PDA

View Full Version : Took A Test Drive Of A '21 RT Limited During Demo Days Event

MikeT
05-01-2021, 12:36 AM
I took a demo days test drive today to get acclimated to the differences between a '21 and my '15 RT Limited.
The planned route limited a full appreciation of the new platform because of keeping the maximum speed to 40 MPH. Never got beyond 4th gear. Here are my observations. I would like some feedback: I am 6'2"/200lbs with a 32" inseam
1. Brake Pedal design/position requires a conscious effort to get proper engagement.
2. Not impressed by the totally automated suspension adjustment. Single rider ride quality was too stiff. I realize that this could be influenced by:
A. maximum rear tire inflation pressure, and/or
B. The poor quality of some of the roads chosen.
3. Never got beyond the basic operational controls. Never touched the joystick.
4. Being left handed, I found the instructor's preferred "two handed" method of engaging reverse to be awkward.

Copperman
05-01-2021, 09:42 AM
I took a demo days test drive today to get acclimated to the differences between a '21 and my '15 RT Limited.
The planned route limited a full appreciation of the new platform because of keeping the maximum speed to 40 MPH. Never got beyond 4th gear. Here are my observations. I would like some feedback: I am 6'2"/200lbs with a 32" inseam
1. Brake Pedal design/position requires a conscious effort to get proper engagement.
2. Not impressed by the totally automated suspension adjustment. Single rider ride quality was too stiff. I realize that this could be influenced by:
4. Being left handed, I found the instructor's preferred "two handed" method of engaging reverse to be awkward.

You'll soon learn:

1. By the time you get home, you'll remember where the new brake pedal is.

2. Some of the '20/'21s have had an issue with the rear suspension "locking up." The one you rode might have been locked up. I don't remember the exact reason why it does that. How was your ride home on your '21? Did it feel better than the demo bike?

3. The joystick is best learned while sitting in your driveway.

4. Putting it in reverse is the same on your '15 as it is on the '21. There's no change. I would assume you have that down pat and there was no need for instruction on how to engage reverse. Remember, your instructor has probably never been on a Spyder until they started doing the demo rides. Joe and Ann are the exception.

Hope you and Linda are doing well. Enjoy your new ride.

bikerchris1270
05-01-2021, 09:51 AM

I have to wait til June for my allotted time for Demo days. I’m really curious how the new RT handles compared to the F3L I have.

Cruzr Joe
05-01-2021, 03:34 PM
the two handed reverse instructions is a safety thing, if you are using two hands you wont accidently accelerate the throttle. that is the way i teach new riders, but i also show them the one handed method for after they are comfortable on the Spyder.

Cruzr Joe

fatboy
05-01-2021, 03:44 PM
wife and i each have 2021 rt they are set up a little different pm me ill let you ride if you want