PDA

View Full Version : Trip Trunk for BRP Sport Rack

Don in E Texas
09-05-2009, 07:56 AM
There are a lot of Trip Trunk's available that can be installed on the BRP Sport Rack... this is just one method of doing it.

I used some 1/2" square metal stock (hollow, not solid stock) to raise the Truck over the lip of the Sport Rack and to secure the unit. Secured with 1" 10x32 screws and self-locking nuts. Also used large diameter washers on the fiberglass side of each connection for support. Lights are tail lights and really help show up the bike at night both from the side as well as the rear.

Easy to pop the trunk off and re-install the passenger back rest.

Not a 2010 R/T, but it works for me.:roflblack:

don

Don in E Texas
09-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Screwed up - left out a photo ...:cus: oh, well, it is early in the AM :gaah:

don

Bersquack
09-05-2009, 08:15 AM
:thumbup:

Firefly
09-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Looking good!

Which case is that?

DynamoBT
09-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Can you explain more what you did to the BRP Sport rack to make this possible. I like the idea of being interchangable between the seat backrest and a case. Pictures of the actual modification?? Please.

Also, what case is that?

Such handy people on this forum. Wish I was more handy with stuff.

Don in E Texas
09-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll have to check, but I think the case is from a Kaw. touring bike -- has saddle bags to match, but far too large for the :spyder2:.

The bag is mounted as close as possible to the front edge of the blank plate that comes with the BRP passenger backrest. If it is installed too far forward (towards the driver, or front of the bike) you will not be able to tilt everything far enough to remove it.

The blank plate has 4 holes drilled in it -- two as far forward as possible and two as far to the rear as possible (there is a large hollow space under the blank plate - that is the area I'm referring to.

Two pcs. of metal 1/2" sq are used - This all depends on the box you are using and what pattern the mold is that formed the box bottom. Every box is different -- easy one would be one that is entirely flat -- then the two pcs. of sq material would be cut almost as wide as the bottom of the box. In my case, only one could be cut that way - one had to be shorter because of the molded contours of the bottom of the box.

In the attached photo (I should have already taken a shot showing the under side - just not thinking. This view shows the box as it is tilted up from the install position.) the longer 1/2" bar is 15" long; the other can't be seen but is about 7 1/2" long because of the way the bottom of the box is formed in this area.

Hope all this makes sense.:hun:

don

DynamoBT
09-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I think it would help a heck of a lot if I had the sport rack and backrest. Unfortunately, that's a next year's mod.

The thing that I am getting thanks to your description is that a blank plate comes with the sport rack that is removed to install the backrest. It is to this blank plate that you attach whatever box you have as a trunk.

Am I getting this correct?

Anyway, thanks for you efforts to explain al this, Don!!!

Don in E Texas
09-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I think it would help a heck of a lot if I had the sport rack and backrest. Unfortunately, that's a next year's mod.

The thing that I am getting thanks to your description is that a blank plate comes with the sport rack that is removed to install the backrest. It is to this blank plate that you attach whatever box you have as a trunk.

Am I getting this correct?

Anyway, thanks for you efforts to explain all this, Don!!!

Correct, Marilyn. Blank plate is part of the option.

don

DynamoBT
09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Finally!!! I think I get it!

Thanks Don for your description. That blank plate explains a ton about how to mount a box on the sport rack!!

Don in E Texas
10-03-2009, 10:20 AM
My mod has been working now for almost a month -- and many miles w/o any problems. Came in last night and the trip truck was not secure! Bummer!:hun:

I checked it this morning and found the round pin that secures the plate to the bike had broken loose! I also checked the passenger backrest and found that the pin is connected with a LOT stronger support than the blank plate has. You can check this by turning both the blank plate and the back rest over and observing how the pin is installed. This pin is about 2 1/2" long; 1/4" dia. (app.). I'll reinforce the mounting bracket on the blank plate to make it stronger and should be back in business once again. Right now I have the passenger back rest installed.

Photo shows pin installed on the back rest plate -

Just a heads up...........sometimes things just don't work out like you think they will..:(

don

Don in E Texas
10-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Photo shows broken bracket for pin. Note thinner construction of the bracket compared to the passenger back rest one.

don

M2Wild
10-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Photo shows broken bracket for pin. Note thinner construction of the bracket compared to the passenger back rest one.

don
Maybe you can weld it back on with a SS bracket reinforce it. Since its inside, no one will see it.

Don in E Texas
10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Might be a casting -- "pot metal"............I'll have to check further..

don

glynnk
10-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Don--Very nice!

Glynnk

wolfshead1
10-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Very nice but I'm thinkin why buy the sport rack.Can't the metal behind the seat be drilled to hold a top box with supplied plate?

NancysToy
10-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Might be a casting -- "pot metal"............I'll have to check further..

don
I suspect it is either that or cast alloy. Silly of them to make it so thin there. There is a rod that will braze potmetal, but the powdercoating may interfere. I'd consider epoxying a steel reinforcement to the esisting bracket.

bjt
10-04-2009, 06:20 AM
I suspect it is either that or cast alloy. Silly of them to make it so thin there. There is a rod that will braze potmetal, but the powdercoating may interfere. I'd consider epoxying a steel reinforcement to the esisting bracket.

+1 Or removing as much of the original bracket as possible (if not all of it) and screw a metal bracket in it's place.

the nicko
10-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Very nice! :agree: