PDA

View Full Version : Update on (MY) Verdestein QUATRAC5 tire wear Yours may vary

teninospyder
08-31-2020, 08:59 AM
Just reporting MY experience here. :ohyea:

Verdestein Quad5 tires. 175/55/R15 Frts. 205/60/R15 Rear

Fronts after 13,441 miles and careful measuring of treads, the tires now both read 8/9/8 (32nds). Now carry 15/16 PSI.
The Rear after 13,067 miles reads 666 (32nds). Now carry 17/18 PSI.
Always ride 2 up at +/- 390 total pounds. :yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-31-2020, 09:16 AM
Just reporting MY experience here. :ohyea:

Verdestein Quad5 tires. 175/55/R15 Frts. 205/60/R15 Rear

Fronts after 13,441 miles and careful measuring of treads, the tires now both read 8/9/8 (32nds). Now carry 15/16 PSI.
The Rear after 13,067 miles reads 666 (32nds). Now carry 17/18 PSI.
Always ride 2 up at +/- 390 total pounds. :yikes:

Thank you for this info ...... folks want to know the real life experience of tire performance :thumbup:...............Mike

teninospyder
08-31-2020, 09:45 AM
Thank you for this info ...... folks want to know the real life experience of tire performance :thumbup:...............Mike

You are welcome

Steve W.
08-31-2020, 12:13 PM
It's nice to know what they read NOW, is there any chance you recorded what they were when NEW?

Ex-Rocket
08-31-2020, 02:34 PM
I'm waiting on some results of the new Kenda K2 tire.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

teninospyder
09-01-2020, 09:46 AM
It's nice to know what they read NOW, is there any chance you recorded what they were when NEW?

Sure.................10s across the board.

Steve W.
09-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Thanks. :thumbup:

That's what mine measured, too.

teninospyder
04-11-2021, 09:51 AM
Thanks to the travel restrictions and other things about the last year+, we haven't been on ANY extended trips since Sept 2019,:banghead: but we have managed "local" travel for a few miles. :clap: In the past I have added my 2 cents to the site about experience with the Verdestein Quatrac 5 tires as recommended initally by BlueKnight911. This is just an update as of 04/10/21for those interested. To note too..........we ALWAYS ride 2 up, and :yikes: at Spyder limits, if you get my meaning !!

Front tires
Quatrac 5 - 175/55R15
Tire Pressure - 16PSI
Miles on tires - 15,637 miles
Tread depth readings across tires - ALL 8/32.

Rear Tire
Quatrac 5 - 205/60R15
Tire Pressure - 18PSI
Miles on tires - 15,263 miles
Tread depth readings across tires - ALL 6/32.

Snoking1127
04-11-2021, 09:55 AM
Thanks to the travel restrictions and other things about the last year+, we haven't been on ANY extended trips since Sept 2019,:banghead: but we have managed "local" travel for a few miles. :clap: In the past I have added my 2 cents to the site about experience with the Verdestein Quatrac 5 tires as recommended initally by BlueKnight911. This is just an update as of 04/10/21for those interested. To note too..........we ALWAYS ride 2 up, and :yikes: at Spyder limits, if you get my meaning !!

Front tires
Quatrac 5 - 175/55R15
Tire Pressure - 16PSI

Rear Tire
Quatrac 5 - 205/60R15
Tire Pressure - 18PSI

I had a lady on a FB spyder page tell me yesterday how wrong I was for having "car" tires on the front of my Spyder! Some just like to drink the Kenda Koolaid!

teninospyder
04-11-2021, 10:02 AM
I had a lady on a FB spyder page tell me yesterday how wrong I was for having "car" tires on the front of my Spyder! Some just like to drink the Kenda Koolaid!

More than one way now adays to get drunk:yes:

Lew L
04-11-2021, 10:04 AM

The Q5's on the front of my 2014 RTS have been great!!!!

RICZ
04-11-2021, 11:22 AM
I'm in a few FB Spyder groups and the lack of Spyder knowledge and the misinformation handed out there is overwhelming. I have many times suggested this forum to them.

troop
04-11-2021, 11:48 AM
I'm in a few FB Spyder groups and the lack of Spyder knowledge and the misinformation handed out there is overwhelming. I have many times suggested this forum to them.

Yup .. Totally baffling

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-11-2021, 01:23 PM

Front tires
Quatrac 5 - 175/55R15
Tire Pressure - 16PSI

Rear Tire
Quatrac 5 - 205/60R15
Tire Pressure - 18PSI

That' s pretty impressive for wear considering your mileage .... I think they start at 10/32's ..... and I know your avg. load so it's looking good .....Thanks for much for the up-dates ..... I discoverd this tire about a year ago and have strongly recommended it since then ..... :thumbup::thumbup:.... Mike :ohyea:

teninospyder
04-11-2021, 04:21 PM
That' s pretty impressive for wear considering your mileage .... I think they start at 10/32's ..... and I know your avg. load so it's looking good .....Thanks for much for the up-dates ..... I discoverd this tire about a year ago and have strongly recommended it since then ..... :thumbup::thumbup:.... Mike :ohyea:

As you know.............because of YOU I got these tires, and as always I appreciate your input and suggestions along the way.
Stay safe !!

milryder
04-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Based on discussions on this forum I'm thinking of switching out my stock Kendas on my '21 RT. I do some fairly long rides and a 2,000 mile one this summer. Still have to question why I might be doing this but the info here sounds compelling. Presently have 1000 miles on the bike. It seems to track pretty well, some vibration perhaps still in the mirrors after the mirror "fix" so maybe that is tire balance, roundness, etc. Do plan at some point to get the Rolo alignment but would wait till new tires if I did so.

My question is, and I don't have prior Spyder experience to compare, what are the advantages I could expect from changing to the Q5s? Is it worth it or should I just rebalance what I have and get the Rolo. Also, should I stick with the stock 165-55-R15 or go with 175-55-R15? I plan to go to my Discount Tire dealer today and inquire if they have a small cone to balance that wheel/tire combination. I would take the wheels in off the bike.

Finally if I have the Rolo done at Lamonster should I consider the Baja Ron sway bar at same time? I understand the newer Spyders may not benefit as much from this as earlier models? Most of my rides are straighter roads vs a lot of curves.

teninospyder
04-12-2021, 09:04 AM
Based on discussions on this forum I'm thinking of switching out my stock Kendas on my '21 RT. I do some fairly long rides and a 2,000 mile one this summer. Still have to question why I might be doing this but the info here sounds compelling. Presently have 1000 miles on the bike. It seems to track pretty well, some vibration perhaps still in the mirrors after the mirror "fix" so maybe that is tire balance, roundness, etc. Do plan at some point to get the Rolo alignment but would wait till new tires if I did so.

My question is, and I don't have prior Spyder experience to compare, what are the advantages I could expect from changing to the Q5s? Is it worth it or should I just rebalance what I have and get the Rolo. Also, should I stick with the stock 165-55-R15 or go with 175-55-R15? I plan to go to my Discount Tire dealer today and inquire if they have a small cone to balance that wheel/tire combination. I would take the wheels in off the bike.

Finally if I have the Rolo done at Lamonster should I consider the Baja Ron sway bar at same time? I understand the newer Spyders may not benefit as much from this as earlier models? Most of my rides are straighter roads vs a lot of curves.

I yield to others who have done things you refer to here. Most I have not. I will say "my opinion" is if you will only have 3,000 miles on after this summer, I would be using that time to think about what you really need to be happy with the ride and experiences you had. Just my opinion.

milryder
04-12-2021, 11:23 AM
I'll certainly have more than 3,000 after the summer but I agree don't rush the after market. Just want to optimize the ride where it makes sense esp for long trips where comfort plays increasing role.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Let me assist you on this post .... The Lazer alignment is done with the tires not moving, so even if your TIRES have issues, it WON'T effect getting an accurate Lazer measurement ...... I hate Kenda tires for a number of reasons ( found in my other posts ) ..... however I'm FRUGAL and if they were mine, as long as the problem is not Severe, I would wait until they wore out. This is going to occur at about 11,000mi for the rear, but the fronts could last 22,000 + miles...... Kenda's are weakly made but not dangerous .... " Q-5's " I have 165/60 R-15 size, this costs the least and there is NO good reason to Wider ....... try TireRack, Vulcan or Simple tire .... good luck .... No matter what AUTO you get - Peter & recommend 15 to 17 psi. front ( 17 if you ride aggressive ) .... 18-19 psi, ( 19 if you have a passenger most of the time .... Mike :thumbup:

milryder
04-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Thanks for that. Did speak with my tire dealer and he can get the Q5s even if he has to order from Tire Rack. Said he could mount those and do a road force balance. Will hold off on that for awhile. You are correct on the alignment, has to do with wheels not tires. Not sure I have symptoms of alignment issues at this point as it tracks pretty well.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2021, 01:31 PM
Thanks for that. Did speak with my tire dealer and he can get the Q5s even if he has to order from Tire Rack. Said he could mount those and do a road force balance. Will hold off on that for awhile. You are correct on the alignment, has to do with wheels not tires. Not sure I have symptoms of alignment issues at this point as it tracks pretty well.

Among the many, many issues with Kenda tires getting them to balance has been a sore spot with many who have them ..... try a " Road Force " spin balance .... Good luck ....

uralski
04-14-2021, 03:29 PM
I ordered Vredestien tires a month ago. The 175-55-15 were on back order talked to them today it might be another month they don't have 165-55 listed. Next best option for front tires?

troop
04-14-2021, 03:32 PM
I ordered Vredestien tires a month ago. The 175-55-15 were on back order talked to them today it might be another month they don't have 165-55 listed. Next best option for front tires?

Right here ... Will work perfectly.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+5&partnum=66HR5QT5&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

milryder
04-14-2021, 03:34 PM
I ordered Vredestine 165-60-R15 fronts for my '21 RT via Discount Tire. 3-4 day delivery. Stock was 165-55-R15 but slightly taller will still fit.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-14-2021, 03:50 PM
I ordered Vredestine 165-60-R15 fronts for my '21 RT via Discount Tire. 3-4 day delivery. Stock was 165-55-R15 but slightly taller will still fit.

Thanks for that info on Discount Tire ..... I will add them to my list of sellers ..... I'm glad they are selling them now :clap::clap::clap::clap.... Mike :thumbup::thumbup:..... Well I just went to their Website they don't list them :dontknow::gaah:

AZCanAm
04-14-2021, 04:25 PM
I just got my Vreds from Tire rack laterally in one day for $185 shipped (165/60/15). They have a where house in Nevada one state over. Very impressive.

milryder
04-14-2021, 04:47 PM
just went to their Website they don't list them

DT was getting them out of Louisiana so I don't know if they came from Tire Rack or somewhere else. He mentioned TR having them but not sure his source.

AZCanAm
04-14-2021, 04:59 PM
Get them from Tire Rack. They will even let you know when they will arrive. Great customer service.

www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+5&partnum=66HR5QT5

By the way, does anybody know if replacing the sway bar & sway bar links effects alignment?

Peter Aawen
04-14-2021, 05:39 PM
Get them from Tire Rack. They will even let you know when they will arrive. Great customer service.

www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+5&partnum=66HR5QT5

By the way, does anybody know if replacing the sway bar & sway bar links effects alignment?

I've fixed the link in your post AZ :thumbup: And since I'm on the subject, just for the info of those who care, whenever you add links, please just type or copy them in without adding anything like quotation marks or any other delimiters/additions, ie. xwww.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+5&partnum=66HR5QT5! (I inserted/added the beginning 'x' & ending '!' in that example just to achieve the 'right' display in this instance for demonstration purposes ;) ) By not adding anything when you type/copy a link in, the format of that link lets the platform software recognise the 'properly inserted' link 'wxw..... - .....5QT5' address as a URL & so it will automatically add the URL delimiters when you hit submit, meaning that once displayed in your post, your link will show in red and work properly! :ohyea: But if you insert or add anything to either/both end/s, like those quotation marks or any other 'additions', including URL or anything else (as in my example) then all that automatic stuff won't happen & your link won't display in a way that'll readily work! :banghead:

As for your 'replacing the sway bar & sway bar links' question, NO, installing those should not have any effect on the wheel alignment, simply because you shouldn't need to touch anything besides the sway bar & the links to do that install; and unlike the steering links, tie rods, etc, those sway bar components aren't involved with & so won't change any of the wheel alignment settings - but beware, significantly adjusting the pre-load on your front shocks so that the Spyder/Ryker's static ride height is changed significantly could well cause the alignment to change! :lecturef_smilie:

rjinaz86323
04-14-2021, 05:58 PM
just use the link icon to the left of the email icon.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+5& partnum=66HR5QT5

AZCanAm
04-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Thanks so much guys. I guess ignorance is not bliss.

ButterSmooth
04-14-2021, 08:26 PM

Kenda 165/55R15 rotations per mile 876.9
Vredestein 165/60R15 rotations per mile 884.6

Based on the manufacturer's rpm specs the Vredestein is smaller in diameter than the Kenda. Who know which is actually bigger. If the size spec is inaccurate, so probably is the revs per mile.

Snoking1127
04-14-2021, 08:45 PM

Based on the manufacturer's rpm specs the Vredestein is smaller in diameter than the Kenda. Who know which is actually bigger. If the size spec is inaccurate, so probably is the revs per mile.

Static and rolling radius are in play. With the lighter load of the Spyder the static and rolling radius may be greater on the Vredesteins, if the published numbers are for a fully loaded tire. This would effect the rev per mile.

EdMat
04-14-2021, 10:54 PM

Not sure which is actually bigger, but I do know that 205/65R15 at 814 Revs/Mile put the speedometer almost spot on.

teninospyder
06-06-2021, 08:38 PM
As some will note, I have periodically posted the mileage and tread depth readings on my Quadtrac5 tires. This is just and update to those posts.
Note new tires are 10/32s

Front tires are 175/55/R15 running 15/16 PSI.
Tread depth measured horizontally across the tires in the 3 main grooves is currently 8/32s in each groove.
Tires now have 17,743 miles on them.

Rear tire is 205/60/R15 running 18 PSI.
Tread depth measured horizontally across the tire in the 3 main grooves is currently 6-5-6 32s. In earlier posts I may have shown 4 grooves across, due to not thinking on my data sheet when copying from the Kenda data to my new tires in earlier posts.
This Tire now has 17,369 miles on it.

note we "always" ride 2 up.....and Blueknight911 knows "we push the envelope on "total weight allowance" :yikes: :roflblack::ohyea::yes:
I try and hold 70-75 PSI in the AOC via Shrader Valve under seat.

Again, just sharing data.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-06-2021, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the update :clap: .... The rear is wearing a bit faster but that is pretty much normal for Spyders .... especially the RT ......... Mike :thumbup:

teninospyder
01-08-2023, 10:10 PM
Periodically, I have posted the wear measurements for the Verdestein Quatrac5 tires on our 2014 RTL spyder.
I only do this as information showing OUR experience - yours may vary based on many factors :dontknow:
Oh Yeh........we always ride 2 up...and at the "Recommended" maxweight limit :rolleyes::lecturef_smilie::gaah::ohyea::banghead: :banghead:
OK.........now

Tire pressures front and rear are run at.... 17 PSI fronts and 18 PSI rear.
Spyder OD reads 56,872 today.

The front tires are 175x55xR15 from tire rack, mounted on rims by local tire dealer. 03/23/19 at 26,676 Spyder miles.
Tires currently have 30,196 miles on them. Tread depths in 32nds measured 3 places across each tire are 7/8/7 on the left and 8/8/7 on the right.

The rear tire is 205x60x15 from tire rack, mounted by motorcycle dealer (all major brands, who will do ANY work requested, including tire changes!) while doing requested annual maintenance work plus a few other items I wanted done. 10/27/21.
A VERY professional dealer to work with. 100 mi away, but it was/is worth it !
OD read 50,575 at tire install. Tire currently has 6297 miles on it. Tread depth reads all 8s in three places across the tread.

Hope this is useful tire info for someone. :ohyea::dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-09-2023, 12:06 AM
Periodically, I have posted the wear measurements for the Verdestein Quatrac5 tires on our 2014 RTL spyder.
I only do this as information showing OUR experience - yours may vary based on many factors :dontknow:
Oh Yeh........we always ride 2 up...and at the "Recommended" maxweight limit :rolleyes::lecturef_smilie::gaah::ohyea::banghead: :banghead:
OK.........now

Tire pressures front and rear are run at.... 17 PSI fronts and 18 PSI rear.
Spyder OD reads 56,872 today.

The front tires are 175x55xR15 from tire rack, mounted on rims by local tire dealer. 03/23/19 at 26,676 Spyder miles.
Tires currently have 30,196 miles on them. Tread depths in 32nds measured 3 places across each tire are 7/8/7 on the left and 8/8/7 on the right.

The rear tire is 205x60x15 from tire rack, mounted by motorcycle dealer (all major brands, who will do ANY work requested, including tire changes!) while doing requested annual maintenance work plus a few other items I wanted done. 10/27/21.
A VERY professional dealer to work with. 100 mi away, but it was/is worth it !
OD read 50,575 at tire install. Tire currently has 6297 miles on it. Tread depth reads all 8s in three places across the tread.

Hope this is useful tire info for someone. :ohyea::dontknow:

Thanks again for your diligence to keep us informed ..... from what I read the fronts should last FOREVER !!!!!!. The rear has way more wear, but I think 30,000 mi. + is doable. ... I think the Vredestein's start at 10/32 depth ...... Mike :thumbup:

teninospyder
01-09-2023, 09:44 AM
Thanks again for your diligence to keep us informed ..... from what I read the fronts should last FOREVER !!!!!!. The rear has way more wear, but I think 30,000 mi. + is doable. ... I think the Vredestein's start at 10/32 depth ...... Mike :thumbup:

10/32 is correct for starting tread depth.
By the way.......I notice I missed an interum rear tire install prior to the one I reported (info on the reported current tire is correct)

I had replaced the original Kenda rear at 12,111 miles before our first long trip on the spyder. just cautious about a new ride (Spyder).
I replaced that second Kenda tire with the first rear Quatrac5 at 27,039 miles, so the second Kenda only lasted 14,928 miles (and it was down to wear limits for sure).
This first rear Quatrac5 tire was replaced at the noted earlier miles of 50,575. That first rear Quatrac 5 tire went 23,536 miles before I replaced it on 10/27/21 as noted originally.
I apologize for not getting it complete the first time around, and I hope this is clear enough and helpful for others to see the real mileage results from my tire swaps so far.
Our Spyder will never see Kenda tires again !!

teninospyder
06-12-2023, 10:46 AM
In the past I have periodically reported on the tire wear I was getting on our 2014RTL Spyder with the Tires recommended by "Blueknight911" at the time........ The Quatrac5 to be exact.

The last 2 years have not been good (for various reasons) for our "total accumulated riding mileage numbers", but yesterday I went out and measured the tread depths on the front and rear Q5 tires as I have always done periodically with the old Kendas and the new Q5s.
We ARE going for 2 weeks (to Oregon and CA coast - and back) but who knows if even that will hold. :gaah:
That history is in the earlier posts by me, but here is the latest data I recorded. Hope it helps someone in some way. :roflblack:
Incidently, we always ride "2 up" (or I'm told I can't go !! - just kidding Marci).

Summary: New Q5 Fronts were installed 3/23/19. Now have 32,590 miles on them and reading 7 or 8/32s across the tread in multiple readings.
New Q5 Rear installed 10/27/21. Now have 8,691 miles on it and reading all 8/32s across the tread in multiple places.
Tire pressure is 17/18 psi fronts and 18 psi rear.

Again... just reporting my results. :clap: :thumbup: Hope you have a SAFE and FUN summer/fall season :yes:

RangerRick
06-12-2023, 10:59 AM
Have fun, sounds like you will pass thru my area (Coos Bay) on your way south

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-12-2023, 01:31 PM
Everyone here Should thank-you for that up-date .... I'm impressed, especially considering it has possibly the best Wet & Dry traction ratings. It also has a softer ride feel .... good luck .... give my best to Marci :thumbup::thumbup: ......Mike :ohyea:

IGETAROUND
06-13-2023, 01:58 PM
FWIW I had 22,324 miles on my rear when it was changed.

Al in Kazoo

Pirate
06-13-2023, 05:25 PM

Was it Susan? There are a few on the forums that no matter what you tell them, they know it all. :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-13-2023, 07:48 PM

Actually those numbers are directly from the manufacturer .... but you have it backwards - a smaller tire will have MORE revs per mile NOT LESS ... example how many revs per mile for farm tractor tire that is 8 ft. tall , a lot less than a car tire 2 ft. tall ..... the difference in % will be almost negligible .... according to your numbers the difference is 7.6 inches this is the ONE MILE difference ..... good luck ...Mike :thumbup: