PDA

View Full Version : Blog-My first self inflected problem

Lamonster
09-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Well against my better judgment I did something I knew could be a problem and now I'm paying for it. :gaah:

After riding a RT with the shocks cranked all the way up I knew that's where I wanted my shocks too. I asked one of the BRP guys if they could crank it up for me because I was afraid of breaking the cast cam adjuster. I had several guys tell me they do it all the time without jacking up the Spyder and taking the load off. I still thought it was not a good idea and they were going to take care of it. Well I know these guys were running around like chickens with their heads cut off last night and somehow it got overlooked. No big deal I just packed up and headed out.

At my first gas stop I decided to get the tool out and give it a shot seeing I had 6 hours of riding ahead of me and I might as well have it nice and stiff. This was one of those times when I should have listened to the voice in my head that said just wait till you get home and do it.

I cranked the right side up no problem so I'm thinking cool, this is going to work. Then I moved to the left side and "pop" :shocked: :yikes: sure enough I broke the corner of the cam. Now it's not bad but it's not good either so I got on the phone and the end result was they towed it back to the hotel and when the support team gets back from their ride they can fix it and I'll head out in the morning.

So bottom line if you're going to adjust your front shocks up on the RS or the RT you really need to take the load off of them before you start cranking on them. nojoke

I guess this is the kind of stuff that makes for a good story any way. :doorag:

Dudley
09-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Enjoy your ride home, Lamont. We are looking forward to seeing an RT on the west coast. Not wanting to get one, but curious to see.

BeRight
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
It appears they stayed with the same type/style shocks - I am surprised.

Lamonster
09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
It appears they stayed with the same type/style shocks - I am surprised.
They look the same but they're not. If they were I would have had the local dealer swap some RS shocks out for me. :sour:

rleathen
09-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Obviously Lamont is not the responsible type person that BRP can trust with the RT. They had better remove him as one of the chosen few and of course.....replace him with me :ohyea::ohyea::2thumbs::2thumbs::clap::clap:

Big Arm
09-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Well....not a good story......but..... */%# happens :gaah:
A better story would have been, if the tech would have broken it, in front of everybody.
Have a safe trip home, Lamont. :bowdown:

BajaRon
09-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Why don't you tell the REAL story Lamont. You're just looking for any excuse to stay another night in that POSH Hotel! :roflblack:

steven888
09-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Did the same thing but I had it jacked up with the load of the wheels and it still broke the left side. That really bums you out.

Lamonster
09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Did the same thing but I had it jacked up with the load of the wheels and it still broke the left side. That really bums you out.

Another trick that should be done is to lube it with some WD or something like that before you crank on it.

Lamonster
09-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm all put back together and ready to roll in the morning. :2thumbs:

Next stop home and then Deals Gap :ohyea::yes::2excited:

DynamoBT
09-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Hope you have the same weather we're having up here in New England. If so, you are in for nice ryding!!!

Safe trip Lamont. We're all looking forward to you taking us along your journeys on the RT-S!!!

Zerocool
09-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Now I don't feel so bad. I adjusted mine in the spring - put a piece of PVC on the end of the wrench for leverage, the pipe turned, the cam didn't... imagine my surprise :opps:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=477&pictureid=5802

Ken5517 / Wish Again
09-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Well against my better judgment I did something I knew could be a problem and now I'm paying for it. :gaah:

After riding a RT with the shocks cranked all the way up I knew that's where I wanted my shocks too. I asked one of the BRP guys if they could crank it up for me because I was afraid of breaking the cast cam adjuster. I had several guys tell me they do it all the time without jacking up the Spyder and taking the load off. I still thought it was not a good idea and they were going to take care of it. Well I know these guys were running around like chickens with their heads cut off last night and somehow it got overlooked. No big deal I just packed up and headed out.

At my first gas stop I decided to get the tool out and give it a shot seeing I had 6 hours of riding ahead of me and I might as well have it nice and stiff. This was one of those times when I should have listened to the voice in my head that said just wait till you get home and do it.

I cranked the right side up no problem so I'm thinking cool, this is going to work. Then I moved to the left side and "pop" :shocked: :yikes: sure enough I broke the corner of the cam. Now it's not bad but it's not good either so I got on the phone and the end result was they towed it back to the hotel and when the support team gets back from their ride they can fix it and I'll head out in the morning.

So bottom line if you're going to adjust your front shocks up on the RS or the RT you really need to take the load off of them before you start cranking on them. nojoke

Warrenty Item?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

I am staying for the rib vest like I told ya, see ya later

ride safe

Roaddog2
09-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Another trick that should be done is to lube it with some WD or something like that before you crank on it.
:agree:

Roaddog2
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Now I don't feel so bad. I adjusted mine in the spring - put a piece of PVC on the end of the wrench for leverage, the pipe turned, the cam didn't... imagine my surprise :opps:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=477&pictureid=5802u need a real rachet :thumbup::joke:

Zerocool
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
u need a real rachet :thumbup::joke:

I couldn't find my Craftsman wrenches (was too lazy to go into the basement), so I used the el-cheapo one I had in the garage.

Lamonster
09-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I couldn't find my Craftsman wrenches (was too lazy to go into the basement), so I used the el-cheapo one I had in the garage.

Must be one of those SNAP-OFF tools :D

Zerocool
09-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Must be one of those SNAP-OFF tools :D

:roflblack:

My wife asks why I keep it around since it's no good. I told her "so the next time you ask why I paid so much for a tool, you'll understand." :yikes:

NewRider
09-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Yup...the same old story..."you get exactly what you pay for"...:sour:

barb36jack31
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Nice report Lamont. Have a safe trip home and God Speed!

Toys42
09-08-2009, 12:06 AM
I am not sure that jacking the front helps much so don't feel guilty!
There is still a substantial pre-load on the springs even when the wheels are off the ground. After adjusting the right shock without much effort, I thought I could do the same on the left side. After applying much more force to make it move, the collar spread around the shock tab instead of going up one notch. I am sure there is something about the direction of the wind of the spring that appears to consistantly cause the issue on the left side instead of the right. Lube may be a solution but I really don't thing we should have to wash the bike after a simple shock adjustment. I have not seen the BRP billet adjuster option in person but it appears to be stronger in this area.

Enjoy the ride and keep up the great reports.

czdaryle
09-08-2009, 06:49 AM
yep..it was my left side that snap also