PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Parking Lots & Traveling - what precautions do you take?

bikerchris1270
05-05-2021, 07:59 PM
For those experienced Spyder Travelers…….what precautions do you take to protect your spyder from theft and vandalism?:pray::pray:
I know there some GPS locators available to add…….thinking about that.

fjray
05-05-2021, 08:08 PM
Put a cover on it and make sure you have good insurance. You can't fix stupid .

AZCanAm
05-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Park under lights and hopefully visible from your room. Find a motion alarm device and install if possible.

EdMat
05-05-2021, 10:24 PM
What I do.

Travel with a half cover. Try to get close to the front door, or, lots of places let motorcycles park under the entrance canopy. Don't leave anything on the bike you don't want to lose.

So far it has never been a problem.

I have added a small remote controlled alarm that I got cheap off Amazon. Mount it solidly to the frame so it picks up vibrations and it's effective. The only one to set it off so far is a couple curious kids while I was in a restaurant and my own forgetfulness.

Plarimer
05-06-2021, 05:38 AM
I carry a heavy wheel lock that I used to use on my Harley’s. It goes through the holes on the front but in this case with a Spyder in the rear brake disc. There is no way they will be able to get that off

JayBros
05-06-2021, 09:25 AM
I travel the same way as EdMat and have not had any problems. If you have any questions about hotel security ask at the front desk. I have done that at times and have been invited to park in the front door portico overhang.

2dogs
05-06-2021, 11:10 AM
Use common sense as described above. Don't allow the worry to invade the enjoyment of your travels. If worse comes to worse just keep enough in your debit card account to get you home safely.

Snoking1127
05-06-2021, 11:22 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Theft-Vibration-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Adjustable/dp/B08NF6QYKN/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2AA0PVZ38FVPU&dchild=1&keywords=superlink+2+set+wireless+motorcycle+bike+ anti+theft+alarm&qid=1620317990&sprefix=Superlnk+2%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExV1RZVVZBN1JGODc1J mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjQ3NTIzMTdVS1Y5U1czWjYwUiZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTE5OTU0MkNDS0tFUVlVTEo0VyZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

They have them available as a set of two also.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperInk-Motorcycle-Anti-Theft-Vibration-Waterproof/dp/B079BNS9JT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2AA0PVZ38FVPU&dchild=1&keywords=superlink+2+set+wireless+motorcycle+bike+ anti+theft+alarm&qid=1620318112&sprefix=Superlnk+2%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A7YWT9ZQ8IFAH&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOTU4WTBZWFZKTkpSJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODIzMzg4OFFKWkIwN1ZXOFVHJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4OTM4NTMyNEFYT1UzSzlPNFRIJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Motorcycledave
05-06-2021, 11:50 AM
I once stayed in a motor inn "Fancy Motel" down by Disney Land in California
it was built in a circle with the pool, hot tubs and such in the center lots of grass
each room on ground level had a patio with sliding doors going from the room
out to the pool area, there were breezeways about every 200 feet from the parking
lot to the center pool area...NOW that I have painted the picture of the place
for you .... I went into my room to check it out noticed the sliding glass doors and
the light went on in my head.... I opened the doors, went out to where I had parked my bike
a 1977 Honda GoldWing went through the breeze way closest to the room and you got it,
pulled it into the room and closed the doors. Just in case I put magazines under the tires
since Honda's don't leak oil like the American brands I did not put a drip pan under it...
you should have seen the room service maid when she came to clean the room.....
I was young and daring then.

Fatcycledaddy
05-06-2021, 12:17 PM
Half cover works great! I use that when we park in any town and walk also, set the helmets on the seat, install half cover, and feel fine.
Before I used the half cover I would find people sitting on it upon return to the bike, and I would have to carry the helmets with me.
Half cover has stopped all of that.

RideOn
05-06-2021, 12:46 PM
As others have said, it depends on the hotel or motel and their location. However, as a general rule, I prefer to stay at a small motel, in a ground-floor room, so I can park the Spyder (or motorcycle) just outside the door. A motion alarm sounds like a good idea, but if you park close enough as I described, you could even tie a fishing line between the bike and your toe or wrist.

The only time I've had an issue was when I had a brain fart and left my shaving kit (which unfortunately included my eyeglasses) on the seat. Even though I returned moments later, the kit was gone. On the other hand, I made the two-week round trip from California to Milwaukee for HD's 100th anniversary without ever having a problem.

Cheers,
Bob

pegasus1300
05-06-2021, 03:37 PM
I have traveled the highways for over 50 years and never had a problem. I used to carry a chain and chain the bike to a post. Later a cover would do it. Now with the Spyder I sometimes put a cover. I also look for motels in good parts of town, well lit, and can sometimes park where ight is visible from the front desk. I must say tho many times I just parked, took the key and went to bed.

pidjones
05-06-2021, 04:32 PM
I had a motion alarm on our GL1800. Great for running off kids that thought it was there for them to climb on. However at motels I could not arm it if Vtwins were also around. Also turned out to be a great alert of thunderstorms passing through.

Mazo EMS2
05-06-2021, 05:08 PM
put a cover on it and make sure you have good insurance. You can't fix stupid .

^^^^this^^^^^

crossbowme
05-07-2021, 06:27 AM
A few years ago I stayed at a reputable hotel in VT. There was a number of MC in the lot (no Spyders). Luckily I got there early and cabled my bike to a light pole. During the night a team of flatbed and wrecker came in and stole three MC's. Looks like they tried to take mine but I had a hardened steel cable on it. It was quite long and cost a lot but was worth it.

My point is you are taking a chance when you leave it overnight but what choice do you have? I still have my cable.