PDA

View Full Version : RT Pricing

wps52
09-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Hello, I new to the group. Been researching Spyders for a couple of months and rode a 2009 spyder last week at a Can Am demo in Columbus, Ga and really liked it. I've decided to take the plunge. I called 3 different dealers today (I'm in Georgia, 2 were in Ga and 1 in Florida)to get some quotes on the new RT. I know it is brand new but thought they may be able to give me a ball park of what they could give off of msrp. Only one dealer had any idea what I was talking about. He emailed me about 2 hours later with a quote for the base RT of $28500 including tax. I explained that was about $7500 over the msrp of $20995. He said that was what it would be for the base model for a preorder. Can anybody give me any info on what the 2009s were discounted off of msrp? The dealers I spoke with didn't know anything about the 2009 spyder much less the 2010 yet all 3 were listed as premier polaris/can am dealers on the Spyder web sit. Any help appreciated and maybe a recomendation for a dealer in the Ga area that actually know what a Spyder is?

Thanks for the help,
Pat

wps52
09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
As a followup to my own question, the dealer wrote back to say that was a quote on the rt-s not the base model and included a $300 doc fee and a $1300 prep/setup fee. No discount off of msrp. Is that normal on the spyders?

Pat

MRFIRE
09-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Try calling some of the Alabama dealers. Big 1 in birmingham and there is a dealer in hamilton. i'm not sure if they are up on the 2010 model but they should be able to help with 2009 info.

dave01
09-03-2009, 03:41 PM
I have my RT-s locked in at 25000 plus 450 freight and a small setup fee. This does'nt include the trailer I ordered though. I have a great dealer in Fl and have been buying from them for quite a few years, 2 GSXR 1000's, 1 Hayabusa, 1 honda quad, a Suzuki quad, a B-king and of course he current Spyder. I think I really live there and only come home to change and shower...LOL

BillGargan
09-03-2009, 03:44 PM
This is a brand new model. I think you are working on funny-terbacky if you think you will get a discount off list on the RT models -- at least now. We shall see as summer wanes into fall and fall wanes into winter. Prices may soften some -- less so in the warmer areas of the world where demand is not as seasonal as the colder climes.

If you expect a discount, talk to them about the 2009 or the base model of the 2010 RS. Those are unchanged and will likely sell slower than the RT model(s). According to some of the rumbles on the two forums, there may still be some virgin 2008s available somewhere -- and those should clearly have softer prices.

When I got my 2009 SE5 back in April -- my dealer was kind and gave me a fair and reasonable price adjustment off list. Another dealer I spoke to that is actually closer to home would not entertain any adjustment on price.

cdragut
09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I have my RT-s locked in at 25000 plus 450 freight and a small setup fee. This does'nt include the trailer I ordered though. I have a great dealer in Fl and have been buying from them for quite a few years, 2 GSXR 1000's, 1 Hayabusa, 1 honda quad, a Suzuki quad, a B-king and of course he current Spyder. I think I really live there and only come home to change and shower...LOL

hi dave!
what dealer in fl are you talking about?... i live in jax...
thanks...

wps52
09-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies. Guess I was being naive to think there may be a discount off of msrp. The dealer in Florida wrote again to say when the spyders first came out many dealers were adding $1500 over msrp. He did not do that but apprently does charge a $1300 set up which seem high to me. Having seen how much new motorcycles are being dicounted in this economy, I was expecting about the same. Apparently there is a very large demand for the Spyders and this dealer expected all the rt to be sold out by delivery date

Best,
Pat

dave01
09-03-2009, 04:05 PM
hi dave!
what dealer in fl are you talking about?... i live in jax...
thanks...
West coast Powersports in Clearwtaer. Ask for Dave Myers...

Bersquack
09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
The only way you'll get a discount off MSRP is if the dealer wants to eat some of his margin. We are talking preorder here. It's not like they have surplus inventory. I'm not saying it is impossible, but the economic conditions I would not let go of profit.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

BillGargan
09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies. Guess I was being naive to think there may be a discount off of msrp. The dealer in Florida wrote again to say when the spyders first came out many dealers were adding $1500 over msrp. He did not do that but apprently does charge a $1300 set up which seem high to me. Having seen how much new motorcycles are being dicounted in this economy, I was expecting about the same. Apparently there is a very large demand for the Spyders and this dealer expected all the rt to be sold out by delivery date

Best,
Pat

Of course this is many, many moons ago . . . When Chrysler first came out with the MiniVan, the demand was outrageous. If you went to a dealer and looked at the sticker you would see an addiotonal piece of paper somewhere near it. Depending on which dealer you went to the words on that paper varied and the amount varied -- but, that piece of paper showed the base sticker price and an item such as "Market Value Adjustment" and an amount typically $3,500 -- and the total price.

When they can, dealers will adjust to demand. If demand is high they are limited in their willingness to adjust prices downward. If demand is low they are more willing to adjust prices downward. If demand is ridiculously high they add to the price rather than adjust downward. If demand is ridiculously low they might eventually be willing to take a loss to get rid of the inventory.

I would not expect to see lots of flexibility on RT pricing for the time being.

bjt
09-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Intead of trying to compare the new RT to what 2009 models sell for, you'd probably get a better gauge as to what is reasonable RT pricing by finding out what Premier Edition Spyders sold for in 2007. That's the same scenario they have going on now with the RT. For the record, we paid MSRP for our Premier Edition Spyders and there were other charges (dealer prep, shipping, etc.)similar to what you are posting. Our out the door price was a lot closer to $16500 than the $14500 MSRP.

wps52
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Intead of trying to compare the new RT to what 2009 models sell for, you'd probably get a better gauge as to what is reasonable RT pricing by finding out what Premier Edition Spyders sold for in 2007. That's the same scenario they have going on now with the RT. For the record, we paid MSRP for our Premier Edition Spyders and there were other charges (dealer prep, shipping, etc.)similar to what you are posting. Our out the door price was a lot closer to $16500 than the $14500 MSRP.

That's what I'm pretty much finding out. The rt-s looks like out the door will be close to $4000 more then msrp. I did contact a dealer in Alabama that is checking a few things out and may be able to do something but we'll see.

Thanks for the help,
WPS

BumbleBee
09-03-2009, 06:03 PM
welcome You came to the right site.

MRFIRE
09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
That's what I'm pretty much finding out. The rt-s looks like out the door will be close to $4000 more then msrp. I did contact a dealer in Alabama that is checking a few things out and may be able to do something but we'll see.

Thanks for the help,
WPS

Keep us posted:2thumbs:

burg650
09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Why the rush to get a RT, just wait a few months after they are out and deals will be made. As usual first ones out will always be way over priced and remember all the problems the 08's are having now do you think the RT's will be any different I think not.

M2Wild
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Spending over $25K on any "motorcycle" is just plain nuts. Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I prefer to buy waterfront properties instead. Wait a while (winter is coming) and save yourself $10K

NancysToy
09-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Spending over $25K on any "motorcycle" is just plain nuts. Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I prefer to buy waterfront properties instead. Wait a while (winter is coming) and save yourself $10K
This is pretty much a personal decision, much akin to choosing a $40K Mercedes over a $25K Ford. Personal choices...personal decisions.

wps52
09-04-2009, 05:37 PM
This is pretty much a personal decision, much akin to choosing a $40K Mercedes over a $25K Ford. Personal choices...personal decisions.
:agree:

Roaddog2
09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I would think in these times there will be plenty of left overs toward the end of next year alot of dealers still have some 08 models and the way they operated on the initial roll out they were not on time so what I'm trying to say a little patience should save you alot of dough :doorag:

retread
09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
It took me some really serious thought about this, but I'm going to wait a while, I've got my Spyder, set up pretty close to how I want it, and I don't want to go into debt right now...so I'll put cash aside, ryde my Spyder, and when I can pay cash for a new one, I will. Love the looks of the RT, and the trailer, but can't / won't right now. Next year's coming.

john

jabba11
09-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I agree that this is a new model and asking for a discount might be out of the question till there is stock on the floor for awhile. That being said I got my 09 phantom for 15,000.00 out the door and I beleive list was around 19,000?? thats what I recall, and I could have had a 09 sm5 for standard model for 1500.00 less than that, both of which I felt were good solid deals.

barb36jack31
09-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I bought the original Spyder, PE #600 for the $14995 PLUS TAX, TAG TITLE ETC. Put the deposit down in March, 2007 and took delivery in December, 2007. I was entranced by the looks of the rig. Sort of like a mini space ship. Totally unique. The new RT doesn't ring my bell at all. I am not a long haul rider, so the original Spyder does me just fine. I hope the new RT is everything everyone wants it to be, but I will just stick to my Spyder as she sits now. Having said all that, I will follow avidly all the reports of test rides and experiences of new owners when the RT is released.

Buen suerte, amigos!

czdaryle
09-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the help,
WPS

Man $30,000 out the door! That is close to double...man I wish I won the lottery..I would love one, but I can't justify $30,000....darn

wps52
09-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Man $30,000 out the door! That is close to double...man I wish I won the lottery..I would love one, but I can't justify $30,000....darn

Well actually I was quoted $28500 out the door for the rt-s. I think msrp is 24500 or 24900.

WPS

vwatso
09-07-2009, 08:20 AM
ordered mine on the first day. RTS with the trailer. Everyone around keeps asking me if I will sell my 08. No plans on getting rid of it! I will probably end up trying to sell some of the extra accessories and stock items.
(2) original seats. (2) extra full sets of panels,(5) windsheilds lots of extras. Learned and bought over this last year and still planning on upgrades for the 08. will get full list together and post on the fore sale board soon.

vwatso

wps52
09-07-2009, 08:39 AM
ordered mine on the first day. RTS with the trailer. Everyone around keeps asking me if I will sell my 08. No plans on getting rid of it! I will probably end up trying to sell some of the extra accessories and stock items.
(2) original seats. (2) extra full sets of panels,(5) windsheilds lots of extras. Learned and bought over this last year and still planning on upgrades for the 08. will get full list together and post on the fore sale board soon.vwatso

Congratulations! I have contacted 3 different dealers to try and pre-order and have not heard back from a single one. I did get a price from one but he was unsure on taking an order.

WPS

Derwin
09-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Are you telling me that dealers are not selling these at msrp?

I've got a call into our local dealer here in Wilmington, Illinois, and I've yet to hear back from him. But if he quotes me anything over the msrp, then I'll have to pass.

Is that "normal" for dealers to do that?

Derwin

wps52
09-07-2009, 09:01 AM

I've got a call into our local dealer here in Wilmington, Illinois, and I've yet to hear back from him. But if he quotes me anything over the msrp, then I'll have to pass.

Derwin
For the one quote I did receive it was msrp plus 300 doc fee plus 1300 setup plus tax and tag. Total was $28500 for the rt-s.

WPS

bjt
09-07-2009, 09:01 AM

Derwin

On "hot" vehicles, especially cars, dealerships will charge over MSRP and they'll get it because some people will pay whatever it takes to get a vehicle they want. Capitalism 101 - the law of supply and demand.

dltang
09-07-2009, 09:05 AM
On "hot" vehicles, especially cars, dealerships will charge over MSRP and they'll get it because some people will pay whatever it takes to get a vehicle they want. Capitalism 101 - the law of supply and demand.
Also, just like when the Spyder first came out. We all payed MSRP plus whatever our state tax was and whatever our individual dealer delivery and set up fees were. I remember Brian and I paid a little over $16,000 out the door and folks in CA were paying between $18000-$20000 due to hugh delivery and set up fees. There will eventually be deals to be had, but don't look for them in the beginning, I do believe they will be few and far between. As but mentioned, capitalism and supply and demand are big components here.

Derwin
09-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Capitalism 101 - the law of supply and demand.

Yepper. I love Capitalism, and understand all about supply and demand. But I'm one of those people that just don't like to pay OVER msrp. Heck, I don't even like paying msrp!

I'm going to give my dealer a call and let you all know what I find out.

Derwin

bjt
09-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Yepper. I love Capitalism, and understand all about supply and demand. But I'm one of those people that just don't like to pay OVER msrp. Heck, I don't even like paying msrp!

I'm going to give my dealer a call and let you all know what I find out.

Derwin

So you're looking at an RT now or are you still considering getting the RS SE5?

Derwin
09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
So you're looking at an RT now or are you still considering getting the RS SE5?

Are you kidding? After seeing this new touring model, I'm completely sold on that! This is P-E-R-F-E-C-T for me, and a vehicle that I have ALWAYS wanted and dreamed of. The way that you can sit upright and the overall look of it is simply incredible. I'm in love with this thing...seriously!

So, yes, I am definitely desiring to get the RT version. Now I just have to get the money! LOL! But that just means I have to build a lot of websites for people to EARN the money. Shouldn't be a huge problem.... I hope.

Actually, I have it posted at the forum I own for the other vehicle I'm waiting on.... http://flytheroadclub.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=15224#post15224

Derwin

Firefly
09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Also, just like when the Spyder first came out. We all payed MSRP plus whatever our state tax was and whatever our individual dealer delivery and set up fees were. I remember Brian and I paid a little over $16,000 out the door and folks in CA were paying between $18000-$20000 due to hugh delivery and set up fees. There will eventually be deals to be had, but don't look for them in the beginning, I do believe they will be few and far between. As but mentioned, capitalism and supply and demand are big components here.

:agree:
Yupper- we all paid around the $14,995.00 MSRP + prep, tax, etc...
Some states like CA were charging much more--- and the MSRP went up $500 not too long after we all go ours.

While I'm not really looking at the RT--- $25K for a bike loaded like that thing is---- is a heck of deal. Try getting an HD or GW loaded like that---- especially if you want a trike--- and you'll pay a lot more.

The real deals will be on 2008 and 2009 models right now.

tatt2r
09-07-2009, 04:14 PM

my ex wife gets double that per year ... i'd rather spend it on 2 spyders:D

Derwin
09-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Spending over $25K on any "motorcycle" is just plain nuts. Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I prefer to buy waterfront properties instead.

Waterfront (Oceanfront!) property in Arizona? LOL!

my ex wife gets double that per year ... i'd rather spend it on 2 spyders:D

Amen, brother! It's all relative. There's people buying vehicles every day of the week for $20 + thousand dollars. Well, this is far more than a vehicle.... it's something that can make you feel GOOD about driving around. What kind of price can you put on that? To me, around 25k!

BRP didn't only hit a home run with this RT model, but they hit a GRAND SLAM! :2thumbs:

Derwin

northramp
09-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Derwin:

MSRP.. The S stands for Suggested...

aka1004
09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
price i am willing to pay for rt a/c or rt-s will depend on what i see at the spyders in smokies and lamonts report on acceleration on rt.
only thing stand between me and rt will be too much loss of acceleration and high position of handlebar. if i like what i see at the smokies i will go ahead and order(at msrp) but even if it's just little bit iffy, i will wait till dealer gets them on their floor.
i do like the sportyness of the spyder but since spyder now is my only transportation and i like to take long trips, i do need all the things rt has to offer but i am only willing to take so much sacrifice on performance as i ryde my spyder like i am on a crotch rocket.

on the first spyder price was not an issue for a revolutionary machine like this but rt or rt-s is another story. i know it's goldwing on three wheels at a decent price but still we are pushing 30k. by the way, i don't think comparison to goldwing or how goldwing-like rt is a insult when you consider it's goldwing!!!