PDA

View Full Version : Using maps on cell phone

Jcummins
06-06-2021, 07:26 PM
I always have use Google Maps for navigation reasons in the car and thought it would be natural to use on the spider. Well it's not as most of you probably realize. Two things became evident. 1 the display on the cell phone will time out and go dark and you have to touch it in order to bring it back. 2 you can't see the screen in day time it just fades out.

Is there a solution for this using the cell phone or do I have to go to a GPS unit of some kind?

Snoking1127
06-06-2021, 07:33 PM
I have no issues using my Google Pixel 3A in the car or on the spyder.

https://i.imgur.com/quZqlu7l.jpg

Snoking1127
06-06-2021, 07:49 PM
Plan a route on the desk top and send it to the phone. Turn by turn directions in the helmet.

Flamewinger
06-06-2021, 10:14 PM
Sygic is one of a few GPS apps available that downloads maps to the phone so when you are not in cell service, it still works. GPS apps stay on as it's part of the way they work. Sygic just got an update and really looks much better.

pegasus1300
06-06-2021, 11:21 PM
If your phone didn't time out in the car it shouldn't on the Spyder. As to the the sun washing out your screen the brightness on your screen is adjustable. If that isn't enough you may have to make a shade for your phone.

CloverHillCrawler
06-07-2021, 05:45 AM
Sygic is one of a few GPS apps available that downloads maps to the phone so when you are not in cell service, it still works. GPS apps stay on as it's part of the way they work. Sygic just got an update and really looks much better.

With Google maps you can set areas to download on wifi to have cached while offline. I have Pennsylvania, Maryland, DC West Va. and Va. , and North Carolina set up in my offline cache. My primary though while in service is waze for traffic conditions. I like to plan my rides away from congestion unless I have a certain destination in mind.

knobby
06-07-2021, 06:12 AM
If you launch Google Maps to simply see a current map, it will 'time out'. But if you have 'started a destination' it should stay active on the screen. As mentioned above, I create routes on a desktop PC, then click the link: "send directions to your phone", BUT I then choose my Gmail account so they reside in my inbox. I find it easier to store them in my Gmail so I can access them from my other devices or pass them on.

bikerbillone
06-07-2021, 06:40 AM
I like to see a 'current' map of where I am, so with my iPhone I face a time out, I suppose a GPS is my only answer.

Snoking1127
06-07-2021, 06:55 AM

Google Maps allows that also by region. You can select the size of the region your self.

Snoking1127
06-07-2021, 06:58 AM
Google Maps allows that also by region. You can select the size of the region your self.

Doesn't the phone have a display timeout feature?

Bartender
06-07-2021, 08:30 AM
I use gps on my Iphone exclusively after I became frustrated with Garmin on my bike. If you are using an Iphone you can prevent the display going dark on you after some time, go to settings, then display and brightness and then to auto lock, then select never and it won't go to sleep on you. As far as brightness is concerned, you can prevent auto dimming by going to settings, then accessiblilty, then display and text size and turn off auto brightness. That way you can prevent the phone deciding to dim the display in bright sunlight, however it is not fool proof and sometimes with still auto adjust and you just need to set the brightness back up.

On another subject, I am interested in learning more about Sygic. I am not looking for another guidance app as I am happy with what I have but a source of maps that I can scan to decide for myself the options I want to take. I usually use the phone for guidance and carry paper maps to decide where I want to venture to discover new places to see but there is inadequate room for a tank bag or map pouch to carry the paper maps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

beerandchips
06-07-2021, 08:36 AM
I like to see a 'current' map of where I am, so with my iPhone I face a time out, I suppose a GPS is my only answer.

I have an Iphone7 plus. I have the screen set to "Auto-Lock=NEVER" It won't time out. Just make sure you have constant power to the phone so batter does not run out. Also, I might add that I use a data blocker and don't use BRPCrap I mean connect.

I don't know what phone you have but they all have a similar feature to disable auto-lock.

Cheers,

Steve

blacklightning
06-07-2021, 08:50 AM
I use google maps on my phone all the time and never had any issues. My 2016 F3T did not come with navigation, so adding a phone holder and using the phone works great for me. On another note, I have used the $900 GPS unit on my 2018 BMW K1600 B, and it is always off in comparison to the phone navigation system.

Jcummins
06-07-2021, 09:13 AM

Exactly what I'm talking about.

K80Shooter
06-07-2021, 10:47 AM
I didn't read everything so sorry if it's been mentioned but I found out that if I use android auto my phone will not time out. If I only use google maps it will.

Jdr00ejr
06-07-2021, 12:18 PM
Waze does not timeout the phone even when not in route. I use Waze for the hazard/police/traffic alerts. Sometimes I have a route programmed in and sometimes I don't. when traveling, I download the area into Google the night before and use Google if I loose cell signal - but you do have to have a destination keyed in or it will time out.

billybovine
06-07-2021, 06:17 PM
You need to put Google maps into driving mode. Then the screen will not time out. Also you can create a driving icon so it starts directly in driving mode. Sorry it's been so long ago I don't remember how I did that. I have mostly switched to Waze now.

milryder
06-07-2021, 07:06 PM
Despite advice here my Samsung s9 plus still does not get bright enough to see well while moving. It’s on brightest mode. At times I prefer goggle maps for directions on my phone to my XT gps which is very bright under all conditions.

Motorcycledave
06-07-2021, 08:04 PM
I always have use Google Maps for navigation reasons in the car and thought it would be natural to use on the spider. Well it's not as most of you probably realize. Two things became evident. 1 the display on the cell phone will time out and go dark and you have to touch it in order to bring it back. 2 you can't see the screen in day time it just fades out.

Is there a solution for this using the cell phone or do I have to go to a GPS unit of some kind?

Yes there is.... change to an iPhone I use mine all the time it has never timed out or gone dark

Gedge
06-08-2021, 04:31 AM
I use the free app Android Auto in my truck as well as on Spyder. Launching Android Auto you have maps, music, and phone contacts all on that same screen and it stays on always.

RichardTribble
06-08-2021, 09:08 AM
I just purchased 2014 RT Se6 from my brother and pick it up this week and he upgraded to the 2021. He uses Co-Pilot on his iPad and added an universal GPS which has better coverage than the phone wi-fi. We both bought iPad mounting brackets from Mier (Like WalMart here) and he has attached the base to the console but for the 2014 he fabricated a mounting unit. He has the upgraded voice but the free version works just a good. We used it going to FL last January.
Looking forward to hooking mine up and ryding this weekend. Will use co-pilot first and maybe try my phone to try it out to.
OH, there is a setting on the phone, iPad, etc that allows you to set the time out. When using my phone for things requiring more than a minute I just set it to 'Never shut off' so it stays on. Uses the battery up pretty fast tho.

honsfun
06-08-2021, 10:03 AM
https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/ this thread will probably answer all questions re cell phone for gps. Hope it helps

Snoking1127
06-08-2021, 10:44 AM
You need to put Google maps into driving mode. Then the screen will not time out. Also you can create a driving icon so it starts directly in driving mode. Sorry it's been so long ago I don't remember how I did that. I have mostly switched to Waze now.

Thanks, I did that. Hold down maps icon and then push the four blocks on top right and select driving icon and move it to a home screen.

https://i.imgur.com/rKq3yyCl.jpg

eschmid2
06-08-2021, 11:45 AM
https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/ this thread will probably answer all questions re cell phone for gps. Hope it helps

Great thread, thanks or sharing! Never thought of using a high grade rugged old cell phone for GPS and didn't realize iPhone will overheat at 97 degrees which seems very likely in the glove box during the summer. Will see how things go using my iPhone this summer and if issues the duraforce may be a good alternative to a Garmin

Peteoz
06-08-2021, 04:31 PM
You can also look at buying the Tom Tom Go app for your phone, rather than a GPS “unit”, if you would rather keep everything on your phone. You can trial it free for a month, and then it costs something like $40 a year, which includes upgrades. It works off satellite, so you never have to worry about losing phone signal…….just one gotcha…..and this applies to both a physical GPS and the phone app…..if you choose to get live traffic, that comes in through your mobile phone via the mobile network, and it can up your phone charge a bit.

Pete

Flamewinger
06-08-2021, 10:33 PM
Sygic is under $20 for everything. A little more for world.

https://eshop.sygic.com/en/