PDA

View Full Version : 1st ride since software update!!

stgilmer
09-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey guys I know I have read alot of problems that you all are having after having the recall update done. Today was the first time I was able to get out and ride mine since I had installed my F1 slide shield and had the update done. All I have changed on mine is added a Hindle. Rides fine til 4th gear then around 3500-4000 rpm I get some sputtering and (jerking) surging. Almost like a bronking bull. Other than that it seems to run ok, no backfiring that I can hear. Like I said I know that alot of reports had been made, I just wanted to chime in my experience just in case someone was keeping score to let BRP know. Or are they already working on another software update to fix it? Thanks Guys!

Dragonrider
09-08-2009, 08:48 AM
You might want to reset the complicator - I had that problem until I disconnected the battery for 15 min, then reconnected & let it idle for 10 min. That problem went away, but the milage is still in the upper 20's...

sabunim5
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
3500- 4000rpm is really a pretty low engine speed unless you are just putting along. Spyder is much happier at a higher rpm. Not like any twin I have had before.

NancysToy
09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
3500- 4000rpm is really a pretty low engine speed unless you are just putting along. Spyder is much happier at a higher rpm. Not like any twin I have had before.
:agree: Even under the best of conditions the Spyder is going to have difficulty at these rpms when the throttle is opened. This is not a Harley or other V-twin cruiser. It can loaf along at 3,500-4,000 rpm, but will not like additional load, like hills or acceleration. We have to learn to ride the machine within its design range, not adapt it to what we are used to.

bcspyder
09-09-2009, 11:56 AM
:agree: Even under the best of conditions the Spyder is going to have difficulty at these rpms when the throttle is opened. This is not a Harley or other V-twin cruiser. It can loaf along at 3,500-4,000 rpm, but will not like additional load, like hills or acceleration. We have to learn to ride the machine within its design range, not adapt it to what we are used to.
:agree:
This seems to come up often "My spyder doesn't run well at 3,000 rpm in 5th gear". It isn't supposed to. My other Vee Twin (Victory Vegas) has a lot of torque and will pull from almost any rpm. It's redline is short of 6,000 rpm though. The Rotax makes it's power at 5,000 and above. Mine absolutely purrs at the higher rpm's and will stumble at the lower levels. Particularly in 5th gear. If you are in 5th at 3,000 rpm you are WAY out of the powerband and need to downshift. I agree 100% that there is a learning curve for the rider here. Both new riders as well as those that are transitioning from another bike, particularly an air cooled V-Twin.

Some Guy
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
This seems to come up often "My spyder doesn't run well at 3,000 rpm in 5th gear". It isn't supposed to. My other Vee Twin (Victory Vegas) has a lot of torque and will pull from almost any rpm. It's redline is short of 6,000 rpm though. The Rotax makes it's power at 5,000 and above. Mine absolutely purrs at the higher rpm's and will stumble at the lower levels. Particularly in 5th gear. If you are in 5th at 3,000 rpm you are WAY out of the powerband and need to downshift. I agree 100% that there is a learning curve for the rider here. Both new riders as well as those that are transitioning from another bike, particularly an air cooled V-Twin.

FANG
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM

The problem is the gas mileage also seems to be affected. Before the update I could ryde in 5th gear at 3800 RPM and had no lugging or surging. My gas mileage was 4-5 MPG more. Since the update - I handle great but I cannot run in 4th or 5th gear below 4500 RPM without surging and lugging.

Previously I would downgear if I needed the power now I just ryde in 3rd until 50 mph and then shift to 4th as long as I will be able sustain 50mph. I am not able to comfortably run in 5th gear unless I am at 65mph or better.

I know this has got to be affecting the gas mileage. It also cannot not help the engine with all the surging and lugging.

Performance wise the update has been a bust for me.

Firefly
09-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I've never even considered hitting 5th gear until 65 mph--- from day one of owning this bike---- it just doesn't sound good or feel right to run the rpms that low. 3500 in 5th gear has got to be borderline lugging.

Remember that lower rpms doesn't always mean better mpg. The engine may run more efficiently at 5,000 - 7,500 rpms.

I rarely look at rpms--- I just go with what feels right.

Smylinacha
09-09-2009, 01:21 PM
3500 in 5th gear has got to be borderline lugging.

You mean borderline STALLING if it hasn't already!:roflblack:

smokster
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
This is the range the bike sputters or just misfires. Doing this in 2nd gear it is really noticeable.

stgilmer
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
This is the range the bike sputters or just misfires. Doing this in 2nd gear it is really noticeable.
Mine does it mainly in 4th gear and thats not a bad rpm for that gear. I'm not out here racing everywhere I go. I havent notices anything in 5th, neither high or low rpm.