PDA

View Full Version : Ground Effects lighting ?

Briorick
06-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Hey All,

Have a question regarding my Ground Effect Lighting.

First off let me say that the Ground Effects with Remote, I'm assuming aftermarket here, came with the Spyder when I bought it.

I have noticed that twice now that the lights have came on automatically while sitting in the garage. 1st time no big deal, 2nd time I took out the battery to the remote.......but mysteriously came back on today, without the battery installed. This usually happens about 2 weeks apart, if that makes any difference. So now I'm scratching my head. My first thought was that possibly another transmitter is in the area causing this to come on. Possibly, but also questionable.

I'm not sure how they are wired into the system as of yet. Hoping that someone here has had, or has heard of this before. Thankfully I am using my battery tender.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

2dogs
06-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Possibly a receiver issue, and not the transmitter.

Briorick
06-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Possibly a receiver issue, and not the transmitter.

Thanks, 2dogs. You could be on to something here. I didn't give one thought about the receiver possibly being the culprit for this lighting. Although, I'm not sure where to even start to look for a receiver on these strips. Any suggestions?

Jdr00ejr
06-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Do you know which "system" is installed? There's a bunch of random Chinese versions out there. Many use the same frequency and errant local frequencies can cause issues. I always wire a physical switch into the lighting I install so that power can be turned off and the receiver isn't waiting on any signal when not on.

2dogs
06-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Do you know which "system" is installed? There's a bunch of random Chinese versions out there. Many use the same frequency and errant local frequencies can cause issues. I always wire a physical switch into the lighting I install so that power can be turned off and the receiver isn't waiting on any signal when not on.

Great idea and simple solution if that's the problem, which is likely the cause.

Briorick
06-02-2021, 12:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing as well. Possibly a local transmitter close by, or in passing by my home. Not sure which system is installed, but I did read about possibly a switch being installed. I will have to look and see if there is a switch installed somewhere on the the chassis.

Now that I think about it, I live in small town which has many ATVs with ground effects lighting roaming about. This could very well be the culprit (s) causing this. Got me thinking now. Thanks for the heads up.

Jdr00ejr
06-02-2021, 01:58 PM
I typically put the receiver box under the black plastic covers at the top of the frunk. It's close to the battery and a good point to route all the lights to. When I do an RT like that - I use a dash switch replacement and put the physical switch in the dash - but I'm guessing most installing the cheaper Chinese systems wouldn't go that far. Many of the cheap Chinese systems don't come with a physical switch. My preferred kit does.

Good luck with your hunt.

Briorick
06-02-2021, 02:49 PM
I typically put the receiver box under the black plastic covers at the top of the frunk. It's close to the battery and a good point to route all the lights to. When I do an RT like that - I use a dash switch replacement and put the physical switch in the dash - but I'm guessing most installing the cheaper Chinese systems wouldn't go that far. Many of the cheap Chinese systems don't come with a physical switch. My preferred kit does.

Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure what type system is installed, as it came with the Spyder when I bought it.

No switch to be seen. I'm leaning towards "no switch" available.

Am having no luck finding the receiver as of yet. I did look under the frunk liner, in the battery compartment and under the black cover areas at the top of the frunk. Also tried following the ground effect wires to see where they lead, but no go. I have a feeling I'm going to be removing some tupperware to locate this one. The hunt begins.

Thanks again for your tips and suggestions. Most helpful. When I locate the receiver, and eventually I will, I will definitely be installing a switch.

tntnj
06-02-2021, 03:15 PM
It sounds like the LEDs are wired to the battery , if you could you could wire it to the accessory circuit that turns on when the bike is running. Just a thought.

Jdr00ejr
06-03-2021, 07:47 AM
It sounds like the LEDs are wired to the battery , if you could you could wire it to the accessory circuit that turns on when the bike is running. Just a thought.

When installing ground effect lighting - most people want to be able to turn it on when hanging out at a bike show/etc. This is why they are wired directly to the battery (and why I put a switch in line). If you wire to the accessory circuit you will need your key on to have them on.

Briorick
06-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Just an update to my lighting dilemma.

Lo and behold, once again the ground effect lights were on this morning when I looked into the garage. So I went into search mode. Found the Receiver under the left side of the tupperware. I am so thankful I installed the Magic Mirrors. :2thumbs: Makes removing that tupperware a piece of cake now.

There was plenty of extra lighting wire bundled, so I was able to take and extend, and re-route, the Receiver into the seat compartment. Also to be able to plug and unplug as wanted. I, now, at least feel better knowing I wont have a dead battery should I be out and about and the lights decide to light up on their own.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, it surely helps.

pidjones
06-04-2021, 07:37 AM
Many years ago a contractor built a housing development near Charleston, SC. Used garage door openers on every house from the same manufacture. They not only had about five different codes so that you could open neighbor's garages, but so poorly designed that planes landing at the nearby airport would cycle eveyone's doors!