PDA

View Full Version : RTS 2012 left handgrip light switch housing moving? Replacement?

Thedevilreturns
05-16-2021, 01:56 PM
Hi guys having major problems. I have a RTS 2012. Yesterday I was changing gears with shift paddle and the whole housing started moving. I came home and managed to take the housing off and put it all back in place, but now I am having a major issue. I had problems taking off the housing and I now can't indicate or use my high beams. I press the high beams and nothing happens, doesn't even come up blue on the speedo screen, I can't indicate right, and when I indicate left it stays on or if I press the cancel button the left indicator goes on. All the rest works including the menu button and gear shifting, but I can't activate the fault code screen. I am thinking that I now have a faulty LH electric housing. I can order a replacement from a dealer and have it sent to me, but I just have a question - does anyone know about the wiring? I watched a video on utube from smoak who replaced one, but it is a later model. I see in photos there are 3 connections, I was wondering how easy are they to find. I have done my own work on it before, like changing lights and different things. I don't have the manual but I know how to remove all the plastic work, I was just wondering if anyone knew where they were located instead of me fishing for hours to try and find the right connections?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-16-2021, 02:31 PM
Hi guys having major problems I have a rts 2012 yesterday I was changing gears with shift paddel and the whole housing started moving I come home and managed to take the housing off and put it all back in place but now I am having a major issue where I had problems taking off housing I now can't indicat or use my high beams, I press the high beams and nothing happens doesn't even come up blue on the speedo screen and I can't indicate right and when I indicate left it stays on or if I press the cancel button the left indicator goes on, all the rest works including menu button gear shifting, but I can't activate the fault code screen, I am thinking that I now have a fault lh electric housing, I can order a replacement from a deal and have it sent to me, I just have question does anyone know about the wiring I watched a video on utube from smoak who replaced one but it is a later model I see in photos there is 3 connections I was wondering how easy are they to find, I have done my own work on it before like changing lights and different things, I don't have the manual I know how two remove all plastic work, I was just wondering if anyone knew where they was located instead of me fishing for hours to try and find the connections

I've had mine ( several models ) ... and there is a locator tab molded into that piece .... there is a hole in the handlebars for that to fit into .... the pieces are not held in place by pressure ie. screws/bolts ... that TAB keeps it from rotating .... possibly not have ever4ything aligned inside ???? .... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

Thedevilreturns
05-16-2021, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure really how to sort it as when I look inside the component it's all built into each other I am not sure if there is a way to completely take it apart to see if it's all lined up

Thank you for your help

Thedevilreturns
05-17-2021, 10:07 AM

Hi guys I need to replace my 2012 left housing as its faulty does anyone know where the 3 connection pins are located I have been given the shocking price of £465 for the housing I am pretty good and replacing things it's just knowing where the wires are located as I am not quiet sure

Peter Aawen
05-17-2021, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure that this isn't going to be a case of 'replace the complete hand-grip' or a 'pull it apart yourself and just try' job?!? :dontknow:

I don't think too many dealers or BRP themselves would recommend or be able to do anything but replace the whole hand-grip control module/unit, because it is effectively a fully integrated one piece unit as far as they are concerned - do any the parts descriptors or suppliers really break it down much more?!? :rolleyes:

So if you want to try and fix just the light switch component of that 'one-piece integrated module' you are probably going to be pretty much on your own - altho I believe that there may have been a couple of threads or maybe only a few posts here from owners who've opened up the flexible covers under one of the switches & played around with the springs & ball bearings inside that actually make them 'click' into their different positions, but I'm pretty sure they didn't change any single switches out... :lecturef_smilie:

As for the wiring, it's all gotta go down the handlebars and then in/under the tupperware, so it shouldn't be too hard to trace once you start taking the tupperware body panels off in that area; not too sure there's much else you can do apart from look?! :dontknow: Sorry. :opps:

Over to you, and Good Luck! :cheers: