PDA

View Full Version : Well that can't be right... panel fit around the panniers?!

spyderider1
04-22-2021, 05:19 PM
Thought I'd throw this out there for those more skilled/experienced than I. Here's the scenario; Took the panels off my 2016 RTS to do some cleaning underneath like dust, oil residue, etc. Put the panels back on in proper sequence but find that the last, bottom screw/fastener doesn't hold. As pictured, the screw is tight in the fastener but it doesn't hold the tail of the panel snug. All other panels and fasteners are snug and in position.

Consequently, my saddle bag closes hard and opens even harder. What'd I miss? Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

Snoking1127
04-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Thought I'd throw this out there for those more skilled/experienced than I. Here's the scenario; Took the panels off my 2016 RTS to do some cleaning underneath like dust, oil residue, etc. Put the panels back on in proper sequence but find that the last, bottom screw/fastener doesn't hold. As pictured, the screw is tight in the fastener but it doesn't hold the tail of the panel snug. All other panels and fasteners are snug and in position.

Consequently, my saddle bag closes hard and opens even harder. What'd I miss? Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

Something is installed wrong. No tupperware between the screw and the clip on nut. The bottom tab pictured needs to be out in front of the clip on nut and the screw going through it.

Peter Aawen
04-22-2021, 05:59 PM
:agree: . It looks like you've got the 'tub' of the pannier behind the panel it's meant to bolt onto! :shocked:

The lip of the tub that we can see behind the tab & screw in your pic should be in front of that tab & screw, as should all the others securing that tub & the panel, so that ONLY the screw heads are visible on the lip around the outside of the tub! :lecturef_smilie:

I'd post a pic of the pannier tub surrounds that'd help explain, except I'm sorta restricted in mobility atm & can't get near the Spyder - can anyone else take a pic & post it up?? :dontknow:

trikermutha
04-22-2021, 06:08 PM
Yep:agree: too. What they said. That plastic should be on the outside of that clip.

spyderider1
04-22-2021, 06:29 PM
That's gotta be it, cart before the horse. Thanks for the input.

Bfromla
04-22-2021, 06:51 PM
Have found when having similar troubles:sour::dontknow: take apart & starts @ problem first (get it out of the way) then finish assembly order like before. Works most times anyway:dontknow::popcorn::coffee:

Saluda
04-22-2021, 08:40 PM
With my memory I take pics with my phone as I go.