PDA

View Full Version : 998cc Bike wont start. 2013 RT Limited

Jday
05-15-2021, 12:06 PM
Panel lights up for a minute. When I try to start it everything goes blank. Could this be a blown fuse

Peter Aawen
05-15-2021, 05:44 PM
Blown fuse??? :dontknow: Maybe, but it doesn't really sound like it :rolleyes: It sounds much more like a dead or dying battery; or possibly loose battery terminals/poor earth connections! :gaah:

Have you had the battery load tested or checked it's state of charge? :dontknow: I reckon that'd be the first place to check, as it seems you have enough charge to initially start the computers/dash etc, but the moment you hit the starter and add the biiiig voltage drain that involves, there's not enough juice left to keep them going! :yikes:

Over to you. Good Luck! :cheers:

Bfromla
05-15-2021, 06:02 PM
:agree: Blown fuse would not gotten that far. Definitely sounds weak unable to handle load of the starter. Can’t attempt jump starting, will likely get you a one way trip then leave you stuck again. :sour: Load test & charge battery (cleaning & checking connections, default part of process)

Eviltwin
05-15-2021, 06:46 PM
For sure sounds like the battery. How old is the battery? Could be terminals not tight or the battery is on the way out. Tighten up the terminals first, if that doesnt work, you could try and jump it, just be careful. If you have one of the small portable units with their own battery, that would be my first recommendation. If it starts after all that then you probably need to replace the battery.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-15-2021, 07:02 PM
Your battery is shot. If battery voltage drops below 10.5 when you hit the starter what you saw is exactly what you get.

Pandy
05-17-2021, 05:51 AM
Yes, what everyone has said about the battery, particularly, about the loose connection, and what Peter said about the drain on startup. Age of the battery is a major factor, but check those connections first. Yeah it's some gymnastics to get to both connections, but for battery replacement, you'd have to do it anyway.
David