-2009, 07:58 PM
The way I see it--- the new RT is really a bike made for a different purpose (maybe even a special purpose--:roflblack:)..

That made me smile FireFly...Good movie from a long time ago.

Tom in NM
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Tell the truth, Tom. You are just drained by your Doctoral Thesis in the "Any Update to the Update" thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=141936&postcount=41

:D:doorag:

3WD

. . . . I am a shill for BRP and get paid by the word.

Oh, and I see your buddy Chris, responded to you. You need to get him hooked on the Sexy Spyder Gear thread, but please, no more Spyder Thong eBay listings. :pray:

Tom

Roaddog2
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Well I think your little trailer is gay:roflblack::roflblack:

aubierules
09-11-2009, 09:09 AM
:roflblack:

3wheeldemon
09-11-2009, 09:57 AM
....Oh, and I see your buddy Chris, responded to you. You need to get him hooked on the Sexy Spyder Gear thread, but please, no more Spyder Thong eBay listings. :pray:

Tom

Yeah, he is playing the guys of "the other board" like a well tuned piano...:gaah:

3WD

Firefly
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
thank you firefly you made my point. with the amount of torque and 9500rpm redline with forthought they could have easily made the 5th gear an overdrive and satisfied people like me also.

Well---- to me 5th gear basically IS overdrive....:doorag:

kman
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM

oh! I mis-read it's fairies not fairing!:roflblack:

Smylinacha
09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
oh! I mis-read it's fairies not fairing!:roflblack:

:roflblack:

kman
09-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Smylinacha,I'm with you,I love to listen to music on my way home from work in my truck.But since I like to ride my Spyder every chance I get I do miss the music.:cus: If I could ride my Spyder and listen to music I might never go home!Come on, somebody help us out!

Smylinacha
09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Smylinacha,I'm with you,I love to listen to music on my way home from work in my truck.But since I like to ride my Spyder every chance I get I do miss the music.:cus: If I could ride my Spyder and listen to music I might never go home!Come on, somebody help us out!

I used to have an amp and 2 wheel tune speakers but a speaker broke - I think it was due to the vibrations because of where it was mounted. I can do amp again w/ marine speakers but I was sort of wishing for a "dash/console" w/ speakers in it - good ones, along with a plug for my cell phone which is also an mp3 player/gps & tv.

BeRight
09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Below is a posting from another thread by thekershaw's (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=4164), but just might be what you are looking for:

"Here's a site I found that sells a fairing/sterio shield. www.Hpconcept.net (http://www.hpconcept.net/)
I've seen one installed on a :spyder2:, and they look sweet."

Smylinacha
09-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Below is a posting from another thread by thekershaw's (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=4164), but just might be what you are looking for:

"Here's a site I found that sells a fairing/sterio shield. www.Hpconcept.net (http://www.hpconcept.net/)
I've seen one installed on a :spyder2:, and they look sweet."

COOL!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs: Now we're getting closer! I'm gonna write this place and see if there's a way I could keep my CHAD with something like this- that is one of my accessories I do not want to part with. That little windshield doesn't look all that great sticking out of the fairing but I'm totally liking the setup of the speakers, etc on it. Thanks for the info:clap:

Edit to Add: So what does everyone think of this? Thumbs up or the puking symbol?

kman
09-12-2009, 09:47 AM
:2thumbs: keep us posted!

mdr
09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
COOL!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs: Now we're getting closer! I'm gonna write this place and see if there's a way I could keep my CHAD with something like this- that is one of my accessories I do not want to part with. That little windshield doesn't look all that great sticking out of the fairing but I'm totally liking the setup of the speakers, etc on it. Thanks for the info:clap:

Edit to Add: So what does everyone think of this? Thumbs up or the puking symbol?

I remember seeing that set up a few months ago. I don't like the windshield, but the fairing looks good. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty expensive system. I would really like to have a system where I could just plug in my ipod and have the choice of external speakers or listen on ear buds. I know immortal has a sound system, but I think you lose the entire trunk.

fred
09-12-2009, 11:05 AM
i saw this one at the Montreal Moto show in the spring.. i agree the windshield was not for me either but the fairing was pretty nice

Tom in NM
09-12-2009, 11:14 AM

I am not a fan of fairings, BUT, I finally had some time to think about this while feeding my Spyder bugs yesterday.

I saw this on the Direct Line Parts site;
The Cranker Bag
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/pics/KUR-4161-CRANKERBAG-LG.jpg
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=9106&str=320

But, then I thought, why not just go to a car stereo shop and have them install the speakers directly on your Spyder like this:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=495&pictureid=5956
(apologies for the rough mock up)
Depending on the amp you get, it should fit under the Y console too, but under the seat should be a slam dunk. Power wiring should be straight forward. AUX and iPod plug-ing could go up by the handle bars with a docking base, either permanent or Velcro attached. I think that placement would make the "controls" easier to get to also.

Depending on the speakers and grillwork options, you might have several options for the shape (and maybe colors) of the speaker inserts. I understand that a lot of them carry weatherproof speaker sets. A lot would depend on your local shops.

I think the speakers pointing up towards you like this would give better sound. But, you could test it out before modifying the Y yoke or console or whatever they are calling it.

The wiring should be pigtailed to a set of plugs so when you remove the Y it is just one thing in one spot to unplug.

So, a removable tank bag sound system or modding it so it is integrated.

Maybe not what you are looking for, but offered in the spirit of being constructive and without any Madonna jokes.

Tom

mdr
09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I am not a fan of fairings, BUT, I finally had some time to think about this while feeding my Spyder bugs yesterday.

The Cranker Bag

But, then I thought, why not just go to a car stereo shop and have them install the speakers directly on your Spyder like this:
Depending on the amp you get, it should fit under the Y console too, but under the seat should be a slam dunk. Power wiring should be straight forward. AUX and iPod plug-ing could go up by the handle bars with a docking base, either permanent or Velcro attached. I think that placement would make the "controls" easier to get to also.

Depending on the speakers and grillwork options, you might have several options for the shape (and maybe colors) of the speaker inserts. I understand that a lot of them carry weatherproof speaker sets. A lot would depend on your local shops.

I think the speakers pointing up towards you like this would give better sound. But, you could test it out before modifying the Y yoke or console or whatever they are calling it.

The wiring should be pigtailed to a set of plugs so when you remove the Y it is just one thing in one spot to unplug.

Maybe not what you are looking for, but offered in the spirit of being constructive and without any Madonna jokes.

Tom

Seems like a possible alternative to more expensive systems, but don't you need to have a metal tank since it connects via magnets? I'm also wondering if 40 watts would be high enough output at higher speeds?

Smylinacha
09-12-2009, 08:45 PM

The Cranker Bag

Tom

I like the cranker bag! but how would I get it to stick to the tank hmmmmm. I found some marine speaker I like and I already have an amp could end up that way eventually. Just thought some sort of dash would be cool. I like the one from Canada but I don't like the windshield that is built in to it. But cool idea w/ that cranker bag thing!:2thumbs:

Tom in NM
09-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I like the cranker bag! but how would I get it to stick to the tank hmmmmm. I found some marine speaker I like and I already have an amp could end up that way eventually. Just thought some sort of dash would be cool. I like the one from Canada but I don't like the windshield that is built in to it. But cool idea w/ that cranker bag thing!:2thumbs:

The bag they show has some O rings, with some short flat bungie cords, they could just clip onto the Y .

Honestly, I don't know what 40watts would sound like, but if you have an amp and speakers, you could do your own bag and have a cord to the fuse box or directly to the battery. The speakers would be closer to you on the Y instead of in a fairing/dash. Easy enough to test. Your own personal custom toon boom bag.

There may be others that are more powerful, but that vendor is one of the SypderLover site sponsors. I didn't really look any further.

Tom

Smylinacha
09-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Must be pretty new cuz I can't find any reviews but this one on youtube which is pretty cool.....Also saw on the sportech website that it gives you optional straps to mount to plastic

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

DannyS
09-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Smylinacha
Why don't you get those robo-brackets and mount them to the HR fairing, toss the windshield screen then you can have a good looking windshield with the function of the CHAD?:doorag:

Smylinacha
09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm gonna stick to earbuds for now. getting cooler time for 3/4 helmet soon with buds but when summer comes I need some sort of tunes.... i like the cranker bag :2thumbs: I can't give up my CHAD

draboo
09-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Hope the "little trailer" isnt acquainted with Wanda Sykes!! :D:D