PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Mirrors?

kytten
09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
So, I had my Spyder into the shop to have heliebars added and now my mirros flop around. I don't have mirror extenders, these are stock. Prior to the service they were so tight they didn't move.

Can anyone give me any tips on getting these things tightened back up? Frankly it's dangerous to ride around with them as they are -- if I go over 45 the mirrors flop forward and I can't see anything but my own legs/tummy.

If not, I'll be taking it back to the dealer ASAP. *grumble*

spyryder
09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
So, I had my Spyder into the shop to have heliebars added and now my mirros flop around. I don't have mirror extenders, these are stock. Prior to the service they were so tight they didn't move.

Can anyone give me any tips on getting these things tightened back up? Frankly it's dangerous to ride around with them as they are -- if I go over 45 the mirrors flop forward and I can't see anything but my own legs/tummy.

If not, I'll be taking it back to the dealer ASAP. *grumble*

Did you try tightening the screws???:dontknow:

kytten
09-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Of course I did. They're already as tight as I can get them. I also tried unscrewing them, repositioning and tightening them back up thinking there was maybe a notch or something that needed to be hit before they'd stay in place.

spyryder
09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Of course I did. They're already as tight as I can get them. I also tried unscrewing them, repositioning and tightening them back up thinking there was maybe a notch or something that needed to be hit before they'd stay in place.
Ahh...ok, check this thread where some star washers were added to secure the mirrors and added more adjustability.:f_spider:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8097&highlight=star+washers

Tom in NM
09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
. . . . they did something to the mirrors during the install. I would have them fix it. I hope it is not too much of an inconvenience.

Tom

kytten
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I called my dealer and told them about the problem, they said bring it in and they could easily fix it. I took it to them and it only took them a couple of minutes and the mirrors are back to being as tight as they were when I bought it.

QuadManiac
09-10-2009, 01:01 AM
I called my dealer and told them about the problem, they said bring it in and they could easily fix it. I took it to them and it only took them a couple of minutes and the mirrors are back to being as tight as they were when I bought it.

Any idea, specifically, what they did?

Trumpybob
09-10-2009, 05:33 AM
You really can't tighten those screws enough using the Torx driver in the tool kit provided. You have to use Torx socket that fits your socket set driver. Failing that, put a spanner on the square shaft of the one provided.
Bob

Lamonster
09-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I do, there are little groves it has to set in and if they don't they will be loose.

nickcaro
09-10-2009, 07:56 PM
well.... maybe I should have done more research on this matter.

two weeks ago I got so frustrated with my floppy mirrors that I used JB Weld to hold them in place. They have just been getting "floppier" over the past 6 months and not tightening helped. Now they are cemented in place!

D0h!

Tom in NM
09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
well.... maybe I should have done more research on this matter.

two weeks ago I got so frustrated with my floppy mirrors that I used JB Weld to hold them in place. They have just been getting "floppier" over the past 6 months and not tightening helped. Now they are cemented in place!

D0h!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=495&pictureid=5951

Slots?!?! What do you mean, slots??????

Tom :D

nickcaro
09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
yup, that is the exact same feel and look I had when I read this and realized that maybe the JB Weld was a little over kill.....

kytten
09-11-2009, 12:04 PM

I wish I'd thought to ask, but I didn't. Other things on my mind at the time. I may be up there this weekend and can ask then. I'll update if I can later.

tajohn
09-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I used Locktite Blue and had no more problems!