PDA

View Full Version : No more howl

Pogo
09-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I followed Lamonster's tip in the How to Step by Step subforum <http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5974> on adjusting my belt alignment last night.

This morning I rode to work with no more howl.:ohyea:

The biggest hassle I had was getting hold of a 36mm socket to undo and subsequently re-tension the rear axle. I borrowed one to do the job, and I have ordered one for the garage.

Thanks Lamonster and all the forumites who contribute. This <virtual> place rocks!:2thumbs:

Cheers;

Pogo

BeRight
09-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Glad it worked out for you. Did you change tension and or distance from flange? What is the torque setting for the axle nut.

I was hoping it was a 30mm socket like my motorcycle - yet another huge socket I have to buy.:gaah:

Pogo
09-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Glad it worked out for you. Did you change tension and or distance from flange? What is the torque setting for the axle nut.

I was hoping it was a 30mm socket like my motorcycle - yet another huge socket I have to buy.:gaah:

I changed the the distance from the flange, as Lamont said in his original post. I backed off the left adjuster a quarter turn, and pulled on the right adjuster a quarter turn, then turned the wheel forward a lot by hand (because it was after 9 at night and I like my neighbours). The gap opened up to about 1mm in a couple of turns. I rode to work this morning (about 17km), checked the gap when I got here and it was a little less, but I had been turning sharply in the car park.

I was hoping it was a 27mm like the axle nut on my Kawasaki. Oh well.

Latemarch
09-08-2009, 04:20 AM
What is the torque setting for the axle nut.

96 Ft/Lbs

Lamonster
09-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Glad that did the trick. :thumbup:

czdaryle
09-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I followed Lamonster's tip in the How to Step by Step subforum <http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5974> on adjusting my belt alignment last night.

This morning I rode to work with no more howl.:ohyea:

The biggest hassle I had was getting hold of a 36mm socket to undo and subsequently re-tension the rear axle. I borrowed one to do the job, and I have ordered one for the garage.

Thanks Lamonster and all the forumites who contribute. This <virtual> place rocks!:2thumbs:

Cheers;

Pogo

I have to do this did you just do the right side axle nut or both..thanks

Latemarch
09-08-2009, 08:11 AM
I have to do this did you just do the right side axle nut or both..thanks

You'll have to have something to hold the nut on the left while loosening the nut on the right and retightening the one on the right. The nut on the left is part of the axel itself.

Donzo
09-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I bought a 36mm socket and a very large cresent wrench for the other side - I have found several uses for the large cresent wrench since puchasing!
After you do the belt tension/alignment once - it is a piece of cake!

czdaryle
09-08-2009, 07:50 PM
You'll have to have something to hold the nut on the left while loosening the nut on the right and retightening the one on the right. The nut on the left is part of the axel itself.

got it....thanks