PDA

View Full Version : Bad Key Message

irish2themax
09-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Today on the way home from my dealer, I experienced a tremendous surging problem. Spyder would cut off and then surge ahead...varying between 25 mph and 60 mph. I kept getting the Bad Key message.

Any idea what might have caused this? Do I just need to get my key reprogrammed or is it something else?

Tom in NM
09-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Irish, did you call your dealer. What did they say?
What did you have it in for?

And, the ever popular - did you check to make sure all your fuses are firmly seated?

Tom

NancysToy
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I suspect a bad ignition security module. Try your other key, though, it may work. Beyond that, see your dealer. A "Bad Key" message is not common if you have loose relays, but I'd check anyway. Also check for looses battery connections...the real ones on the battery, not the jumper connections under the seat.

bone crusher
09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Today on the way home from my dealer, I experienced a tremendous surging problem. Spyder would cut off and then surge ahead...varying between 25 mph and 60 mph. I kept getting the Bad Key message.

Any idea what might have caused this? Do I just need to get my key reprogrammed or is it something else?

Yikes...to the dealer you go...can't have that happening!

irish2themax
09-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Yikes...to the dealer you go...can't have that happening!

I agree BC...should have it taken care of by next week if the new key doesn't do the job

Irish, did you call your dealer. What did they say?
What did you have it in for?

And, the ever popular - did you check to make sure all your fuses are firmly seated?

Tom

It was at the dealer's to install the new radio, have the brakes replaced, and put in a green filter. Nothing that complicated or unusual. Going to ride it later with the 2nd key and see if it was just a key problem.

Called dealer and they were going to call BRP. They don't open for another hour so I haven't heard what they found out.

bone crusher
09-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree BC...should have it taken care of by next week if the new key doesn't do the job

It was at the dealer's to install the new radio, have the brakes replaced, and put in a green filter. Nothing that complicated or unusual. Going to ride it later with the 2nd key and see if it was just a key problem.

Called dealer and they were going to call BRP. They don't open for another hour so I haven't heard what they found out.

Odd problem but probably easier to correct than others...I'd tell you how to hot-wire the bike, but I don't know how and I'm not even sure it can be done...:D

irish2themax
09-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Apparently, the Bad Key message is exactly what the problem was. I rode her with the 2nd key just now and all went well. Drove city streets, mall parking lot, and Interstate with speeds from 15 mph to 80 mph...not a sputter.

I'll get the other key recoded next week.

bdwheat
09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I had the "Bad Key" message a few months back and the dealer found a broke wire on the sensor the reads the key. They repaired the wire and have no more problems.

bone crusher
09-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Apparently, the Bad Key message is exactly what the problem was. I rode her with the 2nd key just now and all went well. Drove city streets, mall parking lot, and Interstate with speeds from 15 mph to 80 mph...not a sputter.

I'll get the other key recoded next week.

Too bad all problems aren't fixed this easily...ahhhhhh...;)