PDA

View Full Version : New member here from Southern Illinois.

Briorick
05-11-2021, 10:30 PM
Hey all,

New member here. Rick is my name. I recently purchased a 2014 RTS with 47k miles and have been lurking on SL for the past month since I have joined. Thanks for the add by the way. I have enjoyed learning ( and still learning ) and educating myself with everyone's input. And Youtube has been a great source of information as well. Many thanks to the folks making, and sharing, their videos too. What a god send these people are. It's always nice seeing first hand tutorials. Makes the job so much more doable and bearable.

I use to pre-think that owning a Spyder would be a challenge I dreaded because of all the tupperware removal situation. Not many folks in our area that have Spyders to chat with about.

Well, let me say that since acquiring mine I have done my first oil change, air filter cleaned ( K&N ), and even installed Magic Mirrors. I love those Magic Mirrors. The tupperware removal is no longer a task I dread. I can't tell you how many times I have been back and forth to my garage while looking on this forum checking things out. Whoever had my Spyder previously had done many upgrades that I am thankful for.

Yes, I am still trying to find my elusive "sweet spot". Some day it's great, some days....well! It's getting better. I have taken many hints from members here and applied them. I just need more saddle time. My riding times, and the weather here has not been so cooperative these past few weeks.

Wasn't sure if I would like the Spyder, I had sat on them at the dealers. I bought mine without ever riding one. It was a now or never situation when I did purchase it. I got a great deal and I knew I would adapt. I did my homework when looking for a spyder and knew that I would be getting a 2014 or newer. After purchasing it, and accustoming myself after a few rides, I knew the SE6 was the perfect choice. My previous ride was a Honda Silverwing 600 Touring Scooter w/ trike kit. Loved it too, but needed something a bit more robust for 2 up highway riding.

Just wanted to say Hello, Thanks again, and I am truly enjoying this forum. Ciao!

pegasus1300
05-11-2021, 10:41 PM
Hi Rick,welcome to Spyderlovers. Post early and post often. Thanks for the introduction. Lets see a picture of that Spyder.

Briorick
05-11-2021, 10:55 PM
Thanks pegasus1300, I finally got it figured out how to upload a pic. Here she is!

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2021, 11:14 PM
:congrats: .. & ... :welcome: .... If you ever want some advice on Auto tires myself & Peter can help you out ..... Mike :thumbup:

Briorick
05-11-2021, 11:20 PM
:congrats: .. & ... :welcome: .... If you ever want some advice on Auto tires myself & Peter can help you out ..... Mike :thumbup:

Thanks, Mike. Much appreciated. I am going to be replacing my rear tire at the end of this riding season so all advice / suggestions are surely welcome.

Peter Aawen
05-12-2021, 01:52 AM
Welcome Aboard Briorick! :thumbup:

:congrats: on your new ryde and your first posts on the Forum. :clap: Lotsa knowledgeable people here to help with any questions you might have; and with any luck, before you know it you too will be sharing your experiences & telling us all about the Miles of Smiles your Spyder brings! :ohyea:

Cheers! Here's to Happy Posting AND to Happy Ryding!! :cheers:

duke50
05-12-2021, 06:27 AM
Congratulations from Pocahontas IL

Jcummins
05-12-2021, 08:58 AM
Where are you located, I'm in Creal Springs.

ARtraveler
05-12-2021, 09:14 AM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new ryde. The 2014 is a great machine. I recently traded off mine on a 2020 F3L. It also had 47K miles and was still going strong.

Briorick
05-12-2021, 11:07 AM
Where are you located, I'm in Creal Springs.

I'm in Coulterville. Northwest of you, and South of duke50. I had relatives living in Lake Egypt area, so know where Creal Springs is located.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2021, 11:13 AM
Thanks, Mike. Much appreciated. I am going to be replacing my rear tire at the end of this riding season so all advice / suggestions are surely welcome.

As to tires, Peter and I have have schooling and training in how they work and under what conditions .... We both believe Kenda spyder tires are basically JUNK. Auto tires are way better - If they are properly inflated for the lightweight Spyders .... In the U.S. the BEST all-around tires are Vredestein Q-5's, for front and rear. The General Altimax RT43 ( in 215/60-15 ) works very well for the rear also.... Why not the front ? - they don't come in a sizes that are small enough without modifying the front fender brackets. As to handling - a light touch with the steering works best ... best advice I got was " just drive it like a Car ". .... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Briorick
05-12-2021, 01:09 PM
As to tires, Peter and I have have schooling and training in how they work and under what conditions .... We both believe Kenda spyder tires are basically JUNK. Auto tires are way better - If they are properly inflated for the lightweight Spyders .... In the U.S. the BEST all-around tires are Vredestein Q-5's, for front and rear. The General Altimax RT43 ( in 215/60-15 ) works very well for the rear also.... Why not the front ? - they don't come in a sizes that are small enough without modifying the front fender brackets. As to handling - a light touch with the steering works best ... best advice I got was " just drive it like a Car ". .... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Thanks, Mike.

I have been following "It's Yours, OWN IT" on Youtube and he did a good video review on the Vredestein Q-5's. The tire I currently have on the the rear is a Kumho Ecsta AST. It's nearing it's life cycle, which I already knew when I bought it. What are your thoughts on this tire? Good or Bad? I realize it's all a matter of personal opinion too, as I have come to see by viewing tire reviews here.

beerandchips
05-12-2021, 01:53 PM
Congrats from Herrin. Not a lot of Spyders around here but I do see one or two on occasion. I wanted to ride to work today but was too lazy to get the heavier jacket gear out. It's warmer out now so I'm kicking myself :) Enjoy the ride.

Steve

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Mike.

I have been following "It's Yours, OWN IT" on Youtube and he did a good video review on the Vredestein Q-5's. The tire I currently have on the the rear is a Kumho Ecsta AST. It's nearing it's life cycle, which I already knew when I bought it. What are your thoughts on this tire? Good or Bad? I realize it's all a matter of personal opinion too, as I have come to see by viewing tire reviews here.

For about 1/2 it's life ( 12 to 15,000 mi. ) the over-all traction W & D is decent. But many here who used it report that it's WET traction diminishes quite a bit. This won't happen with the Q-5 or Altimax RT 43 ( V rated ) ..... PS, To me Opinions on tires are similar to BUTT theory, Peter and I use Science as our criteria ..... I suggest you look at Peter's past posts about tire science - lots of great honest info there ..... Mike :thumbup:... PPS I also have a 14 RT in white .... I also have a Spider on my Frunk hood, however it's twice as large as yours :roflblack: and it's 3D. I got it at Holloween a few years ago, it's made to look like an actual Spider .....

Briorick
05-12-2021, 02:26 PM
Congrats from Herrin. Not a lot of Spyders around here but I do see one or two on occasion.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Been through Herrin many times.

You're right, not many around here. Although, we were out riding about a week ago, coming back from the camper show in Marion, and seen about 4 Spyders passing through Pinckneyville. Was great seeing others out Spydering, and enjoying the day.

Briorick
05-12-2021, 02:39 PM
For about 1/2 it's life ( 12 to 15,000 mi. )
PPS I also have a 14 RT in white .... I also have a Spider on my Frunk hood, however it's twice as large as yours :roflblack: and it's 3D. I got it at Holloween a few years ago, it's made to look like an actual Spider .....

That's good to know as to the longevity of this tire. I know ( assuming here... but you know the old saying :lecturef_smilie:) it's reached almost all of those miles from the looks of it. Not quite to the indicators, but close. I should be good for the rest of the season. I'm an easy rider.

I bet your Spider looks sweet! I love Halloween, best time of the year. Yeah, my Spider Web is only a 9" x 6" in dimension. But is does have a chrome ( plastic coated ) spider attached atop the web. Pretty cool looking. Hard to see in the picture.

I did look at a website that had decals and body wraps. I was amazed, and in awe, at the same time.

Ps.... forgot to ask who Peter is you are referring to. Thanks.

Jcummins
05-12-2021, 06:26 PM
I'm in Coulterville. Northwest of you, and South of duke50. I had relatives living in Lake Egypt area, so know where Creal Springs is located.

You get down here, touch base. Have not come across anyone in the immediate area with a Spyder. Seen a couple on the road and suspect they are close but haven't sync with another spyder rider.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2021, 06:39 PM
That's good to know as to the longevity of this tire. I know ( assuming here... but you know the old saying :lecturef_smilie:) it's reached almost all of those miles from the looks of it. Not quite to the indicators, but close. I should be good for the rest of the season. I'm an easy rider.

I bet your Spider looks sweet! I love Halloween, best time of the year. Yeah, my Spider Web is only a 9" x 6" in dimension. But is does have a chrome ( plastic coated ) spider attached atop the web. Pretty cool looking. Hard to see in the picture.

I did look at a website that had decals and body wraps. I was amazed, and in awe, at the same time.

Ps.... forgot to ask who Peter is you are referring to. Thanks.

Sorry bout that .... " Peter Aawen " .... He's also one of the Moderators .... Mike :thumbup:

Saluda
05-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Congrats & welcome. Enjoy !

Briorick
05-12-2021, 09:25 PM
You get down here, touch base. Have not come across anyone in the immediate area with a Spyder. Seen a couple on the road and suspect they are close but haven't sync with another spyder rider.

I'm always up for a road trip. If I get down that way, I'll look you up.:2thumbs:

I have seen 2 others here locally in the past, it's a rare occasion though. One passing through I spoke with, and another while shopping at Walmart. We are of the few, that's for sure. At least in my area.

Briorick
05-12-2021, 10:24 PM
Congrats & welcome. Enjoy !

Thanks Saluda, much appreciated!