PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Belt from Rocks-Should I get a belt guard?

bikerchris1270
05-01-2021, 04:34 PM
I have not had this happen yet,but……
How many folks out there have had damage done by rocks caught between driven sprocket ?
Trying to justify the purchase of a belt guard @$50.
I’ve ordered the guard.

canamjhb
05-01-2021, 04:52 PM
It happened to me. A rock about the size of a pencil eraser. It put a hole completely through the belt. New belts are about $300.00 and the stealer was about $200.00 to install. And then I had to correct their belt tension and alignment. I put a guard on and never had a rock problem again..... Jim

Adventurer
05-01-2021, 06:17 PM
It happened to me. A rock about the size of a pencil eraser. It put a hole completely through the belt. New belts are about $300.00 and the stealer was about $200.00 to install. And then I had to correct their belt tension and alignment. I put a guard on and never had a rock problem again..... Jim

Can you link to the guard, I don’t recall seeing one yet and I invariably end up on a gravel road from time to time.

milryder
05-01-2021, 06:48 PM
There are plastic and metal guards. Have read here somewhere that the plastic is preferable in case something lodges between the belt and tire the plastic will disintegrate but the metal may jam up and damage the tire. I have half mile of gravel to get to tarmac and have same concern as well as occasional necessary ride on gravel for road construction, detours, etc. Very little room for a guard between belt and tire, have not made a decision as many have ridden years w/o issue. CANAMJHB mentions the obvious potential. Anxious to hear more.

almosthere
05-01-2021, 07:04 PM
Vendor here Spyderpops has what you need.

2dogs
05-01-2021, 07:28 PM
OEM belt was damaged by a rock. About $500 to get it replaced by the dealer. Bought a plastic belt guard and it was junk. It either rubbed the belt or the tire and was supposed to be mounted with double-sided tape. Just how long would that last. Here's the belt guard I ended up with.

https://customspyderworks.com/collections/inspector-gadget/products/inspector-gadgets-drive-belt-stone-guard-for-spyder-st

Adventurer
05-01-2021, 07:34 PM
OEM belt was damaged by a rock. About $500 to get it replaced by the dealer. Bought a plastic belt guard and it was junk. It either rubbed the belt or the tire and was supposed to be mounted with double-sided tape. Just how long would that last. Here's the belt guard I ended up with.

https://customspyderworks.com/collections/inspector-gadget/products/inspector-gadgets-drive-belt-stone-guard-for-spyder-st
Thanks for the info, I’ll check it out.

bikerchris1270
05-01-2021, 09:46 PM
I have not had this happen yet,but……
How many folks out there have had damage done by rocks caught between driven sprocket ?
Trying to justify the purchase of a belt guard @$50.
I’m convinced…..I ordered the belt guard……better safe than sorry.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-01-2021, 11:02 PM

I looked at the pic ..... That looks like it would prevent rocks from only ONE side of the belt ..... The one I made is similar but has a flat , slightly slanted piece covering most of the belt .... hasn't fallen off yet ( about 36,000 mi. ) ..... Mike :thumbup:

Lew L
05-02-2021, 09:01 AM

A belt guard was one of the first things I added to my:spyder2:

Lew L

milryder
05-02-2021, 09:12 AM

A belt guard was one of the first things I added to my:spyder2:

Lew L

Did you have to lift the machine or at least the rear end to install and what tools or any drilling required? I understand there is very little clearance there when installing.

2dogs
05-02-2021, 01:05 PM
Did you have to lift the machine or at least the rear end to install and what tools or any drilling required? I understand there is very little clearance there when installing.

The Custom Spyder Works aluminum belt guard comes with 2 self-taping screws. So you only get one shot at mounting it correctly. Yes, lift the back of the spyder to give yourself better working room. Also if you can, secure the guard some way after you position it properly so it doesn't move around while you're installing the guard. You can call Custom Spyder Works and they can help with any other install questions you may have.