PDA

View Full Version : Like what I see RT

BLACK WIDOW
09-05-2009, 07:08 AM
I really like what they have done on the RT. The Goldwing influence is apparent and they probably couldn't have found a better standard than the Goldwing. The only thing missing (and badly needed IMHO) is the Goldwing type engine. I would bet my hat that is coming; my guess would be the 2012 model maybe 2011. I for one would prefer to watch for a while and see where this thing goes before I do something I would regret in a year or so. In the mean time I have a good ride that puts a smile on my face every time I roll the throttle on, and its all mine.:ohyea:nojoke

Michael:doorag:

czdaryle
09-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I would love to get the new RT but besides the $25,000 for the bike, I think you will take a big hit on your 2008 - 2009, especially if you trade it in or any aftermarket stuff. When you include that, it is too much for me...Wish I could swing it cause it looks great!!!

Smylinacha
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I really like what they have done on the RT. The Goldwing influence is apparent and they probably couldn't have found a better standard than the Goldwing. The only thing missing (and badly needed IMHO) is the Goldwing type engine. I would bet my hat that is coming; my guess would be the 2012 model maybe 2011. I for one would prefer to watch for a while and see where this thing goes before I do something I would regret in a year or so. In the mean time I have a good ride that puts a smile on my face every time I roll the throttle on, and its all mine.:ohyea:nojoke

Bigger engine - would be NICE. I'd like a Sporty version - give me a Spyder w/ some tunes, minus all the bags with a bigger engine and 6th gear:2thumbs::thumbup:

Bersquack
09-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Look at what they did for a Touring Spyder. Imagine what they can do for a Sporty version. I hope they knock our socks off.

mjw930
09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm confused, IMHO the current spyder has always been the "sport" version. I think those waiting for a "sportier" version will be waiting a long time. (RT = Roadster Touring, RS = Roadster Sport)

Also, those who think it needs a bigger engine without even riding this one always crack me up. It's like all the Harley fools who say the Revolution motor won't work in a touring model even after you point out it's power band is stronger than a GL-1800 motor or a BMW K1200LT and it's a lowly 1250cc V-Twin.

100/80 is PLENTY of power for a touring bike. About the ONLY thing that might be an issue is fuel economy but it sounds like they re-cammed and re-tuned this motor to work better at lower RPM's and hopefully keep it's fuel economy in the upper 30's, possibly bumping on 40 mph.

Dragonrider
09-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm lucky enough to have both a K1200LT and a Spyder - so I can choose which to ride. Even with all the changes, I can't see the Spyder delivering the comfort and quiet ride of the LT.

I've had two V-rods, and they were just too small to use for really long rides (for me), and the Spyder is in the same boat.... besides, the LT gives me an honest 55 to 58 mpg on the highway, & my Spyder doesn't even hit 30...

BLACK WIDOW
09-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm confused, IMHO the current spyder has always been the "sport" version. I think those waiting for a "sportier" version will be waiting a long time. (RT = Roadster Touring, RS = Roadster Sport)

Also, those who think it needs a bigger engine without even riding this one always crack me up. It's like all the Harley fools who say the Revolution motor won't work in a touring model even after you point out it's power band is stronger than a GL-1800 motor or a BMW K1200LT and it's a lowly 1250cc V-Twin.

100/80 is PLENTY of power for a touring bike. About the ONLY thing that might be an issue is fuel economy but it sounds like they re-cammed and re-tuned this motor to work better at lower RPM's and hopefully keep it's fuel economy in the upper 30's, possibly bumping on 40 mph.

Unless I am badly mistaken (been wrong before) the GL 1800 runs almost twice the HP as 1250 cc Harley. The HP is rated at different RPM's however. I do know (from experience) that the Wing will run circles around one.nojoke

mjw930
09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Unless I am badly mistaken (been wrong before) the GL 1800 runs almost twice the HP as 1250 cc Harley. The HP is rated at different RPM's however. I do know (from experience) that the Wing will run circles around one.nojoke

Yes, the stock GW has roughly twice the HP than a stock 96ci H-D and for most practical purposes you can hustle the GW around faster than a Harley UNLESS you do 3 things to the Harley. 1. Purchase a 2009 to get the new frame, 2. Install the 103 ci kit with custom cams and decent headwork and 3. upgrade the suspension to Penski rear shocks and Traxxion front cartridges.

I've ridden both (and own a Wing) and the limiting factor on both will be lean angle and rider skill. They are certainly different animals but with the proper tweaks an H-D touring bike with the new 2009 frame can really surprise unsuspecting riders.

To blanketly state the a GW can ride circle around a Harley is simply not true.

My point in all this is I think people who dismiss the RT simply because it has a V-Twin or because it has less than 150 HP or 100 lb-ft of torque are speaking from prejudice, not factual evidence.

BLACK WIDOW
09-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes, the stock GW has roughly twice the HP than a stock 96ci H-D and for most practical purposes you can hustle the GW around faster than a Harley UNLESS you do 3 things to the Harley. 1. Purchase a 2009 to get the new frame, 2. Install the 103 ci kit with custom cams and decent headwork and 3. upgrade the suspension to Penski rear shocks and Traxxion front cartridges.

I've ridden both (and own a Wing) and the limiting factor on both will be lean angle and rider skill. They are certainly different animals but with the proper tweaks an H-D touring bike with the new 2009 frame can really surprise unsuspecting riders.

To blanketly state the a GW can ride circle around a Harley is simply not true.

My point in all this is I think people who dismiss the RT simply because it has a V-Twin or because it has less than 150 HP or 100 lb-ft of torque are speaking from prejudice, not factual evidence.

I was speaking of a stock Harley (as you described) and also speaking from experience.nojoke I am not saying that any Harley won't run with a Goldwing I'm sure they have some that will. I was refering to your example.:doorag:

Lamonster
09-05-2009, 11:15 PM
:D
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

BLACK WIDOW
09-06-2009, 06:38 AM
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo)

That is a cool video; What was following taking the pictures???
The GL 1800 is a very powerful and good handling bike; As you know.
I do enjoy riding the Spyder more than my Wing , at least the kind of riding we do now.:thumbup:

mjw930
09-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Yep, Yellow Wolf is quite the rider. I had the Wing up in the N. Ga mountains last week and it does defy some of the laws of physics considering it's size and weight.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a fight. I just dislike blanket statements that don't take into account rider abilities, upgrades, etc.

I had to choose between a GL-1800 or a Street Glide earlier this year and chose the Wing and I haven't regretted the decision BUT, the final deciding factor was cost, not capabilities. I got a left over 2008 GL-1800 for $16,500 + tax, the equivalent Harley was $21,000 + tax and would need another $4k in motor mods to bring it up to a level of power I find acceptable. If I could have done a Street Glide with a 103ci motor for under $20K that would be in the garage.

I had a nice conversation with some of the Harley brass (Bill Davidson and the like) about the ultimate capabilities of the new 2009 and up touring platform and one of the comments then made was the Goldwing was a target platform from a handling perspective. After riding one in the CO mountains I can attest that they hit the mark. DO NOT compare a pre-2009 Harley touring bike with the new ones, they might as well have been built by 2 different companies, they are that different. The 110CI CVO Ultra will run all day with a Wing but the cost of admission is $35K :yikes:

ataDude
09-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Ahh... I remember "yellow wolf" well. I believe that the record he set of the most round trips on the Gap in a 24-hour period still stands.

No doubt... that guy could ride an already great bike. I loved the bike... just couldn't stand the 900 pounds in parking lot scenarios due to my stainless-re-enforced left knee and pelvis.

BLACK WIDOW
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Yep, Yellow Wolf is quite the rider. I had the Wing up in the N. Ga mountains last week and it does defy some of the laws of physics considering it's size and weight.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a fight. I just dislike blanket statements that don't take into account rider abilities, upgrades, etc.

I had to choose between a GL-1800 or a Street Glide earlier this year and chose the Wing and I haven't regretted the decision BUT, the final deciding factor was cost, not capabilities. I got a left over 2008 GL-1800 for $16,500 + tax, the equivalent Harley was $21,000 + tax and would need another $4k in motor mods to bring it up to a level of power I find acceptable. If I could have done a Street Glide with a 103ci motor for under $20K that would be in the garage.

I had a nice conversation with some of the Harley brass (Bill Davidson and the like) about the ultimate capabilities of the new 2009 and up touring platform and one of the comments then made was the Goldwing was a target platform from a handling perspective. After riding one in the CO mountains I can attest that they hit the mark. DO NOT compare a pre-2009 Harley touring bike with the new ones, they might as well have been built by 2 different companies, they are that different. The 110CI CVO Ultra will run all day with a Wing but the cost of admission is $35K :yikes:

Yes, I agree that the Wing is a pretty good standard by which to measure any touring bike. It is a standard; However, a 10 year old standard and is no doubt due to be upgraded.nojoke

mjw930
09-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes, I agree that the Wing is a pretty good standard by which to measure any touring bike. It is a standard; However, a 10 year old standard and is no doubt due to be upgraded.nojoke

Absolutely, I expect 2011 to be a very interesting year with a new Goldwing, BMW LT and probably a water cooled version of the H-D touring bikes. Honda is also rumored to be working on a V-4 sport touring bike as well.

NancysToy
09-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Absolutely, I expect 2011 to be a very interesting year with a new Goldwing, BMW LT and probably a water cooled version of the H-D touring bikes. Honda is also rumored to be working on a V-4 sport touring bike as well.
Say it isn't so! Is nothing in this world sacred anymore? :joke:

mjw930
09-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Say it isn't so! Is nothing in this world sacred anymore? :joke:

I felt the same way in '97 when Porsche abandoned air cooled motors :joke:

From what I've learned talking to H-D people it will be a watercooled version of the venerable 45 degree V-Twin possibly spread to 50 degrees and made to look, sound and yes, vibrate as much as the current TC96 motor. What it will have is a much longer service life as well as increased performance since they can maintain tolerances better with water cooled heads. In all aspects it will be a better motor but alas the "faithful" will certainly expend a ton of hot air crying about the passing of an era.

retread
09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
The ST1300 is a V-4 sport touring bike, I was getting ready to buy one when the Spyder came out, with the obvious results. But the ST has been around for 10 years with few upgrades other than a bump in displacement, so it's time. Wouldn't mind seeing a V-4 shaft drive Spyder.

john

BLACK WIDOW
09-07-2009, 12:09 PM
The ST1300 is a V-4 sport touring bike, I was getting ready to buy one when the Spyder came out, with the obvious results. But the ST has been around for 10 years with few upgrades other than a bump in displacement, so it's time. Wouldn't mind seeing a V-4 shaft drive Spyder.

john

I honestly think that you will, or something like it. I think that is going to be the next logical step in the touring arena for BRP. Maybe sooner than some think. My dealer has always said (maybe just an opinion) that 2012 will be the year for major model changes. I think the current RT is a "ice breaker" model to test the market since it is pretty much just a dressed up Spyder.nojoke

Just Doo Me
09-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Definitely look for BRP to increase their engine line up.Look no further than the Sea-Doo and Ski-Doo engine options.Last year they had a 600cc direct injection clean burning,oil injected 2-stroke that got awsome fuel and oil mileage while turning out 116 HP.Those motors just ran sooo much smoother than a V-twin.They also introduced a 1200cc 3cyl. 4-stroke rated at 135 HP that ran very strong.I'm sure in the near future many more motor options will be available and for now just getting the Spyder to market is their main focus.

BLACK WIDOW
09-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Definitely look for BRP to increase their engine line up.Look no further than the Sea-Doo and Ski-Doo engine options.Last year they had a 600cc direct injection clean burning,oil injected 2-stroke that got awsome fuel and oil mileage while turning out 116 HP.Those motors just ran sooo much smoother than a V-twin.They also introduced a 1200cc 3cyl. 4-stroke rated at 135 HP that ran very strong.I'm sure in the near future many more motor options will be available and for now just getting the Spyder to market is their main focus.

That sounds about right for a touring Spyder with the power to pull a trailer, and carry a passenger, while providing the performance we all apperciate and expect.:doorag: That would spark my interest.nojoke

jwhatman
09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
In watching the GW in action in Georgia the only comment I can give is the bike defies logic. The way he had the thing going around the twisties and just leaning, you think it would just tip over because of the weight. He was just throwing that thing around as if he was on a lesser weight sport bike. Hubby made it look like child's play. Quite an amazing spectacle to say the least. It's always a pleasure watching him ride.
Joyce