PDA

View Full Version : Top rack luggage bag, which one?

Wmoater
03-29-2021, 08:53 PM
I’ve done all kinds of searches and can only find a few pictures of motorcycle bags on “top racks” on RT’s. What bags do you use or recommend for a top rack? Will be using it for extra jacket, dunce caps, or cloths since not a lot of weight should be put on trunk. Will have a passenger so can’t use her seat:roflblack:

Lew L
03-29-2021, 09:29 PM

Might depend on the typs of rack you've got on you spyder. I use a rectangular bag for the rain suits, half cover, spray detailer w/ cloth, and a few other light weight sundries. I would suggest a smaller, rounder bag if you have the angled tube rack. I Have the rack that is safety chrome :joke: , that's parallel the the ground so the HMB light shines through.

Lew L

RICZ
03-29-2021, 10:21 PM
I would go to mc accessory stores and look them over. When I find a good candidate, I ask if I can take it out and try it on my bike. I've never been turned down and I always get a good fit. Of course, I buy it there and not go on line to save a couple bucks.

BigLenny
03-30-2021, 07:27 AM
Wmoater,
We use a Saddlemen TR2300DE, and love it. We use it to carry the kind of stuff you mentioned. The versatility of this bag is great! We have used Saddlemen products for years as we be travelled across our nation, and their quality is top notch.

Doc McCoy
03-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Wmoater,
We use a Saddlemen TR2300DE, and love it. We use it to carry the kind of stuff you mentioned. The versatility of this bag is great! We have used Saddlemen products for years as we be travelled across our nation, and their quality is top notch.

that is a nice bag indeed

crossbowme
03-30-2021, 10:33 AM
Better check your rack/BRP info. My last motorcycle had a limit of 5 pounds on the rack. That included the bag - that's not much! Don't know what the RT limit is.

pegasus1300
03-30-2021, 11:19 AM
Ultraguard Touring rack bag by Hopnel. Fits the rack perfectly and lasts forever,. Back in the day these were designed for Goldwings,Ventures etc. They even came in matching colors. Now just Black but they fit theValue Accessories rack just fine. VA also sells these bags at a discount. I keep my Can Am rain gear and 2 sets of froggtoggs. It also has small pockets for sunscreen or gloves or glasses or? Also an included rain cover tethered to the bag in its own pocket. I've had mine for 30 years,so it holds up pretty well. Bought back in the day and apperantly I had a Brown bike as my bag is(faded)Brown which kind of matches my current Lava Bronze Spyder.

https://store.valueaccessories.net/UltraGardTouringLuggageRackBag.aspx

BigLenny
03-30-2021, 01:50 PM
Something to consider as you ride with the bag on the rack: Be diligent about not allowing anything to touch the paint on the trunk lid. Last October, we took a trip out west to Arizona, NM, Utah, Nevada. One of the days I decided to put the rain cover on the bag because there was rain forecasted. At the end of the day, I discovered the little lightweight plastic elastic drawstring tensioner had worked its way loose from the place that I had tucked it into, and was laying on the painted lid. The vibration from the wind had caused it to leave a rubbed spot in the paint about the size of a quarter. Pissed me off. LOL.
Just sayin, keep an eye on it.

Wmoater
03-30-2021, 07:09 PM
Wmoater,

That is a nice bag! I haven’t seen that one. That’s the size I’m looking for. I like the 1300 version too. I was looking at the Viking and Nelson Riggs versions that are similar too. I’m going to have to start calling and some bigger city bike stores to physically see some. None of my off-road shops carry any luggage bags. The Harley store does but only Harley leather stuff and I’m not interested in that. Keep the suggestions coming.

Northofthesix
03-30-2021, 07:39 PM
I have a Kuryakyn top rack bag I bought a couple bikes ago when I had my Harley... fits perfect, holds a change of clothes and shower bag for those quick overnight stops when I I can lock everything else in the frunk/trunk/saddlebags.

https://fortnine.ca/en/kuryakyn-momentum-hitchhiker-trunk-rack-bag-5281?pk_cid=1768300489&pk_campaign=pla-677165538910&pk_kwd=&pk_source=google&pk_medium=paid&pk_content=70393578393&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJfqhKXZ7wIVNgCiAx15ewWDEAYYBiAB EgIfc_D_BwE

Wmoater
03-30-2021, 08:03 PM
Momentum makes a nice bag but all of them are to big. I’ve seen them in person. My rack is 19 wide and 12 deep. With a passenger yours will be right at her back.

Mickywatch
03-30-2021, 09:06 PM
Diamond R Accessories
I love mine.

BigLenny
03-31-2021, 03:10 PM
That is a nice bag! I haven’t seen that one. That’s the size I’m looking for. I like the 1300 version too. I was looking at the Viking and Nelson Riggs versions that are similar too. I’m going to have to start calling and some bigger city bike stores to physically see some. None of my off-road shops carry any luggage bags. The Harley store does but only Harley leather stuff and I’m not interested in that. Keep the suggestions coming.

We had the 1300 also. We used it as roll top bag to clip on top of our Saddlemen S2000E bag, for weekend trips. We had the big, honkin S3200DE bag for 1 and 2 week trips. We would clip our 1300 (R1300LXE) bag on top of it too.
When we bought our Spyder RTL last October, I bought the top case rack the next day from SpyderPops, installed it that night, and went the next day and bought the Saddlemen TR2300DE to sit on the rack, and it fits perfect.
I sold our motorcycle two weeks ago, and gave the new owner all of the Saddlemen bags we had been using on it. Plus, I gave him a tank bag, and two sets of brand new brake pads. Man, was I drunk or something? Lol.

RayBJ
03-31-2021, 04:24 PM
Momentum makes a nice bag but all of them are to big. I’ve seen them in person. My rack is 19 wide and 12 deep. With a passenger yours will be right at her back.
Try this:

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/firstgear-torrent-duffle-bag?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5CDBhB9EiwA0w6sLYtLfw1js_dSlEEK qrzvgzxirELB9QtU-v_m35iqehgL_afiRWC59RoC1BwQAvD_BwE&sku_id=1653774

I have one and it's 100% waterproof and easy top-opening instead of duffel bag end opening. The 25L bag is perfect fit (19x12).

Scotts8826
03-31-2021, 06:01 PM
I have a bag from Ironside. It is about 16" by 12" and fit perfectly on my rear rack from Diamond R. This was a perfect size for my overnight bag. Overall, I've been happy with it. Lots of bags will work but i have two suggestions. Make sure your bag is waterproof. Mine has a rain cover. I will admit it was a deluge of a rainstorm but my stuff did get wet even with the rain cover. Second, mine also has attached tie downs which gave me an extra sense of confidence even with additional straps. I have since sold my previous RT and now have a 2020 so no more rack.

Shadow71
04-01-2021, 02:39 PM
Something to consider as you ride with the bag on the rack: Be diligent about not allowing anything to touch the paint on the trunk lid. Last October, we took a trip out west to Arizona, NM, Utah, Nevada. One of the days I decided to put the rain cover on the bag because there was rain forecasted. At the end of the day, I discovered the little lightweight plastic elastic drawstring tensioner had worked its way loose from the place that I had tucked it into, and was laying on the painted lid. The vibration from the wind had caused it to leave a rubbed spot in the paint about the size of a quarter. Pissed me off. LOL.
Just sayin, keep an eye on it.

I'm worried about rubbing like this happening.
I would only load a bag with anything on the trunk rack for extra storage during a trip.
I've bumped jackets to the trunk rack of my Road Glide and ended up with rubs, and the Harley paint is HARDER than that on the Spyder.

Anyone have a wrap on the trunk lid and then install the rack?

I haven't installed my BPR rack, wanted a black rack, yet, as researching the wrap first.

spyder01
04-01-2021, 05:56 PM
I have an 18-year-old Kuryakin that sits on my Rivco extendable rack. I never go over 20lbs, and it has a built-in rain cover.

ThreeWheels
04-01-2021, 06:07 PM
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=184749&d=1600479824

Wmoater
04-01-2021, 06:30 PM
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=184749&d=1600479824

Now that’s a bag! My wife could sleep in that thing.:roflblack: what is the manufacture, Nelson Riggs? I just saw this bag from them fits the sizes. It’s the traveler lite rack bag. 18 x 12 x 10. Don’t know much about Nelson Riggs except covers and rain gear.

Wmoater
04-01-2021, 06:34 PM
I have an 18-year-old Kuryakin that sits on my Rivco extendable rack. I never go over 20lbs, and it has a built-in rain cover.

Which Kuryakin? I really like the looks of the Kuryakin Momentum Vagabond Sissy Bar Bag but is just too tall, I think. I am leaning towards the Saddle Men 2300, but I also like the 1300. I want to see these 3 bags in person. Keep them coming!

motoguzziman
04-02-2021, 11:32 AM
I used a Nelson Rigg dry bag when going cross country on my motorcycle. It is about 11 x 11 x 21. Keeps everything nice and dry even in the worst weather. Now have a 2020 RT with the LinQ semi rigid bag on the back so not sure if it can be strapped on top, but definitely if I am by myself, it will go on the back seat with no problem. Has several nice anchor points.

BigLenny
04-02-2021, 12:34 PM
I'm worried about rubbing like this happening.
I would only load a bag with anything on the trunk rack for extra storage during a trip.
I've bumped jackets to the trunk rack of my Road Glide and ended up with rubs, and the Harley paint is HARDER than that on the Spyder.

Anyone have a wrap on the trunk lid and then install the rack?

I haven't installed my BPR rack, wanted a black rack, yet, as researching the wrap first.

Shadow71, I have now purchased a wrap from Wrapmyspyder to install on the lid. Just waiting on the weather to warm up before I install it. Recommended 70 degrees or higher to install.

JayBros
04-02-2021, 05:14 PM
I don't have a trunk rack and tour without the bride, but based on many hundreds of miles of bicycle touring in heavy rain I would recommend a simple dry bag. I am very partial to the Ortlieb brand but it appears they no longer produce them. In such case I suggest Firstgear, https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/firstgear-torrent-duffle-bag?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5CDBhB9EiwA0w6sLYtLfw1js_dSlEEK qrzvgzxirELB9QtU-v_m35iqehgL_afiRWC59RoC1BwQAvD_BwE&sku_id=1653774, that come in three sizes and Bajaron sells them at prices that probably beat Cycle Gear and he's a SL sponsor.

crossbowme
04-03-2021, 11:13 AM
I don't have a trunk rack and tour without the bride, but based on many hundreds of miles of bicycle touring in heavy rain I would recommend a simple dry bag. I am very partial to the Ortlieb brand but it appears they no longer produce them. In such case I suggest Firstgear, https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/firstgear-torrent-duffle-bag?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5CDBhB9EiwA0w6sLYtLfw1js_dSlEEK qrzvgzxirELB9QtU-v_m35iqehgL_afiRWC59RoC1BwQAvD_BwE&sku_id=1653774, that come in three sizes and Bajaron sells them at prices that probably beat Cycle Gear and he's a SL sponsor.

I too have done days in the rain. My favorite is an old Army pack (without frame) and surplus waterproof bag inside. It has never leaked but not as pretty as some of the $3-500 commercial waterproof bags. Now, with this S2S model, it has custom bags with it so I probably won't need my old pack.

safecracker
04-03-2021, 08:05 PM
We use an old duffle bag.

JayBros
04-03-2021, 08:14 PM
In 2001 Ortlieb USA advertised their loaded dry bags would float. Bicycling across the country that summer I threw mine in which I carried my camping gear into the Lochsa River in ID and it did in fact float; and not a drop leaked into the bag.

Wmoater
04-03-2021, 09:39 PM
I used to white water kayak and we went down rivers ever weekend. I had a Baja dry bag and I’d actually float it behind the yak on calm water. Nothing ever got wet. I like the cycle gear idea but just afraid of it tearing if I put a bungee mesh over it. Also it has no shape. Afraid if I put 2 helmets inside it won’t be solid. We used a duffle bag last year and bungie net over with our heavy jackets under it. Sometimes we’d wear the jackets and bungie wrapped the dunce helmets over. I like the idea of using it as the rain cover though. I’d actually use the saddlemen inside the dry bag so it doesn’t buff the paint.

ThreeWheels
04-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Now that’s a bag! My wife could sleep in that thing.:roflblack: what is the manufacture, Nelson Riggs? I just saw this bag from them fits the sizes. It’s the traveler lite rack bag. 18 x 12 x 10. Don’t know much about Nelson Riggs accept covers and rain gear.

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-NR-300-Traveler-Roadmaster/dp/B07HCTC2ZR/ref=asc_df_B07HCTC2ZR/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589102323375&psc=1